Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Credit card voucher - where do I find it?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2022, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
Credit card voucher - where do I find it?

I'm new to Virgin and Flying Club after spending most of my life as a suffering BA customer.

To maximise the advantages of being a member, I took out a Virgin Atlantic Reward+ credit card last year. In October I triggered the voucher, which is shown among the other transactions in the recent activity part of my Flying Club account.

But I can't for love nor money actually find the voucher itself or figure out how to use it? And another question: I know as silver you get additional options. Do you need to be silver when the voucher is triggered or only when it is used?

Thank you!
Old Jan 12, 2022, 9:35 am

Hi, this is just a very brief response, but essentially you’ll need to call virgin to check expiry date for your voucher (they have been extending these recently).

It won’t show those details anywhere on your account.

in terms of how you can use the voucher, it depends on your level in the flying club. Please see below:
  1. Flying Club Red members can choose one reward from:
    • A Premium upgrade: Spend your points for an Economy cabin reward flight and receive an upgrade to Premium with no additional points required.
    • A companion reward ticket in Economy. Spend your points for a reward booking in Economy and take one companion with you in the same cabin for no additional points.

1. Flying Club Silver members can choose one reward from:
    • A Premium upgrade. Spend your points for an Economy cabin reward flight and receive an upgrade to Premium with no additional points required.
    • A companion reward ticket in Economy or Premium. Spend your points for a reward booking in Economy or Premium, and take one companion with you in the same cabin for no additional points.
    • One Clubhouse pass allowing access to our London Heathrow or London Gatwick Clubhouse when flying with Virgin Atlantic. Each pass provides access to one person on one occasion. No additional guests can be permitted.

1. Flying Club Gold members will be eligible to choose one reward from:
    • A Premium upgrade: Spend your points for an Economy cabin reward flight and receive an upgrade to Premium with no additional points required.
    • A companion reward ticket in Economy, Premium or Upper Class. Spend your points for a reward booking and take one companion with you in the same cabin for no additional points.
    • Two Clubhouse passes allowing access to our London Heathrow or London Gatwick Clubhouses. Each pass provides access to one person on one occasion. No additional guests can be permitted.

- Tofino
Old Jan 12, 2022, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Tofino87
Hi, this is just a very brief response, but essentially you’ll need to call virgin to check expiry date for your voucher (they have been extending these recently).

It won’t show those details anywhere on your account.

in terms of how you can use the voucher, it depends on your level in the flying club. Please see below:
  1. Flying Club Red members can choose one reward from:
    • A companion reward ticket in Economy. Spend your points for a reward booking in Economy and take one companion with you in the same cabin for no additional points.
  1. Flying Club Silver members can choose one reward from:
    • A Premium upgrade. Spend your points for an Economy cabin reward flight and receive an upgrade to Premium with no additional points required.
    • A companion reward ticket in Economy or Premium. Spend your points for a reward booking in Economy or Premium, and take one companion with you in the same cabin for no additional points.
    • One Clubhouse pass allowing access to our London Heathrow or London Gatwick Clubhouse when flying with Virgin Atlantic. Each pass provides access to one person on one occasion. No additional guests can be permitted.
  1. Flying Club Gold members will be eligible to choose one reward from:
    • A companion reward ticket in Economy, Premium or Upper Class. Spend your points for a reward booking and take one companion with you in the same cabin for no additional points.
    • Two Clubhouse passes allowing access to our London Heathrow or London Gatwick Clubhouses. Each pass provides access to one person on one occasion. No additional guests can be permitted.

- Tofino
I believe these are the old conditions, they’ve since been ‘enhanced’ especially if you are a RED member
  • Companion Reward Ticket. Take one person with you in a reward seat:
    • If you’re a Silver or Gold member when you book the companion reward seat won’t cost any points.
    • If you’re a Red member when you book, the companion seat won’t cost any points in Economy Classic and Premium, or you’ll get a 50% reduction in the points needed for Upper.
  • Upgrade Voucher. Upgrade any booking by one cabin into a reward seat. Available to all tiers
  • Clubhouse Pass. (Silver and Gold Flying Club members only). For one person to use in any Clubhouse worldwide when flying with Virgin Atlantic, Delta or AFKL International. No additional guests can be permitted. If you’re a Gold member, you’ll get two passes.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 3:07 am
Original Poster

