Earning Flying Club points on KL/AF

Old Mar 17, 21, 2:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue, BAEC, VAFC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors
Earning Flying Club points on KL/AF

Hi there,

I'm absolutely clueless about Frequent Flyer points, so please bear with me if this has been asked somewhere and I'm being stupid.

I have a UK Virgin Atlantic credit card, the rationale being that one day I would save up enough points to take my wife somewhere nice in a better class of cabin. I have little more in the way of ambition than that.

Due to pandemic, and working non-stop (from home) throughout, I find myself with 31 days' extra holiday that I will need to burn, solo, and I'm planning on catching up on some travel.

My local airport is a KLM Cityhopper feeder to Schiphol, and I quite like to start my trips that way. Additionally, I have several hundred euros of KLM refund voucher from a cancelled TATL last year which I'd like to get value from.

What I'm wondering is, if I book revenue flights with KLM, I think I can get Virgin "miles" points on the flight. Can I also get TP if I give my Flying Club account? What if it's a KL codeshare operated by another company (such as Air Baltic)

If I do get TP, as I understand it it is distance based. Do I therefore get it per segment, or based on the overall distance of the flight.

I'll hopefully be going to destinations such as RIX and SOF, so a reasonably long hop. Happy to just collect the miles, but if I can get *near to* some sort of status - even if only Silver - that's a bonus.

Apologies if I've misunderstood the whole thing.
Old Mar 17, 21, 2:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
This might help...

https://www.turningleftforless.com/d...klm-is-aboard/

You will only earn miles and TPs on KL/AF metal. No codeshares. You earn on a per-segment basis based on the distance of each individual segment.

You do need to aim for Gold if you want any substantial benefits from VS status. That would require a few trips on KLM in Business Class, and 600+ mile legs are key to that...
Old Mar 17, 21, 3:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
This might help...

https://www.turningleftforless.com/d...klm-is-aboard/

You will only earn miles and TPs on KL/AF metal. No codeshares. You earn on a per-segment basis based on the distance of each individual segment.

You do need to aim for Gold if you want any substantial benefits from VS status. That would require a few trips on KLM in Business Class, and 600+ mile legs are key to that...
Beautiful! A bit of research could do this over a couple of long weekends, then. I get nothing decent for the HUY-AMS leg, but if I can stay on KL metal to Eastern Europe then there's stuff to be had.

It might just be pie-in-the-sky, but as it's pretty much aimless wanderings to burn accrued annual leave, it at east gives me a bit of something to focus on when making itineraries..
Old Mar 17, 21, 11:04 am

Programs: Chase UR, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, CCarlson Gold, VirginAtl Silver
I love "meaningless solo trips somewhere", anywhere these days! There are so many permutations of points/miles in this game now that you can't take anything for granted. Even if it's "OK" right now, it may not be in 3 months. I'm an advocate on a travel forum here in the States, and we get a complaint of mileage-earning on partner airlines at least once a month. Previous to the virus disaster, of course. Even if you're super diligent in the research, things can go south and there's little to be done after the fact. For those reasons, I book as few code-shares as possible. As mother would say, "Govern yourself accordingly" ... book with the thought in mind that some parts of the trip may not get you much mileage.
Old Mar 22, 21, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
Be warned; your profile says you already have a Flying Blue account, and you say that you have vouchers issued by KLM for previous cancelled AF/KL trips. This almost certainly means that, when you come to use these vouchers, which must be done on either the KLM or the Air France websites, that your Flying Blue number gets associated with the bookings even without you requesting/asking/allowing it to do so.

Flying Blue numbers are exceedingly "sticky" and we often see reports over on the Flying Blue part of the website of flyers intending to collect miles on the AF/KL flights in other programmes, but who then see the miles post to their Flying Blue account.

In theory it is possible to earn Virgin Atlantic miles on Air France and KLM tickets - but I suspect that for some or all of these tickets you eventually book using these vouchers, that the miles will still end up going to your Flying Blue account, even when you take the time to add your Virgin Atlantic number to the reservation.

You would be advised to close down your Flying Blue account and henceforth use your Virgin Atlantic number for all flights on AF and KL.

Bear in mind also that those AF/KL vouchers will become refundable for cash a year after being issued if the reason for receiving the voucher was cancellation of the flight on the part of the airline, so you may be better off just requesting your money back rather than using them in this manner right now if these are the kind of vouchers that you have.

Last edited by irishguy28; Mar 22, 21 at 7:54 am
Old Mar 22, 21, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
Be warned; your profile says you already have a Flying Blue account, and you say that you have vouchers issued by KLM for previous cancelled AF/KL trips. This almost certainly means that, when you come to use these vouchers, which must be done on either the KLM or the Air France websites, that your Flying Blue number gets associated with the bookings even without you requesting/asking/allowing it to do so.

Flying Blue numbers are exceedingly "sticky" and we often see reports over on the Flying Blue part of the website of flyers intending to collect miles on the AF/KL flights in other programmes, but who then see the miles post to their Flying Blue account.
Thanks for the reminder, yes, I am FB Ivory (picked up a card as I tend to look to fly from my local Cityhopper outstation where possible, and the KL flight that was booked and had the voucher issued was originally booked via the app with the FB number but was supposedly switched to VS after I contacted them. I have only been VS member since I got the credit card, I haven't actually flown since, and therefore have no experience as to where the flights will post to. I have read reports of which you speak, though, so I'm conscious that a SNAFU is likely.

