Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

LHR Private Security to close 9/1/24 - 20/2/24

Old Jan 5, 2024, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador

Taken from a post on the BA Board about the installation fo the new type of security scanner at LHR

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35879280-post174.html

Work started today on converting the rest of T3's scanners. This includes closing Virgin's Upper Class security channel from 9 January to 20 February 2024.
Can't see anything as yet on the VS website. I would assume the UC Wing will remain open and pax will be directed to the normal priority lane.
littlefish likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Taken from a post on the BA Board about the installation fo the new type of security scanner at LHR

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35879280-post174.html

Can't see anything as yet on the VS website. I would assume the UC Wing will remain open and pax will be directed to the normal priority lane.
We fly to CPT in UC on Monday - for once my timing is fabulous!
Old Jan 6, 2024, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I wonder if VS had any say in things.

Otherwise I imagine one of VS' cleverer marketing minds would have made a big deal of it had Upper Wing remained open whilst BA First Wing closed...

I suppose getting the new machines ASAP is a win for everybody though...
Old Jan 8, 2024, 6:16 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, AS Gold MVP, IC RA, IHG Spire Elite, HH Diamond, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Is there any confirmation that this is happening tomorrow? I have a Delta One flight tomorrow from LHR and was hoping to use the Virgin private security wing.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 7:42 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by opalfruit
Is there any confirmation that this is happening tomorrow? I have a Delta One flight tomorrow from LHR and was hoping to use the Virgin private security wing.
Still expected to happen as planned.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 4:20 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Wow, surprised it's taking that long. We have a trip through there on 24 Feb, so hopefully they're done on time. The good news is it SHOULD be done just in time for us to not have to take everything out!
Old Jan 9, 2024, 5:14 am

Programs: BA Gold & LH FTL
There's a note on their Upper Class Wing website now:
Virgin Atlantics Upper Class Wing will be temporarily closed between 22nd and 28th February 2024 for essential improvements. During the temporary closure, passengers will be advised to use the Terminal 3 departures drop off and check in desks, before being directed to Heathrow Fast Track security on level 1.
So sounds like the whole facility will be closed for a few days just a couple of days after the assumed end of the security channel closure.
No mention of security scanner upgrades starting today though.I'll be flying UC on Friday and will report back.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 6:49 am

Programs: Virgin Gold.
Originally Posted by GermanBloke

So sounds like the whole facility will be closed for a few days just a couple of days after the assumed end of the security channel closure.
No mention of security scanner upgrades starting today though.I'll be flying UC on Friday and will report back.
Seems odd, when they upgraded city airport the scanners were done over night,
dmarge18 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by territt
Seems odd, when they upgraded city airport the scanners were done over night,
IIRC here used to be several scanners at LCY so any closure of one would have had little impact.

There is no way the new equipment could be installed over night and put into use the next day.

These are not plug in and play pieces of kit and it does take several weeks to remove the old, install the new then calibrate it etc.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 1:34 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by GermanBloke

Wonder why they're closing it only right after it's complete. That's frustrating since I'd FINALLY get a chance to use it (had a chance last year and the dingbat taxi driver kept ignoring me the 4 times I told him where to go).
Old Jan 12, 2024, 5:50 am

Programs: BA Gold & LH FTL
Was using the UC Wing today and I believe everythings operating as normal?!

This is my first time using the UC wing so I dont know what it usually looks like but it feels like this is the way it should be. Took a left, didnt change levels and had a whole security line to myself.

The only thing that looked a bit temporary was the roped off and covered doorway on the first photo.

Britgirlnyc likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 4:05 am

Programs: BA GGLFL, LH Sen, Alitalia Platinum, Hilton Plat, SPG / Marriott / Carlsson Gold
Was working as normal this morning, old scanners though ...
Old May 13, 2024, 4:18 pm

Is there any update on this? The site now says "end of May" for the private security lane to reopen.
Old May 16, 2024, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by fusionblue
we travelled through on May 7

Whilst Upper Class Wing was open, we were directed to the LHR Fastrack Channel. This is equipped with the new scanners where everything can stay in your bags.

Very quick process and you enter the airside area AFTER the Duty Free Chicane

Buns
Old May 16, 2024, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by fusionblue
we travelled through on May 7

Whilst Upper Class Wing was open, we were directed to the LHR Fastrack Channel. This is equipped with the new scanners where everything can stay in your bags.

Very quick process and you enter the airside area AFTER the Duty Free Chicane

Buns

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.