LHR to JFK Upper Class - Loft vs Bar

Old May 31, 2022, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
LHR to JFK Upper Class - Loft vs Bar

Have an upcoming business trip to London, and was excited to fly Virgin Atlantic for the first time from LHR (I am flying Delta metal from JFK to LHR). However I was a bit disappointed to see my desired flight was on the A350-1000 - not disappointed in the plane or seat, but I didn't realize these planes got rid of the bar for the "loft". IMO, the Virgin Atlantic Upper Class bar is a signature detail of the airline (for example - I am happy to book the Delta 767-400 on the JFK to LHR leg overnight because I won't be using the bar, and I like Delta's redone 767-400s). I see some other flights on 787 or A330 that presumably have the old bar. I wanted to try out the bar mainly because the idea of taking a break, going to the bar, chatting with fellow customers seems cool for lack of a better word (as dumb as that sounds).

1) Is the loft on the A350 as social as the bar? Can people order drinks or snacks there?
2) If not, do people still go to the bar, or has Covid limited people's desire to use the bar?
3) For frequent Virgin flyers, is the bar enjoyable? Basically is it worth it to go out of my way to book a flight on an aircraft with the bar.

Thanks
obprestige likes this.
Old May 31, 2022, 11:45 am

It seems a bit of a dead space when we went - my daughter loved having a bit of extra space but that was it.

There were a few baskets of snacks at the end - which PE seemed to pick on when seeing.

Id much prefer a bar too.
Old May 31, 2022, 11:51 am

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Have an upcoming business trip to London, and was excited to fly Virgin Atlantic for the first time from LHR (I am flying Delta metal from JFK to LHR). However I was a bit disappointed to see my desired flight was on the A350-1000 - not disappointed in the plane or seat, but I didn't realize these planes got rid of the bar for the "loft". IMO, the Virgin Atlantic Upper Class bar is a signature detail of the airline (for example - I am happy to book the Delta 767-400 on the JFK to LHR leg overnight because I won't be using the bar, and I like Delta's redone 767-400s). I see some other flights on 787 or A330 that presumably have the old bar. I wanted to try out the bar mainly because the idea of taking a break, going to the bar, chatting with fellow customers seems cool for lack of a better word (as dumb as that sounds).

1) Is the loft on the A350 as social as the bar? Can people order drinks or snacks there?
2) If not, do people still go to the bar, or has Covid limited people's desire to use the bar?
3) For frequent Virgin flyers, is the bar enjoyable? Basically is it worth it to go out of my way to book a flight on an aircraft with the bar.

Thanks
You can order drinks/snacks at the Loft, but in terms of socializing when I flew it on LHR-JFK earlier in the year the only people there were a couple who were intent on talking to themselves, so finding others to talk to might be challenging and you might just be sitting by yourself for a bit. As for the bar did an LHR-BOS earlier in the month on the A330, and the bar was unstaffed and empty the whole time - not sure if it was because of the crew (which was definitely below average and fairly disengaged) but I was in row 9 and didn't see anyone attempt to sit at the bar or request anything there either. Of course this is N=2 within the past 3 months, and other more frequent flyers may have other experiences/opinions.

Also that being said I'd go out of my way to book the A350 if it works for your dates/times — not for the loft vs. bar but instead for the much better seat on a day flight — the larger screen and tailcam + being able to look out of the window would swing it for me. (Oddly enough though I prefer the old UC seat for sleeping going eastbound, so if I had a choice I'd take the A330/787 to LHR and A350 back)
Adelphos likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Sitting in the loft on the A50 now. Most Upper Class passengers are sleeping (not surprising as it is 11 PM London time). I'm the only person here, pecking away at a laptop. Pretty boring setup IMO - seems to be used more as a staging area for FAs rather than a loft.

Based one photos of the bars in the 787 and 330 (basically small counters with drinks on ice instead of a true "bar"), it seems like Virgin is deemphasizing traditional bar service in general. Unfortunate IMO.
oxfordjames likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 1:55 am

Sitting in the loft on the A50 now. Most Upper Class passengers are sleeping (not surprising as it is 11 PM London time). I'm the only person here, pecking away at a laptop. Pretty boring setup IMO - seems to be used more as a staging area for FAs rather than a loft.

Based one photos of the bars in the 787 and 330 (basically small counters with drinks on ice instead of a true "bar"), it seems like Virgin is deemphasizing traditional bar service in general. Unfortunate IMO.
Agreed - it seems a dead space. What a waste.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 9:48 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
VS has invested in a great drinks program. I really like it!

I also like peace and quiet while traveling and the old bars could be quite noisy/raucous.

Personally I like the current set up with the A350 where very good drinks can be brought to that passenger's very nice seat and passengers do not feel the need to go to the bar to have a good time.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
VS has invested in a great drinks program. I really like it!

I also like peace and quiet while traveling and the old bars could be quite noisy/raucous.

Personally I like the current set up with the A350 where very good drinks can be brought to that passenger's very nice seat and passengers do not feel the need to go to the bar to have a good time.
It's funny, I spent probably 4 hours out of 6.5 in the loft yesterday - the A350 seat is very good, but it doesn't seem dramatically better than most business class seats I have experienced (it is better than Delta's 764, which can be hard as a rock and is a bit narrow)

The ability to have good food/drink at your seat has really nothing to do with the question about whether a bar or a loft setup is preferred if Virgin insists on having some kind of communal space for Upper Class passengers on all of its aircraft. The issue is that the bar was a unique reason to fly Virgin - noise or not, it was a differentiating factor and invited socialization. In contrast, no one seems to use the Loft for any reason (based on my internet searching), and FAs don't really advertise the space. So by definition it seems like a lost opportunity.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 10:43 am

So by definition it seems like a lost opportunity.
Surely you meant to type "a loft opportunity".
Buster CT1K and Yesisme like this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 3:53 am

Its a glorified bench.

Most lilekly just a cost saving so as not to need to put a bar in.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 12:15 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Just flew Premium Economy on the A350 on a day flight and the Loft definitely seems to be a dead space. It is not an inviting or relaxing space and it is used primarily by PE and UC customers to queue for the neighbouring toilets - more like a lobby or waiting area with people queuing or walking through. Also the seats are not comfortable. Was a useful place for me to go and stretch though and look out the window in the aircraft door. I wondered if the FAs would scold me for hanging out there as PE customer but they didn't seem to care - prob cos nobody else was using it.

Basically a wasted space except as somewhere to stretch.
Adelphos likes this.

Last edited by Enigma368; Sep 26, 2022 at 12:21 pm
Old Sep 26, 2022, 2:16 pm

Programs: BA bronze
We had our first VAA flight a month ago in UC. We were on a 787 to SEA

The Cabin Crew asked if we wanted to have our meal at the bar rather than at our seats.

We obviously said yes, and it was a great experience.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Speedbird218
We had our first VAA flight a month ago in UC. We were on a 787 to SEA

The Cabin Crew asked if we wanted to have our meal at the bar rather than at our seats.

We obviously said yes, and it was a great experience.
While it sounds like a great experience, may I ask did or could other passengers use the bar as a bar while you were dining? Was the bar available after you finished dining?

Having the bar being used as a spare dining area for UC passengers means that it can be used less as it was originally intended - a bar

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.