Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

VA/ANA to Tokyo (Via PVG Using Reward, but 2 seperate bookings)

Old Jan 29, 2024, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Hi, just looking to clarify a few things, essentially a solo trip to Tokyo for the Marathon, at one point I was relatively happy to go Economy. But I've managed to stumble into this VA voucher and looked into this as an option.

VA Upper Class (I pay the points of Premium + Upper Class taxes right? Some randomly places seem to suggest you pay both taxes, but I can't see that... but then again 578 seems cheap)
LHR to PVG

ANA Business with both ways allowing 4-6 hours in PVG (about 600 at last look)
PVG to Tokyo (both airports will be used)

1200(578 upper taxes+600ish ANA) + 36k VA Points(premium with 20% off) + Voucher

Am I looking into any issues here? I've been to Narita before which was smooth as silk as well signed and plenty of English, but never PVG or China in general, will I need to do anything beforehand if I have zero intention to leave the airport, but my connecting flight is actually a separate booking?

Who would I credit ANA too, or should I create a ANA account?
Old Jan 29, 2024, 4:00 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by JackTheWoat
Hi, just looking to clarify a few things, essentially a solo trip to Tokyo for the Marathon, at one point I was relatively happy to go Economy. But I've managed to stumble into this VA voucher and looked into this as an option.

VA Upper Class (I pay the points of Premium + Upper Class taxes right? Some randomly places seem to suggest you pay both taxes, but I can't see that... but then again 578 seems cheap)
LHR to PVG

ANA Business with both ways allowing 4-6 hours in PVG (about 600 at last look)
PVG to Tokyo (both airports will be used)

1200(578 upper taxes+600ish ANA) + 36k VA Points(premium with 20% off) + Voucher

Am I looking into any issues here? I've been to Narita before which was smooth as silk as well signed and plenty of English, but never PVG or China in general, will I need to do anything beforehand if I have zero intention to leave the airport, but my connecting flight is actually a separate booking?

Who would I credit ANA too, or should I create a ANA account?
Do your research on Transit without Visa and the implications for separate bookings (the BA forum is good place to start as there was a thread on there about this. Itll be buried a few pages down though)

You can credit ANA to flying club
Old Jan 29, 2024, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
Do your research on Transit without Visa and the implications for separate bookings (the BA forum is good place to start as there was a thread on there about this. It’ll be buried a few pages down though)

You can credit ANA to flying club
Thanks for both tip there. Didn't find the specific BA one, but went into a thread specifically for this on the China forum. The exact type of advice I came looking for before hastily booking. But reading a few, looks like it should reasonably be okay as I'd have confirmed seats within hours of landing.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 5:12 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by JackTheWoat
Thanks for both tip there. Didn't find the specific BA one, but went into a thread specifically for this on the China forum. The exact type of advice I came looking for before hastily booking. But reading a few, looks like it should reasonably be okay as I'd have confirmed seats within hours of landing.
The issue will more likely be the length of the queue and how long it takes to get processed. If I have time, Ill try and find a link to the thread I was thinking of

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.