Bear in mind also that those AF/KL vouchers will become refundable for cash a year after being issued if the reason for receiving the voucher was cancellation of the flight on the part of the airline, so you may be better off just requesting your money back rather than using them in this manner right now if these are the kind of vouchers that you have.
This is the sort of vouchers they are, however, I'm absolutely jonesing to get away as soon as I'm allowed, and I'd rather try and extract the maximum value from the voucher rather than missing out on the bonus.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Mar 22, 21, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
Originally Posted by DeeGee26.2 View Post
This is the sort of vouchers they are, however, I'm absolutely jonesing to get away as soon as I'm allowed, and I'd rather try and extract the maximum value from the voucher rather than missing out on the bonus.
If you mean the 15% extra that was applied to these vouchers - then you already have missed out on that bonus.

To benefit from the extra value, a booking had to be made by 31 October 2020 using these vouchers; the flight itself could be taken up to June or July of 2021.

Again, if you have refundable vouchers, I would strongly advise you to consider requesting refunds! You can use that money to book whatever flight you wish - even again on KLM - and can book these flights in a way that will not be tarnished by your Flying Blue number, so that the miles post without problem to your Flying Club account.
Attached Images  
Old Mar 22, 21, 8:45 am
Original Poster

If you mean the 15% extra that was applied to these vouchers - then you already have missed out on that bonus.

To benefit from the extra value, a booking had to be made by 31 October 2020 using these vouchers; the flight itself could be taken up to June or July of 2021.

Again, if you have refundable vouchers, I would strongly advise you to consider requesting refunds! You can use that money to book whatever flight you wish - even again on KLM - and can book these flights in a way that will not be tarnished by your Flying Blue number, so that the miles post without problem to your Flying Club account.
How strange,

I requested the voucher in September, it was as a result of a significant itinerary change. The first record I have of a voucher code was, it would seem, December 1st, so it would have been after the deadline you mentioned. The value of the voucher is for more than the value of the original booking, although not as much as 15% due in part to the fact that the booking was in GBP in Nov 2019 and the voucher in EUR 13 months later.

I'd rather not take the refund unless I have no choice, as that'll then lose me the 2x Amex points that I got for the original booking.

To be honest, I'm a bit confused as to what I've got.
Old Apr 1, 21, 2:00 pm

I’ve just been looking into some intra-Europe business class flights on AF/KLM, because I thought ‘this is great! 200 VS TP for each leg which is 600+ Miles!’ (As long as it’s the right booking class).

Well I found a decent fare from MAD-WAW... with a stop in CDG each way. So I check AF website... seems to state class ‘O’ ... this couldn’t be right, for a business class ticket.

I checked ITA matrix - it is indeed Class O - but this is an economy fare?!
Old Apr 2, 21, 9:42 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by Tofino87 View Post
I’ve just been looking into some intra-Europe business class flights on AF/KLM, because I thought ‘this is great! 200 VS TP for each leg which is 600+ Miles!’ (As long as it’s the right booking class).

Well I found a decent fare from MAD-WAW... with a stop in CDG each way. So I check AF website... seems to state class ‘O’ ... this couldn’t be right, for a business class ticket.

These will only earn 40 TPs and not 200 unless you book on a VS codeshare (feeder to a longhaul). I’ve had a month long back and forth about it with VS and they are just incapable of getting their .... together and publishing a bloody earning table for the partner prime flight numbers. They were very busy and in the year the partnership has been in place they couldn’t find anyone competent enough to update two damn web pages.
littlefish likes this.
Old Apr 2, 21, 9:47 am

Wow, that’s pretty poor!
Old Apr 3, 21, 6:56 pm

Programs: BA Silver but hotels.com Gold :)
Originally Posted by Tofino87 View Post

The AF 'O' class fares do not earn points. This is set out on the Flying Club webpage at https://www.virginatlantic.com/globa...ir-france.html
In the section under The small print is confirms: "When flying on Air France and booked in operating class A, X and O you will not be eligible to earn points."
So do take care.

Quite what points are earned for AF or KL fares in the Business Z or I-buckets is still unclear as wmaciej points out.
The info which was released by Virgin to the blogs/press when the FF programmes co-ordinated back in early 2020 has never made it to the website. Thus the current earning rules are ambiguous and terribly set out across the Flying Club site.
More than once it has been reported Flying Club are interpreting the VS-code kicker for AF/KLM flights as needed for the AF / KLM earning tables published ... which, of course, would mean there is no table published for AF or KL or DL marketed AF or KL operated flights ... which is contrary to what is set out elsewhere in Flying Club and in the Ts&Cs!!
A nonsense.

I am in the market for a £2,000+ biz-class ticket for later in the year or early next (Covid permitting) to North America where timings make AMS the best option. Sadly, there is no way of telling what Virgin tier points I will earn; which means I won't book until I get that basic clarity.
Meantime, United are possibly going to get their first longhaul look-in for nearly 5 years!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: