Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Credit card voucher for upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2021, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Onetime bmi * Gold lifetime membership, BA Gold, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold
Credit card voucher for upgrades

Hi,

Does anyone know if it’s possible to use the 10k MasterCard Virgin voucher for upgrades? I’ve got two economy tickets and sufficient point to upgrade one to Upper Class return. I wondered if I could use my MasterCard voucher to upgrade the second to Upper Class? Any advice thankfully received.

bmifly.
pazza2000 likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by bmifly
Hi,

Does anyone know if it’s possible to use the 10k MasterCard Virgin voucher for upgrades? I’ve got two economy tickets and sufficient point to upgrade one to Upper Class return. I wondered if I could use my MasterCard voucher to upgrade the second to Upper Class? Any advice thankfully received.

bmifly.
I believe you can use it to upgrade one class only, however there have been reports that you can use two vouchers to upgrade from Econo to Upper, or you can a voucher and points to upgrade two classes. Hopefully someone else will confirm
Old Aug 5, 2021, 9:19 am

Programs: AA, BA, UAL, NZ, QF, LH, SPG, IHG, HH, Marriott etc etc
Originally Posted by pazza2000
I believe you can use it to upgrade one class only, however there have been reports that you can use two vouchers to upgrade from Econo to Upper, or you can a voucher and points to upgrade two classes. Hopefully someone else will confirm
Frankly it would be great if we could even see the vouchers on our accounts and be able to use them online. sadly it seems you have to book via call centre (impossible or wait hours) or maybe via text messaging which seems to loop forever prioritising cancellations and those flying within 7 days still - after 17 months of this surely Virgin have moved closer to resolving the issues, as BA have done - super frustrating and no proper information on extensions
Old Aug 5, 2021, 9:22 am

Programs: AA, BA, UAL, NZ, QF, LH, SPG, IHG, HH, Marriott etc etc
Anyone who can shed light on the process for redeeming vouchers or checking their current expiry dates???? Any Virgin moderator?
Old Aug 5, 2021, 2:24 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by carpmawj
Anyone who can shed light on the process for redeeming vouchers or checking their current expiry dates???? Any Virgin moderator?
need to call them for expiry dates. They had extended the dates though.

To use them you need to call as well. Used 3 a few days ago to book 3 US redemption seats in UC, at PE pricing. Easy to do with a good agent, it is just the time to get through that is a bit of a chore.
pazza2000 likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by RAPC
need to call them for expiry dates. They had extended the dates though.

To use them you need to call as well. Used 3 a few days ago to book 3 US redemption seats in UC, at PE pricing. Easy to do with a good agent, it is just the time to get through that is a bit of a chore.
Agreed! Once through, eventually, the process is smooth and easy, there is also more flexibility with these vouchers than the BA equivalent. Some agents are happy to let you use two vouchers for one single booking, ie. upgrade from Economy to Upper, albeit I think that’s more of a lucky exception rather than a rule.
RAPC likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 12:11 pm

Another question - when travelling on Award tickets purchased using miles, you now earn tier points based on the class you fly.

is this also the case if using an upgrade voucher? I.e. you buy a premium economy fare, but use a voucher to upgrade to upper class - Will you earn upper class tier points, if no points are used?
Old Aug 7, 2021, 3:01 am

The upgrade vouchers book you in to the upgraded cabin, just for less points. So essentially if you book an upper class ticket, you pay PE points, but have booked upper class and earn upper class.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 3:03 am

Thanks RAPC. I’m guessing (hoping) the same goes for a cash PE ticket upgraded with a voucher to UC?
Old Aug 7, 2021, 11:33 am

Indeed it does. The voucher coverts your booking to be ticketed in upgraded cabin.
Tofino87 likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 1:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, SQ Gold
Are there published T&Cs for the credit card vouchers? Trying to work out whether, among other things, they can only be used on flights ex-UK (as is the case with the BA Amex vouchers)

Thanks
Old Sep 3, 2021, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by SFW13
Are there published T&Cs for the credit card vouchers? Trying to work out whether, among other things, they can only be used on flights ex-UK (as is the case with the BA Amex vouchers)

Thanks
T&Cs are here: https://www.virginatlantic.com/gb/en...edit-card.html
Old Sep 8, 2021, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by carpmawj
you need to contact virgin, i use whatsapp, takes a couple of days for non urgent stuff like this..

Hello you, we are Virgin Atlantic and this is our official WhatsApp.
+44 344 874 7747

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.