Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Consolidated thread - lack of UC Reward Flights post Covid

Old Feb 24, 22, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K and Marriott Titanium Member

I’ve had no luck finding Upper Class Availability for the first week of April, I’ve searched JFK, LAX and SFO and nothing’s come up for weeks. Is this normal? VA is upping their schedule in April so I was hoping more awards become available. Do they release more awards close to the departure date?
pazza2000 likes this.
Old Feb 24, 22, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by sfflyer415 View Post
I’ve had no luck finding Upper Class Availability for the first week of April, I’ve searched JFK, LAX and SFO and nothing’s come up for weeks. Is this normal? VA is upping their schedule in April so I was hoping more awards become available. Do they release more awards close to the departure date?
Yes, Upper is always a prize to the W.Coast in April, however I’ve also noticed and surprised that availability for NYC has dried up almost entirely.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Feb 24, 22, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I’m not surprised there are few if any at the moment.

VS will have who knows how many thousands of rewards bookings that are now vouchers to accommodate before releasing any new ones.
Old Feb 24, 22, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA
Assuming the points are not already in your Virgin account, check out KLM/AF availability for April - there are some flights available for 55k miles and way less in fees. Arguably a better hard product and you get a little pottery house!
pazza2000 likes this.
Old Feb 24, 22, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post

VS will have who knows how many thousands of rewards bookings that are now vouchers to accommodate before releasing any new ones.
Are these ‘reward’ vouchers chasing the same availability? It does explain the demand however.
Old Feb 24, 22, 3:46 pm

Programs: VS Gold, BA Bronze and dropping; but hotels.com Gold :)
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post

This worries me with VS and BA too .... presumably the sheer volume of points and/or linked tf&cs cash on vouchers incentivises the airline to hold back rewards and let the vouchers "time out" (or make them very difficult to use optimally).
BA at least commit to release 4 Club World seats per flight. VS have fewer seats in Upper relative to BA in the first place (the 789 only has 31 Upper seats) and certainly they are not releasing anywhere near the number of UC reward seats per route per week than in pre covid times.
I'm kinda resigned to it taking 15 months or so to re-balance. Hopefully it'll be sooner.
Old Feb 25, 22, 3:39 am

Programs: Would quite like the freedom to fly and regain some status, please
VS West Coast availability is dire - way tighter than normal, and the voucher situation can be the only explanation. I am after a single seat either LAS/LAX/SFO to LHR on a single Monday in May (hardly peak travel time!), and the shelves are bare. Hopefully there will be a lot of last minute releases on off peak days.
Old Feb 25, 22, 5:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
FWIW I've found the SEA route to be a lot more plentiful with award space than SFO/LAX/LAS. I last checked about 2-3 weeks ago, so who knows if the taps have been turned off on that route too since then, but worth a look perhaps...
Old Feb 27, 22, 2:55 am

For a few months they seemed to be releasing availability mid month for the following month. Eg in Dec they released loads of UC for Jan and again in Jan for Feb. Most days had at least one UC seat, some had 6! But now looking on seat spy there is nothing till October on any West Coast route. Madness
Old Feb 28, 22, 1:58 pm

Programs: VS Gold, SQ Elite Gold, IHG Diamond Elite Ambassador, AS MVP Gold 75k
Originally Posted by taxicabnumber View Post
FWIW I've found the SEA route to be a lot more plentiful with award space than SFO/LAX/LAS. I last checked about 2-3 weeks ago, so who knows if the taps have been turned off on that route too since then, but worth a look perhaps...
Just to add to this Delta Economy awards between SEA and LAX are usually easy to get and quite cheap in points. One extra leg but an option to get to LAX from LHR.
Old Feb 28, 22, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by Ian Z View Post
Just to add to this Delta Economy awards between SEA and LAX are usually easy to get and quite cheap in points. One extra leg but an option to get to LAX from LHR.
How do you search for these flights?
Old Feb 28, 22, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by kitbag1984 View Post
How do you search for these flights?
If you use the virgin book tool on the website and use points just make sure you use the link for full airport list and then find Seattle under US/Washington and Los Angeles under US/California. Search under Economy to start and usually it is only 8500 miles. Lots of availability in April and May
kitbag1984 likes this.
Old Mar 2, 22, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by Ian Z View Post
If you use the virgin book tool on the website and use points just make sure you use the link for full airport list and then find Seattle under US/Washington and Los Angeles under US/California. Search under Economy to start and usually it is only 8500 miles. Lots of availability in April and May
Thanks appreciate the reply. Makes sense .
Old Mar 3, 22, 3:24 am

Is there a way to search a monthly slender view of availability ? When you select ‘show flexible dates’, I believe it is only searching for availability a couple of days either side of your requested dates.
Old Mar 3, 22, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by pazza2000 View Post
Is there a way to search a monthly slender view of availability ? When you select ‘show flexible dates’, I believe it is only searching for availability a couple of days either side of your requested dates.
After you select flexible dates you will see a one week window. Above that it says Flexible Dates and Price Calendar. Just click Price Calendar and you will see a rolling 5 week display. You can then click right or left to keep going through the months. Be warned if a five week period has zero availability you will get an error message and have to start your schedule over again.
pazza2000 and Britgirlnyc like this.

Search this Thread