Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Is Upper Class classified as Business or First?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2021, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

My employer will only approve Business class flights and I'm looking to book on the LHR-SFO route. I've been advised that Upper Class may be taken as First Class and therefore wouldn't be approved by our business travel policy. Is Upper Class classified as Business? Is there a way to get "Business Class" on the bill so that I can expense it?
Old Nov 1, 2021, 12:10 pm
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
Upper has always been business class (J) - never have I seen it referred to as First

Nick
Britgirlnyc likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA
Definitely Business. I am 99% sure that BA is the only one offering a first product on SFO-LHR. You can search on Amex Travel for Business and you will get Virgin Upper.
Britgirlnyc likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Nottingham Nick
Upper has always been business class (J) - never have I seen it referred to as First

Nick
Well, the entire marketing spiel since Day 1 has been that "Upper Class" is better than other airlines' Business Class.

But yes, it certainly is Business Class these days...
Britgirlnyc likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 2:46 pm
Suspended

Compared to other carriers in the TATL space the lounge offering is closer than F offering but otherwise it’s J., better than some, worse than some
pazza2000 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by shibblite
My employer will only approve Business class flights and I'm looking to book on the LHR-SFO route. I've been advised that Upper Class may be taken as First Class and therefore wouldn't be approved by our business travel policy. Is Upper Class classified as Business? Is there a way to get "Business Class" on the bill so that I can expense it?
What does your work travel portal say? For example if you search for "business" on Amex travel it shows up as "Business (Z)". Or if you are booking direct with an airline, book the KLM codeshare if clearly described as business. Don't know what the Delta codeshare says.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 4:31 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Well, the entire marketing spiel since Day 1 has been that "Upper Class" is better than other airlines' Business Class.

But yes, it certainly is Business Class these days...
I worked on the marketing for this back in the early days when they launched the first Upper Class suite. (Showing my age) It was always positioned that way in marketing terms, but always categorised as business as an industry comparison.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
When searching on sites like google flights and OTAs like Expedia UC comes up in the results for 'business' and not 'first;
Old Nov 2, 2021, 6:22 pm

Programs: DL 1MM PM: UA Plat
Originally Posted by cauchy
What does your work travel portal say? For example if you search for "business" on Amex travel it shows up as "Business (Z)". Or if you are booking direct with an airline, book the KLM codeshare if clearly described as business. Don't know what the Delta codeshare says.
Delta codeshare is Business
Old Nov 3, 2021, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by KSVVZ2015
Compared to other carriers in the TATL space the lounge offering is closer than F offering but otherwise it’s J., better than some, worse than some
Same way I describe it. Closer to F on the ground (at LHR), otherwise very much a Business Class product.
Old Nov 7, 2021, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. I was self-booking so needed it to say "Business Class" in order to not confuse whoever was doing the approving.

In the end I booked via Amex travel which then put Business on the invoice instead of Upper Class! Unfortunately, it does mean I miss out on the free chauffeur to the airport by not booking direct though.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
I don't think VS is providing free chauffeur these days.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

You sure? It shows "Chauffeur driven car" as an amenity when booking direct on the virgin atlantic site

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.