Seat selection on China Airline award ticket

Old Mar 2, 2023, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Seat selection on China Airline award ticket

I've just booked HKG - NRT in J (great value for 30K) but Virgin's booking page says select seats at CI website. That doesn't recognise the reference and the eTicket prefix isn't acceptable. Any way to get past that?
Old Mar 2, 2023, 9:50 pm

This may not be helpful, but I called VS today because I saw that every single China Airlines flight seems to be bookable on the VS website and I didn't want to move points over to book if it was just going to fail later on in the process. They tried to initiate a booking on their end and it turns out their China Airlines availability is completely messed up right now and they'll need to fix it. I hope it isn't the case that you don't have an actual confirmed ticket.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 8:42 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Having seen a few comments elsewhere, China Airlines tickets have been bookable, but don't appear to be getting ticketed and confirmed. Definitely one to keep an eye out for.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 8:54 am

I keep getting an error when trying to book China Airlines.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Well mine seems to be confirmed and I've had no further message from anyone about it.

Looks like a normal confirmation
Old Mar 3, 2023, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by garethmorgan
Well mine seems to be confirmed and I've had no further message from anyone about it.

Looks like a normal confirmation
I made a booking for TPE-LHR in Premium Economy. Booking is now showing on VS website, but error message on CI relating to only tickets issued by them being viewable.
Ran the eticket number from VS through the Saudia website which recognised it with trip status confirmed - but shall give CI a ring to try and reserve a seat in the meantime.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 7:57 pm

Let us know what you find out!
Old Mar 5, 2023, 12:23 am

I'm having the same issue, but with Korean Airlines. I can't pick the seat on Virgin, and it tells me to go to Korean Airline's website to pick seats. I got the confirmation from Virgin, but neither the booking reference or the e-ticket number seems to work on Korean Air's website. The error I am getting with the eticket is: This booking reference cannot be searched on the Korean Air website. Please contact the original place of booking.

Edit: I ended up calling Korean Airlines and they gave me their own booking reference # and I was able to use that to select seats.

Last edited by monkeyrat100; Mar 5, 2023 at 12:59 am
Old Mar 5, 2023, 3:09 am

Originally Posted by worldcurious
Let us know what you find out!
Called CI via Skype on +886 24129000. Either can call the Taiwan office GMT+8(or alternatively the US West line). Be prepared for long holds on the English line - about 40 mins.

They recognised the eTicket numbers from VS and could pull up the booking. CI sent email confirmation complete with:
- CI booking reference (which was already provided by VS live chat agent)
- RESERVATION CONFIRMED, PREMIUM ECONOMY (Z)

However, the CI manage booking site cannot open the booking. The helpful agent at CI said that it has not been fully processed by the issuing agent (VS) and that until this was complete CI could not see all the details of the booking.

to jump around, this May tally with the notice on

So Im pretty sure that the tickets are there and I will be able to fly - but whether you can do MMB or not is another matter. Will give it a couple of days before I contact VS to follow up.

couple screenshots below via Saudia

Old Mar 5, 2023, 3:30 am

As an addendum, this is the message given on CI's website when trying to MMB with the CI booking reference:

Old Mar 6, 2023, 3:12 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
The comment about it not being 'Fully confirmed" correlates with the issues others have been having. Virgin have been ticketing redemptions, but the systems haven't been in sync with the China Airlines inventory. Before the error was spotted, Virgin were booking and ticketing award inventory that wasn't actually being made available by CI. Obviously there were also tickets of inventory that was being made available as well, so that isn't to say that anyone in this thread will have issues.

Normally having proof of ticketing would be enough to confirm the booking has been made, but knowing the issue that has been live, I would strongly advise pushing CI to get these fully confirmed. This is the sort of thing that won't be fixed with any ease at the airport if you run in to any issues.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 5:09 am
Original Poster

I see that Virgin have pulled the live booking page. It now says 'China Airlines redemptions will be live shortly'
Old Mar 15, 2023, 6:22 am

Just an update. VS are now allowing redemptions for CI again (the message has disappeared on the website).
Thankfully, the issue of MMB seems to be resolved - and the tickets are viewable on CI's website. Seems as though the system integration between VS and CI is sorted.
Just a note, CI bookings seem to be flaky when searching on the VS website (which isn't unique to that partner). I found it easiest to book via Live Chat and to make payment there, be sure to get your CI confirmation code from the agent - it may take 24-48 hours to fully ticket.
I was able to select our seats for the booking - see below.

Premium Economy seats don't appear on VS, AF-KL or DL search engines from what I see - so if Economy and Business are unavailable, worth asking if PE can be booked.
RAPC likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 4:37 pm

I cannot find any CI availability so looks like it's not bookable online just yet.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 3:57 am

Just called and was told by agent that it is not live yet on the website and to wait 1 month (lol).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.