$760 in taxes, is that right?

Old Oct 16, 08, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
$760 in taxes, is that right?

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to book an award ticket in Upper Class for 100,000 flying club points and it appears that taxes and fees are over $760 USD. Is this correct? Why is this so high?

The flight is r/t between LAX and LHR.

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere, I wasn't able to find an appropriate thread.

Last edited by traveladam; Oct 16, 08 at 1:29 pm Reason: including departure / arrival cities
Old Oct 16, 08, 1:39 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Spire/Amb, SPG Gld, HH Gld
That sounds about right. Same seat on the same plane booked using CO miles is <$200, so it's not too hard to figure out how much is "taxes" and how much is "fees".

Blame the bearded one....
Old Oct 16, 08, 2:34 pm

Seems right to me, I paid 408 in taxes and fees on my most recent reward booking.
Old Oct 16, 08, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Ok thanks for the information.

Any idea why it is so much higher than competitors on the same route?
Old Oct 16, 08, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

virgin ( and BA)amongst add the fuel charge as part of taxes and fees and not the main fare so you still have to pay it on an award ticket. For Upper class to LAX it is around 129 each way around $400 approx return.

Some US carriers do not charge the fuel surcharge on award tickets I think

Regards

TBS
Old Oct 16, 08, 3:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Its the Fuel surcharge which has remained unchanged for Upper Class. It was reduced slight for PE and Y very recently. It remains at GBP 113 one way for longer routes in Upper Class (GBP 113 x 2 (return flight) x 1.75 (exchange rate) = $396. Now throw in another $200+ to cover airport taxes (LHR is pricey) and that should bring you up to your taxes and fees.

The taxes appears high if you are using redemption miles and see the full impact of the tax and fuel surcharge.

VS keeps its basic fare low and charges a fuel surcharge which brings the fares up to that of other airlines. So far, VS premium cabins are still showing high loads so competition cannot be that much of an issue.

UK airlines tend to be profitability by charging for seats in the premium cabins rather than providing free upgrades to frequent flyers or not charging fuel surcharge on award seats. Its a very different approach from US airlines but appears to work.

Last edited by KenJohn; Oct 16, 08 at 3:58 pm
Old Oct 16, 08, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Fuel surcharges. I never use miles with foreign airlines, DL and NW for this reason.
Old Oct 17, 08, 10:27 am

I booked SFO-LHR (departing next week!) about 6 months ago, 100,000 miles + $600 in fuel, fees, etc.
Old Oct 17, 08, 2:38 pm

Booked Business class through Continental for $260

Booking award tickets with US carriers makes more sense.

Used my CO miles from LAX- LHR with VS then conecting to PRG with KO. My return from BLQ to CDG to LHR with AF, then the last leg with VS again from LHR to LAX. All of these segments in Business Class and the taxes were only $260 usd.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: