Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refunding Miles

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2021, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Refunding Miles

So we had a trip planned to India in November but that of course is not going to happen. We booked this in January of this year and was wondering what is their policy on refunding miles. We were thinking of waiting till July to cancel the flights but not sure if that is wise. What would you do -would you cancel the flights now or wait till July

The flight is return from India to USA -one way, miles, for November.

Thanks
Old May 4, 2021, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
You have two choices:
  1. Pay the cancellation fee now and get your miles (and taxes/surcharges) back now, ready for the next trip you want to book
  2. Wait for VS to cancel their India flights, in which case you would be entitled to a full refund
July is a bit arbitrary. November is a long way away and you can cancel up to 24 hours before departure.
jsn55 and travelnewbie like this.
Old May 5, 2021, 2:06 am

The past 2 cancelations I was not charged a cancelation fee so just call and ask.
jsn55 and travelnewbie like this.
Old May 5, 2021, 11:23 am

Programs: No airline status whatsoever, Chase URs, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
Not sure why you think you'd not make the trip in November, unless you just don't want to go. Calling is probably a pain, so have a look at Flying Club's website ... did they change the name, maybe? ... and see what they say about redeposit of miles. United just dinged me for $125 to redeposit some miles which annoyed me no end ... because I didn't do my homework before I cancelled the trip.

I think we all need to be super-careful for quite some time, and research it all thoroughly before we do anything with flights and tix and reservations. I have a feeling that most of the airlines will forget all about their recent "generosity" with fees and terms once the happy days are here again. I'm about to book flights for next spring, and I'll keep screen shots of all the info provided to be sure I don't get jerked around before the trip.
travelnewbie likes this.
Old May 5, 2021, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
jsn55 The VS fee for a passenger cancelling a reward flight has been a consistent £3 f0 / $50 for years. Of course if VS cancel then there is no charge. There has been no change in this policy due to covid

OP depends on your attitude to actually takign the trip.

if you really don't want to go then yes you could wait until closer in to the flight day to see if VS cancels or not. If you chose to cancel then the latest to do that is 24 hours before departure.

If you cancel now for the £30 then you have the advantage of the miles being back in your FC account and the cash back in your bank account much sooner.
travelnewbie likes this.
Old May 9, 2021, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for your great input. Will have to figure out the best option
RAPC likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.