Vs 231 lhr-aus

Old Sep 12, 2022, 2:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: A mere babe on: BAEC, AAdvantage, Virgin Flying Club. An adolescent with: Marriott Silver. Budget
Vs 231 lhr-aus

I'm flying this route in October. I have a tight ground schedule when I arrive and am concerned about immigration wait times. I have GE. Does anyone have experience with wait times for clearing immigration at AUS?
Old Sep 12, 2022, 6:32 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
Given the limited time VS have been flying to AUS and the generic nature of the query, it may be better placed in this thread :-
AUS Airport General Questions [master thread]

I will leave it for now, but will move if the question isnt answered in a few days

Nick
Old Sep 12, 2022, 7:02 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
I took VS231 at the end of July. AUS is the only US airport I've been to where you collect your checked luggage before going through immigration. Therefore the wait was at baggage claim rather than immigration. Once bags had arrived, there were 2 or 3 immigration officers so it only took a few minutes to get through. I can't remember 100% but I think it was about 20 minutes for bags to arrive once I was at baggage claim. It was only the VS flight waiting; I think BA was cancelled that day.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A mere babe on: BAEC, AAdvantage, Virgin Flying Club. An adolescent with: Marriott Silver. Budget
Originally Posted by Nottingham Nick
Given the limited time VS have been flying to AUS and the generic nature of the query, it may be better placed in this thread :-
AUS Airport General Questions [master thread]

I will leave it for now, but will move if the question isnt answered in a few days

Nick
Thanks, I appreciate it. I thought feedback from someone on my flight might give me a bit more info. Again, thanks.

Originally Posted by davidw70
I took VS231 at the end of July. AUS is the only US airport I've been to where you collect your checked luggage before going through immigration. Therefore the wait was at baggage claim rather than immigration. Once bags had arrived, there were 2 or 3 immigration officers so it only took a few minutes to get through. I can't remember 100% but I think it was about 20 minutes for bags to arrive once I was at baggage claim. It was only the VS flight waiting; I think BA was cancelled that day.
Thank you. Very interesting and unique about bag collection prior to immigration. Grateful for your reply.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 6:22 am

Programs: BA bronze
Originally Posted by davidw70
SEA you do the same, bags then immigration. Being in Upper, bags out first and then about 5 mins to get through immigration
Old Sep 15, 2022, 10:58 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Originally Posted by watson10
I'm flying this route in October. I have a tight ground schedule when I arrive and am concerned about immigration wait times. I have GE. Does anyone have experience with wait times for clearing immigration at AUS?
With GE, your issue will be the wait for the bags, not immigration. Even without GE immigration at Aus is pretty smooth.
watson10 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.