Airbag

Old Mar 23, 2005, 1:11 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Question Airbag

I'm not sure why, but last week was the first time after several UCS flights that I bothered to look at the large lump getting in the way on the seat belt. I noticed on the back a warning label not unlike the ones in cars saying about carseats and airbags. I also noticed cables coming from the belt latch. It was then that I clicked, 'this is a bloody airbag, what use is this at 40,000 feet !'

Can anyone offer any insight into what use the airbag is trying to provide? Is it because you can't rest you head on the seat in front whilst kissing your ar** goodbye ? Does the latch provide a fail safe i.e. if not latched, the bag does not go off?

Thanks. T.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I think the airbag is there in the event of a low speed problem ( ie take off or alnding) to protect the people in the UCS as you are not facing the direction of travel but instead at an angle so it will prevent you I think from hitting the sidewall.

Personally I hope never to have the need for the airbag to inflate on me.

I do agree with the point that it is of no use at 40000ft

Regards

TBS
Old Mar 25, 2005, 6:08 am

Programs: AmEx Plat, VS AG, SPG Gold, Priority Club/IHG Plat Ambassador, HHon Diamond, Hertz Pres Circle
The airbag in the seatbelt is there because you cannot assume the brace position in the UCS because of the angle of the suites. It is there only for emergency landings. The fact that VS have decided to adopt this technology also means you can take off and land with your seat (suite) in the reclined position.

Bazz.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.