Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

VS 302 LHR - DEL delayed over 3 hours due to crew covid test results

Old Jan 8, 2022, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, VS

For Jan 8, 22. Currently delayed almost 4 hours. I wonder if EU261 will apply. According to the cabin announcements, the crew's covid test results were not uploaded for Indian authorities due to the test machine problem at Heathrow. First they tried to rerun the tests but then came up on the max crew shift limit. Latest effort is to get the crew from another Virgin that is being cancelled. I feel bad for Virgin, it is one of my favorite airlines. The crew is friendly as always and they are passing out snack, water etc.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 7:47 pm

Programs: No airline status whatsoever, Chase URs, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
Aaaaaaaargh. This is a perfect example of why I'm probably going to stop travelling until this virus hysteria is OVER. It just ain't worth it. I hope the politicians and bureaucrats responsible for this disaster are happy ... I lose, they win. I'm sure the hotels, car rental agencies and airlines don't need my money. I hope by the time you're reading this that you are landed wherever you wanted to go.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 1:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsn55
Aaaaaaaargh. This is a perfect example of why I'm probably going to stop travelling until this virus hysteria is OVER. It just ain't worth it. I hope the politicians and bureaucrats responsible for this disaster are happy ... I lose, they win. I'm sure the hotels, car rental agencies and airlines don't need my money. I hope by the time you're reading this that you are landed wherever you wanted to go.
Landed safely 5 hours late in Delhi. Virgin crew was very professional and friendly throughout the delay and also during the flight.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 6:36 am

We were on the return leg (VS303) which was delayed by more than 4 hours. Should we apply for EU261 delay compensation (does this come under VS's fault)?
Old Jan 11, 2022, 7:58 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by Piruthivi Sukumar
We were on the return leg (VS303) which was delayed by more than 4 hours. Should we apply for EU261 delay compensation (does this come under VS's fault)?
You can try. I suspect Virgin will try to claim exceptional circumstances, due to the issue being caused by the test data not being processed in time. If they submitted this in accordance with agreed processes and timelines, I wouldn't be surprised if they use this as the reason for rejecting a claim.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by RAPC
You can try. I suspect Virgin will try to claim exceptional circumstances, due to the issue being caused by the test data not being processed in time. If they submitted this in accordance with agreed processes and timelines, I wouldn't be surprised if they use this as the reason for rejecting a claim.
Thank you; yes; it happened exactly as you said. They refuse to say what is the "exceptional circumstances " though. So, I have escalated it through MSE/Resolver! Let us see...Anyone else tried for this flight (VS303 on 9th Jan 2022)?
Old Jan 22, 2022, 3:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Piruthivi Sukumar
Thank you; yes; it happened exactly as you said. They refuse to say what is the "exceptional circumstances " though. So, I have escalated it through MSE/Resolver! Let us see...Anyone else tried for this flight (VS303 on 9th Jan 2022)?
I decided to not make a claim because VS is one of my favorite airlines and I do not want to put more financial stress on them. Also the delay did not cause me any problem. The PE cabin had pretty low occupancy and the crew came several times to apologize and also provided snacks etc. Good enough in my books. We landed at 7:00 am which is much better than 2:15 am 😀
Globaliser, ba bob, RAPC and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 2:02 am
Original Poster

Return flight change from Virgin and bad CS on FB

I got an email from Virgin that my return flight has a change. DEL-LHR stays the same (Feb 3) but LHR-SFO moved to Feb 4. So I'm trying to reach Virgin CS on phone, WhatsApp and FB.

Phone call drops, WhatsApp no response, FB responded but asked to create one of the crypto accounts for verification. Very strange. First they gave Coinbase, which I created but CB is not letting me add a fund option and Virgin insists on that. Then they gave me a BTC wallet address and asked to create a Moonpay account instead. I did that but they insist that I must go through the "purchase" option which shows some fractional BTC for $300. So even though I got the acct verified email from Moonpay, Virgin is not accepting that and insisting on the purchase. That say I won't be charged but MP needs my credit card for that step.

Is this legit? Just to get through to CS for to discuss options when Virgin made the unpleasant change that will make me stay 1 night in London (over 24 hours) with extra Covid test and what not?

There is no option to see flight options for the change when I log in to my Virgin account.

I am quite frustrated.

Last edited by mantan_rtw; Jan 26, 2022 at 2:04 am Reason: Additional info
Old Jan 26, 2022, 4:30 am

Absolutely not legit for the Facebook profile. That's a scammer page.

Virgin are not operating a flight on the 3rd. To avoid the overnight, ask them to re-route you via LAX and then onwards on a Delta connection to SFO. There are flight options for that arriving on the same day. The LAX option departs later than the scheduled SFO flight, if it were running, so should be no reason for you not to make the connection.

I would get on the telephone and prepare to hold for some time. Not ideal, but you will get hold of someone.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RAPC
Absolutely not legit for the Facebook profile. That's a scammer page.

Virgin are not operating a flight on the 3rd. To avoid the overnight, ask them to re-route you via LAX and then onwards on a Delta connection to SFO. There are flight options for that arriving on the same day. The LAX option departs later than the scheduled SFO flight, if it were running, so should be no reason for you not to make the connection.

I would get on the telephone and prepare to hold for some time. Not ideal, but you will get hold of someone.
Thank you, you are right about the scammer profile. I understand that now.
I did manage to get through Virgin via the UK customer service number +443448747747 after about 90 minutes.

But the final outcome still leaves me somewhat unhappy.

I asked them to also change my DEL-LHR to Feb 4 but they said Prem is not available but offered Eco Delight. Which I declined. I asked about upgrading to UC with points (I have plenty) but they said no.

Then I asked them about re-routing me via BOM on 4th keeping the new LHR-SFO as is and they said no to that as well saying all flights have to be on Virgin only. This is ridiculous given the change comes from them.

I settled on both flights moved to Feb 2 in Prem.

This is poor customer service for Prem in my opinion.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by mantan_rtw

This is poor customer service for Prem in my opinion.
100% agree. I don't think they have treated you fairly on this one, especially with a short notice schedule change. I would expect a lot better from them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.