Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin Atlantic Upper Class Seating

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2022, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Question Virgin Atlantic Upper Class Seating

Hi.
I purchased an Upper Class return on Miles/Points, Outbound 17th April 2023 and Return 26th April 2023.
I was able to select my outbound seat in U/C.
For the return, four U/C seats are shown as taken, but the rest are shown as not selectable, and I have been downgraded to Premium.
If I check 'My Booking' on a daily basis, will these seats become selectable at some point?
Or will I have to cancel and rebook on different dates?
Thank you for your help.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 2:33 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
Welcome to Flyertalk
I must admit to being a little confused here.
I have never heard of an involuntary downgrade months in advance of a flight.
Where are you flying to?
Did you have a confirmed booking in Upper both ways?
How were you notified of the downgrade?
Did they give a reason?
The more information you give the more accurate the advice that can be offered.

Nick
Prids likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Thanks Nick! Your reply is much appreciated.
The route is LHR/MIA. I purchased (with miles/points) an Upper Class return on Saturday last for 80,000 points plus Ł876 GBP fees.
I selected my outbound seat in U/C no problem, and it is still shown on 'My Booking'.
When I went to the return leg to select, I was shown as Premium. Four U/C seats are occupied and the rest are marked as not selectable.
I just looked again, and the situation is the same.
Prior experience on BA suggests that 'Miles' seats are randomly released, so I am wondering if that is the same on VA.
Thanks for your help.
Paul
Old Jul 5, 2022, 11:32 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Prids
Hi.
I purchased an Upper Class return on Miles/Points, Outbound 17th April 2023 and Return 26th April 2023.
I was able to select my outbound seat in U/C.
For the return, four U/C seats are shown as taken, but the rest are shown as not selectable, and I have been downgraded to Premium.
If I check 'My Booking' on a daily basis, will these seats become selectable at some point?
Or will I have to cancel and rebook on different dates?
Thank you for your help.
That is somewhat odd... I would call VS and get back into Upper Class if you paid for Upper.
Prids likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 11:56 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
I agree it is very odd - I can't see any alternative but contacting the airline giving them the full circumstances.
The number of seats available isn't the issue, though I accept it is nice to have a seat allocated. I assume you have an email from
VS confirming that you are booked in G Class (Upper) both ways? If so, that is all the evidence you need.
It isn't easy to ring at the moment - hold times are pretty dire, but if you have been downgraded involuntary and MMB says you
are now in PE for your return, I can't see any alternative.
Expertflyer is showing both flights as wide open, so I can't see any reason for you to be downgraded - I'm sure it is sortable.

Nick

VS 5 0 LHR
04/17/23 1:20 PM MIA
04/17/23 5:45 PM 333
Daily
NA / NA J9 C9 D9 I9 Z9 W9 S9 H9 K9 Y9 B9 R9 L9 U9 M9 E9 Q9 X9 N9 O9 V9 T9

VS 6 0 MIA
04/26/23 8:30 PM LHR
04/27/23 10:00 AM 333
Daily
NA / NA J9 C9 D9 I9 Z0 W9 S9 H9 K0 Y9 B9 R9 L9 U9 M9 E9 Q9 X9 N9 O9 V9 T9
Prids likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 12:27 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
You've booked a redemption out in UC and back in PE based on the costs you've mentioned.

A return UC ticket from LHR to MIA is 115,000 in peak season and and 95,000 on a standard redemption.

Based on the dates, you've got a peak UC flight outbound at 57,500 points one way and a standard PE flight back at 22,500 points, which equates to 80,000 in total.

It might not be what you asked for, but you will have to ask them to check the recording if you believe they didn't follow your instructions. There isn't a downgrade against what you have booked and paid for though, as the miles and taxes are correct for the UC / PE combo.
PanAmSam, Britgirlnyc and Prids like this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone for your responses.

In the end I cancelled it completely and am now going on BA miles in Club. If BA flights still exist by then!

I appreciate the support, especially the breakdown by RAPC on how I should have spotted the error.

Curiously, having done that I got an email today from VA entitled "Introducing guaranteed reward seats on every flight". Details below for everyone's information.

"We’ve got some brilliant news. There are now even more reward seats available for our Flying Club members, making it much easier to book your dream trip with points.
We now guarantee a minimum of twelve reward seats on every Virgin Atlantic flight. Just decide when and where you want to fly, search using points and away you go.
8 Economy Classic seats
2 Premium seats
2 Upper Class seats"

On the same route very recently, I was travelling U/C on Miles/Points on a ticket deferred due to the Pandemic, and someone I was travelling with (not a partner or relative), successfully 'bid' for an upgrade to U/C. No idea how that works!

Thanks again.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Virgin Atlantic Upper Class Seating

Originally Posted by Prids
Thank you to everyone for your responses.

In the end I cancelled it completely and am now going on BA miles in Club. If BA flights still exist by then!

I appreciate the support, especially the breakdown by RAPC on how I should have spotted the error.

Curiously, having done that I got an email today from VA entitled "Introducing guaranteed reward seats on every flight". Details below for everyone's information.

"We’ve got some brilliant news. There are now even more reward seats available for our Flying Club members, making it much easier to book your dream trip with points.
We now guarantee a minimum of twelve reward seats on every Virgin Atlantic flight. Just decide when and where you want to fly, search using points and away you go.
8 Economy Classic seats
2 Premium seats
2 Upper Class seats"

On the same route very recently, I was travelling U/C on Miles/Points on a ticket deferred due to the Pandemic, and someone I was travelling with (not a partner or relative), successfully 'bid' for an upgrade to U/C. No idea how that works!

Thanks again.
Just added to this, my point about the seat guarantee is that when I was trying to fix this online without spending a huge part of the day trying to call in, I was repeatedly shown a chart which showed that reward seats were not offered on huge swathes of days.

Anyway, thank you all again.

Thank you for taking the time, it is very much appreciated.

Paul

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.