Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oh the Irony! B787 fleet stopgap solution!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2008, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, United Mileage Plus & bmi Diamond Club
Oh the Irony! B787 fleet stopgap solution!

...the Boeing B777!

See the article in The Independant

The news led Virgin Atlantic, one of the biggest European customers for the plane, to open talks with the American aerospace giant. This could lead to Boeing lending 777 aircraft to the carrier to tide it over until the 787s can be delivered, or replacing some of the 787s on order with the older model. This would be in addition to millions in fines for late delivery.

Steve Ridgway, chief executive of Virgin Atlantic, said: "There are provisions around this in the contracts. We are talking to them about what to do to bridge us through until we get the 787. The 777 is the nearest thing to the 787, that's what we're talking about."

He added: "We already know about the six-month delay, but what we don't know is what is going on with these latest delays." Simply waiting for the plane would jeopardise its growth plans.

The twinjet they were against for so long...how ironic

Last edited by Jenbel; Mar 31, 2008 at 7:32 am Reason: Edited to correct mis-formatted link
Old Mar 30, 2008, 3:35 pm

Programs: Lots of shiny metallic ones.
Well, it's not exactly like it's through choice now, is it?
Old Mar 30, 2008, 5:59 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Wirelessly posted (probably driving while typing: BlackBerry8130/4.3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

A free Boeing aircraft surely beats lease payments on a replacement Airbus.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 9:13 am
Suspended

Programs: VA Gold, BA Gold, Starwood Plat.
The twinjet they were against for so long...how ironic[/QUOTE]

I have to agree - I specifically remember reading a letter from Richard B in UC on the A340-600 that had an entire paragraph about how passengers feel much more relaxed on a 4 engine aircraft. The slogan '4 engines 4 long haul' must be ditched then? lol. What a shambles.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 11:19 am

Programs: Lots of shiny metallic ones.
Originally Posted by flyer240185
The slogan '4 engines 4 long haul' must be ditched then? lol. What a shambles.
Actually, that slogan was "ditched" around 2 years ago...
Old Apr 1, 2008, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, United Mileage Plus & bmi Diamond Club
Originally Posted by preiffer
Well, it's not exactly like it's through choice now, is it?
They do have a choice. Keep the A340-300s a little longer, delay expansion...

Originally Posted by Mrp Alert
Wirelessly posted (probably driving while typing: BlackBerry8130/4.3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

A free Boeing aircraft surely beats lease payments on a replacement Airbus.
Who said anything about it being free?

Originally Posted by flyer240185
The twinjet they were against for so long...how ironic

I have to agree - I specifically remember reading a letter from Richard B in UC on the A340-600 that had an entire paragraph about how passengers feel much more relaxed on a 4 engine aircraft. The slogan '4 engines 4 long haul' must be ditched then? lol. What a shambles.[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by preiffer
Actually, that slogan was "ditched" around 2 years ago...
It was dropped as the media hooked onto the green issue with aviation. Of course, a 4 engine doesn't present itself as green.

I remember RB saying that passengers feel safer on 4 engined aircraft when the -600s were first introduced, hence the slogan.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 1:49 am

Programs: Enough to travel better
My observation but correct me if I'm wrong. Operating twin-engine aircraft may seem "greener' because of twinjets use less fuel. However, there are ETOPS requirements to consider for long haul twinjets. One of the requirements I believe is that the twinjet flying over water must be within (now) 180 minutes from the nearest airport to land in case of emergency shutdown of engines. Four engine a/c do not operate under these requirements and therefore fly the most direct route overwater/land to the destination. Now, controversy over ETOPS happened when older twinjets with ETOPS were flying at the then 120 minute requirement. These a/c were flying within the ETOPS corridors but some of the airports along those corridors did not have adequate facilities to accommodate twinjet airliners during an emergency. This might have changed the 120 minute ETOPS requirement to the 180 minute requirement for today's twinjets. However, new twinjets like the 787s (777ERs/LRs for that matter) and the A350 have longer ranges to fly to the nearest airport with adequate facilities in case of an emergency.

So to me, the 4 engine plane will fly the most direct route to save fuel and time without ETOPS restrictions. New generation twinjets, OTOH will fly a longer route and not necessarily a direct one to remain within ETOPS and to be within distance of an adequate emergency airport. Now are these new twinjets going to save any more fuel compared to the 4 engine jets based on the above scenario? Again, I stand to be corrected...
Old Apr 4, 2008, 3:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tonywestsider
My observation but correct me if I'm wrong. Operating twin-engine aircraft may seem "greener' because of twinjets use less fuel. However, there are ETOPS requirements to consider for long haul twinjets. One of the requirements I believe is that the twinjet flying over water must be within (now) 180 minutes from the nearest airport to land in case of emergency shutdown of engines. Four engine a/c do not operate under these requirements and therefore fly the most direct route overwater/land to the destination. Now, controversy over ETOPS happened when older twinjets with ETOPS were flying at the then 120 minute requirement. These a/c were flying within the ETOPS corridors but some of the airports along those corridors did not have adequate facilities to accommodate twinjet airliners during an emergency. This might have changed the 120 minute ETOPS requirement to the 180 minute requirement for today's twinjets. However, new twinjets like the 787s (777ERs/LRs for that matter) and the A350 have longer ranges to fly to the nearest airport with adequate facilities in case of an emergency.

So to me, the 4 engine plane will fly the most direct route to save fuel and time without ETOPS restrictions. New generation twinjets, OTOH will fly a longer route and not necessarily a direct one to remain within ETOPS and to be within distance of an adequate emergency airport. Now are these new twinjets going to save any more fuel compared to the 4 engine jets based on the above scenario? Again, I stand to be corrected...
You have a point, but since the A330 & B777 were designed, all (long haul) twinjets have been designed to be firstly ETOPS out of the box (eg. all aircraft/airlines certificated at once) & B777s later got certification for 207 ETOPS minutes allowing them to cover the entire pacific rim & anywhere else in the world for that matter. Therfore twinjets can fly the same routings as tri/quad jets.

Incidentally, because the ETOPS regulations are so well recognised, Airbus had the A340-500/600 series ETOPS certificated.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 1:19 am

Programs: Enough to travel better
flyboy777, thank you for the response. So ETOPS out of the box a/c went to 207 min. That is quite curious. Also curious are the ETOPS certified A340s. I remember that Boeing and Airbus went through studies and wanted clarity to ETOPS guidelines to support their marketing strategies.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 4:54 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
If you have a Wall Street Journal subscription it is worth reading this article published 7 April 2008 Airline Regulators Grapple With Engine-Shutdown Peril

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120753185285993925.html

Relevancy to this discussion is here, suggesting that there is some safety advantage to more than two engines:

The odds of both of a plane's engines shutting down at once were supposed to be about one in a billion. Since 2002, however, internal ice has been blamed for at least 14 instances of dual-engine shutdowns, called "flameouts," and several times that many single-engine outages. Investigators now believe that since the mid-1990s, so-called crystalline icing has prompted dramatic power drops or midair engine stoppages in more than 100 jets. So far, the flameouts haven't been blamed for any crashes, because the engines on big commercial jets have always managed to restart.

Although GE and others have made adjustments to their engines, the problem persists. Last November, GE says, three of the four revamped GE engines on a Philippine Airlines Boeing 747 experienced brief stoppages while descending toward Manila.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
If you have a Wall Street Journal subscription it is worth reading this article published 7 April 2008 Airline Regulators Grapple With Engine-Shutdown Peril

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120753185285993925.html

Relevancy to this discussion is here, suggesting that there is some safety advantage to more than two engines:

The odds of both of a plane's engines shutting down at once were supposed to be about one in a billion. Since 2002, however, internal ice has been blamed for at least 14 instances of dual-engine shutdowns, called "flameouts," and several times that many single-engine outages. Investigators now believe that since the mid-1990s, so-called crystalline icing has prompted dramatic power drops or midair engine stoppages in more than 100 jets. So far, the flameouts haven't been blamed for any crashes, because the engines on big commercial jets have always managed to restart.

Although GE and others have made adjustments to their engines, the problem persists. Last November, GE says, three of the four revamped GE engines on a Philippine Airlines Boeing 747 experienced brief stoppages while descending toward Manila.
Incredible how extraordinarily reliable jet engines can be. Out of millions of flights only a few cause hiccups & even then are back & working before the plane hits terra firma! Twinjets have to be one of the safest forms of transport - I remember reading somewhere flying is safer than staying at home?!
Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA plat, Hertz, gold , Bonvoy gold,IHGplat
I see BA is having some 787 issues recently. Is there any sense that Virgin Atlantic is having similar problems?
Old Sep 7, 2018, 12:26 am

Programs: VS Gold
I do wonder sometimes if flyertalk should implement some kind of "if the thread hasn't been posted on for X years it is automatically locked" rule.
UKtravelbear likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 12:27 am

Programs: VS Au, Skywards Au, BA Exec Ag, HH Diamond, Taj Au
Both BA and VS have had issues with the RR engines on the 787s, it's been widely reported and is longstanding.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 1:38 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
Originally Posted by SlimpyJones
I do wonder sometimes if flyertalk should implement some kind of "if the thread hasn't been posted on for X years it is automatically locked" rule.
I tend to agree - there are lots of other threads about the current 787 issues without the need to resurrect a ten year old discussion.

I will lock this thread.

Nick

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.