Excellent, thank you. How odd that you just have to remember you have it and can't actually see any record of it!
Old Jan 13, 2022, 4:30 am

Programs: IHG Platinum; Marriott Silver; Avis president's: Hertz President's
If you look at your account for the period when it triggered, you can see the award of the voucher. It shows as a zero miles item on the relevant day. However there is no way to keep track of the balance, and given the way travel has been for the last couple of years, plus the extension of some past vouchers, that function would be good. Don't expect it any time soon, though.
RAPC likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Vouchers in my BA Executive Club account are listed to see, including expiration date, date issued, etc. And you just click to use.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 4:07 pm

Just used one of my card rewards for an upgrade to UC from PE for LHR>JFK>LHR in a couple of weeks. Had to call and sift through the flight options but reasonably painless and as always the agent on the phone was helpful and pleasant.
Guzzler likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 3:59 am

If you give FlyingClub a call they'll be able to give you a rundown of vouchers and expiry dates attributed to your account.
Guzzler likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 10:02 am
c_j

Relatedly - can a voucher be applied retrospectively (e.g. book cash or points fare online, and then call and have it applied and cash/points refunded) or does it need to be applied at the time? I saw something about restrospective application being possible when they extended how they could be used last year, but not sure if this was a one off for the rule changes.

And - can a voucher be changed once applied? E.g use the voucher as a 241 to book 2 pax in premium economy, and then, if UC availability opens up, call and 'switch' it to an upgrade voucher for one leg of the flight (paying the difference in cost)?

Hope not too off-topic. Thanks!
Old Jan 17, 2022, 10:47 am

On both counts, I do not have any experience - but my understanding is that vouchers have to be applied at the time of booking. I.e. Find reward availability, call up and book using the voucher. (You have to call)

Note also the rules on using vouchers are different depending on your flying club tier. In Red you still need to add 50% of the usual points on top of your voucher to book in UC -- explained below.

• Companion Reward Ticket. Take one person with you in a reward seat:
    • If you’re a Silver or Gold member when you book the companion reward seat won’t cost any points.
    • If you’re a Red member when you book, the companion seat won’t cost any points in Economy Classic and Premium, or you’ll get a 50% reduction in the points needed for Upper.
Source: https://www.virginatlantic.com/gb/en...d.html#tsandcs
Regarding changing vouchers - I suspect not, although you could (theoretically) use the current flexibility offered to cancel and re-book (I think the fee is ~£30?) -- Never tried it.

Originally Posted by c_j
Relatedly - can a voucher be applied retrospectively (e.g. book cash or points fare online, and then call and have it applied and cash/points refunded) or does it need to be applied at the time? I saw something about restrospective application being possible when they extended how they could be used last year, but not sure if this was a one off for the rule changes.

And - can a voucher be changed once applied? E.g use the voucher as a 241 to book 2 pax in premium economy, and then, if UC availability opens up, call and 'switch' it to an upgrade voucher for one leg of the flight (paying the difference in cost)?

Hope not too off-topic. Thanks!
Old Jan 18, 2022, 5:49 am
c_j

Thanks! I was told on the phone today that you can use the voucher to upgrade a cash or points ticket after purchase, if redemption seat(s) become available later. But - you can't if you've already used the voucher as a 241.

Bit of a shame as I'd happily take the cash saving on the Prem Econ booking if there's definitely no UC availability... but don't want to box myself in either!

Anyone else managed to do a 241 with the voucher and later 'switch' it to an upgrade (paying fare difference ofc)?
Old Jan 18, 2022, 7:26 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Nope. It’s fixed as they say. You’d have to cancel and rebook to use it differently.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 7:43 am

Having multiple vouchers is where it gets fun :-)
RAPC likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 10:37 am
c_j

oh can you apply two vouchers to the same booking? If so that is interesting!
Old Jan 19, 2022, 1:57 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by c_j
oh can you apply two vouchers to the same booking? If so that is interesting!
We've got 3 being used on one booking for Easter. 3 passengers and 3 UC rewards priced as PE. It does help that the expiry dates were extended on the earliest voucher though.
Tofino87 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.