100,000 Miles - is it worth it?

Old Jul 15, 08, 6:55 am
Original Poster

100,000 Miles - is it worth it?

So, my situation is thus:

My GF and I both have 65000 miles and am contemplating taking another PE flight each to push us nearer to the 100k i need for a UC reward flight. However, I don't want to hit that reward only to discover that we can't actually use the miles to fly.

Is redemption availability pretty good (on a par with BA for example) and would you recommend pursuing VS miles in order to get a redemption.

Cheers
Old Jul 15, 08, 7:04 am

Programs: Lots of shiny metallic ones.
Depends on the route/time of year. Any destinations/months in mind specifically?
Old Jul 15, 08, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by preiffer View Post
Depends on the route/time of year. Any destinations/months in mind specifically?
Probably San Fran or Tokyo around April time. I can be really flexible on destination and dates though so if we're saying I can find 2 seats somewhere at sometime, then that's probably all I really need to know
Old Jul 15, 08, 7:56 am

if you have flexibility, during that time of the year I've been able to find seats on their site!
Old Jul 15, 08, 8:30 am

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
Generally there's good award availability all year round on the NRT route in all classes but availability is usually restricted to mid-week.

On the SFO route availability is more restricted during July-September but if you're looking to book for April next year then it shouldn't be a problem to find 2 seats if you are flexible enough.
Old Jul 15, 08, 9:49 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
Originally Posted by UK flyer View Post
On the SFO route availability is more restricted during July-September ........
I don't agree with that - this year there was excellent availability every day in July - most days had 3 G seats in UC. I booked 3 UC reward flights for my first choice dates.

Nick
Old Jul 15, 08, 10:33 am

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
Originally Posted by Nottingham Nick View Post
I don't agree with that - this year there was excellent availability every day in July - most days had 3 G seats in UC. I booked 3 UC reward flights for my first choice dates.

Nick
I don't doubt that. I'm sure there is plenty of award availability if you can book 10 or 11 months ahead but I can't do that. I never book flights, whether paid or award, more than a month ahead, and very, very rarely 2 months ahead.

I just did a quick check on award availability and the nearest date I can get 2 award seats in Upper Class to SFO is September 3rd. And there are only 6 dates in September with 2 award seats available. There is absolutely nothing for the rest of July and August. But that's to be expected. July-September is peak season on the SFO route after all. On the NRT route award availability is wide open for the rest of the year, including right up to Christmas. So if you can't book 330 days in advance (like me) don't expect to get 3 G seats at short notice during peak season on the SFO route.
Old Jul 17, 08, 1:53 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Smile A favour, please

At the risk of this getting lost here (but I didn't want to start a new thread) may I ask a favour, please?

I am thinking of blowing a whack of SA Voyager miles on some VS awards. Since I don't have a Flying Club account I can't check availability and I don't want to start planning around this possibility if there is zero award availability on my (very specific) dates. Could someone be so very kind as to check if there are 2 UC awards available for LON-NYC on 5 October and NYC-LON on 9 October?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 17, 08, 2:23 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA View Post
At the risk of this getting lost here (but I didn't want to start a new thread) may I ask a favour, please?

I am thinking of blowing a whack of SA Voyager miles on some VS awards. Since I don't have a Flying Club account I can't check availability and I don't want to start planning around this possibility if there is zero award availability on my (very specific) dates. Could someone be so very kind as to check if there are 2 UC awards available for LON-NYC on 5 October and NYC-LON on 9 October?

Thanks in advance!
There's only 1 UC seat on Oct 5 but plenty of PE availability. There's also plenty of UC availability on Oct 4 and 6.

Oct 9 has UC availability on the daytime flights only. There's overnight UC availability on Oct 8 and 10. There's overnight PE availability on Oct 9.

Hope that helps.^
Old Jul 17, 08, 2:25 am
NoY

Programs: BA Emerald, EY Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire Ambassador, QR & TAP bye bye

Thanks in advance!
Only 1 x seat outbound on 5th Oct (there are 2 x seats on 4th & 6th though) but there are 2 x seats available inbound on the 9th......
Old Jul 17, 08, 3:09 am

Originally Posted by NoY View Post
Only 1 x seat outbound on 5th Oct (there are 2 x seats on 4th & 6th though) but there are 2 x seats available inbound on the 9th......
Thanks for that quick response! ^
Old Jul 17, 08, 3:43 am

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks for that quick response! ^
and what about mine, which was quicker?!
Old Jul 17, 08, 6:11 am
NoY

Programs: BA Emerald, EY Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire Ambassador, QR & TAP bye bye
Originally Posted by Corpt View Post
...you won!!!
Old Jul 17, 08, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Corpt View Post
My sincere apologies! And grateful thanks for all the details. I can only say in my defence that I was so surprised to see a response so quickly that it didn't occur to me to look higher up the thread for any others.

What a nice, friendly, helpful board!^
Old Jul 21, 08, 5:49 am

Programs: HHonors diamond, Virgin Atlantic Gold, Goldpoints gold elite
on a similar theme ... I'm also shortly going to reach the 100k point and want to know what my best options are for a trip to the west coast of the US.

I always intended to try and get a Business class flight for me and my wife but obviuosly need 200k. Is reasonable option to book 2 one way 1st class and then pay for an economy return. indeed is this even an option.

Or should I just book 2 economy tickets and "not" pay anything. (except tax etc). Or should I keep saving the miles till I get too 200k (12-18 mths eta).

Or any other thoughts ?

Thanks

Search this Thread
Search Engine: