FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-atlantic-airways-flying-club-506/)
-   -   Does VS offer a family/household account? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-atlantic-airways-flying-club/745566-does-vs-offer-family-household-account.html)

firstclasslad Oct 12, 2007 11:08 am

Does VS offer a family/household account?

Can I combine a family member's account to mine... ? They have 30k miles I want :)

BlackCat Oct 12, 2007 11:46 am

Nope, in the sense you cannot transfer miles. You can purchase a reward flight segment using their miles though, so if the reward cost 50,000 miles they could pay 25,000 and you could pay 25,000.

VS Gold members can have a supplementary Silver card that earns miles into their account, but there is nothing analagous to BA's Household Account, unfortunately.

BC

firstclasslad Oct 12, 2007 11:57 am

Cheers

tinsel Oct 17, 2007 7:20 am

That's what I thought, but I just spoke to Virgin, as I am looking to do the same, and it seems that two people can share the one account. My husband and I both have our own cards (though he has no miles on his at the moment) and all I needed to do was tell them his full name, and they have now added him to my account, meaning he can now use my miles for himself (I am a silver member). You can't link the two cards unless you are a Gold member, but if you get your family member to call and have your name added to their account, you can use their miles to fly (of course, any miles you earn will then be credited to your family member's account). Only thing you won't be able to do is use half your miles, and half their's - for that you need to be a gold member.

BlackCat Oct 17, 2007 9:15 am

Originally Posted by tinsel (Post 8573661)
it seems that two people can share the one account.

As you've found out, VS allows you to authorise someone else to spend miles from your account, which makes it a bit easier to book a couple of reward tickets from two separate accounts at the same time.

However, this is not the same as combining accounts.

BC

preiffer Oct 17, 2007 2:58 pm

tinsel, what you've discovered is the Supplementary Silver Account benefit of Gold Card holders - it's been there for years, and will have been mentioned in the literature that came with your husband's card. You can also have "kids accounts" where their miles go into the Gold account automatically for anyone under 18.

However, your last statement - "Only thing you won't be able to do is use half your miles, and half their's - for that you need to be a gold member." is incorrect. ANY member CAN do this, by "paying" for the mileage trips on a per-sector basis (and has been able to since the year dot...) ;)

Jenbel Oct 17, 2007 3:31 pm

tinsel welcome to FT :)

tinsel Oct 18, 2007 6:23 am

Originally Posted by preiffer (Post 8576495)
tinsel, what you've discovered is the Supplementary Silver Account benefit of Gold Card holders - it's been there for years, and will have been mentioned in the literature that came with your husband's card. \

You are assuming - incorrectly - I might add, that my husband flies more than I do, and that he is a gold card holder. I have my own silver card. He has a red card that has never been used.

What I posted was an alternative option for people who don't have gold cards; the ability to add your name to another person's account, and use their miles (with their permission, of course)

SanDiego1K Feb 12, 2010 1:29 pm

I wanted to check and see if this remains accurate information. Are the only people who can set up household accounts those who are gold?

Am I still able to book an award for my husband using his miles with some of mine, thus effectively having the benefit of a household account?

mia Feb 15, 2010 3:37 pm

Virgin Atlantic calls this feature a Family Account. Go here...

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/gb...conditions.jsp

...and search or scroll to section 2.16 Gold Members Family Account. This feature does not appear to allow you to link adult (e. g. spouse) accounts to your own. However, section 2.17 Supplementary Silver Account ("SSA") appears to permit what you have in mind.

slinky09 Feb 16, 2010 12:00 am

mia is correct, you should look for the Supplementary Silver Account scheme for Au card holders.

Roger May 24, 2011 3:35 am

I'm asking if this is still the case.

The May Well Red e-newsletter is offering gold members silver membership for partners with the ability of the referring member to use the partner's miles with their permission. The link in the newsletter goes to http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/tridi...cm4-908903.pdf

Mrs Roger and I are both gold, shortly becoming silver, so the silver referral in itself would not apply but the joint miles use could be. Can one of us use the other's miles, and is this the form to use?

Many thanks.

slinky09 May 26, 2011 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Roger (Post 16439272)
I'm asking if this is still the case.

The May Well Red e-newsletter is offering gold members silver membership for partners with the ability of the referring member to use the partner's miles with their permission. The link in the newsletter goes to http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/tridi...cm4-908903.pdf

Mrs Roger and I are both gold, shortly becoming silver, so the silver referral in itself would not apply but the joint miles use could be. Can one of us use the other's miles, and is this the form to use?

Many thanks.

You can still designate either of you to use the others' miles.

But you must have enough miles for a one way reward, e.g. 20k miles to upgrade PE to UC must all come from the same account, you couldn't do 15K from one and 5k from another. Nor can you merge them into one account.

Roger May 27, 2011 12:18 pm

Thank you, very useful.

UA Fan May 27, 2011 3:40 pm

I do not understand the difference between this and BA's program? Seems conceptually the same to me.