Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Virgin Atlantic suddenly axes Delta sweet spots

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2021, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

https://thepointsguy.com/news/virgin...ta-sweet-spot/

Virgin Atlantic has introduced a distance-based award chart for Delta flights. And, unsurprisingly, it’s completely wiped out some of the great sweet spots that were previously available.

Bad news for anyone looking to redeem VS points on Delta flights going forward.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 10:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob/UA Gold
Originally Posted by lsquare

Bad news for their points selling business, probably the only part of their business making any $$ these days. I know I’m going to rethink my plan to pick up the credit card and put 25k spend on it.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joachimm
Bad news for their points selling business, probably the only part of their business making any $$ these days. I know I’m going to rethink my plan to pick up the credit card and put 25k spend on it.
For sure. I'm so glad I never applied for the BoA VS credit card.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 12:47 pm

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
For sure. I'm so glad I never applied for the BoA VS credit card.
I recently got the card and just finished my minimum spend. Was planning Hawaii to Japan trip in business for just 70k R/T. Right now it appears that ANA is still available for that amount of miles. I will be trying to book ASAP on ANA before it gets devalued too.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Richard1148
I recently got the card and just finished my minimum spend. Was planning Hawaii to Japan trip in business for just 70k R/T. Right now it appears that ANA is still available for that amount of miles. I will be trying to book ASAP on ANA before it gets devalued too.
This is the concern... I’d also been looking at that exact redemption - despite it being an older Delta One configuration.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 2:16 pm

Have a huge stash of VS points from COVID cancelation, fortunately got booked at the old rate but also a pretty decent chance int'l travel won't be open yet. Not sure what the hell to do if we're not able to go.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 3:21 pm

Sad. I was planning to use Virgin to book LAX-HND and ICN-SEA in Sep/Oct 2021. I should have booked a few weeks ago to lock it in, but hindsight is 20/20.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 7:06 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by JLC85
Sad. I was planning to use Virgin to book LAX-HND and ICN-SEA in Sep/Oct 2021. I should have booked a few weeks ago to lock it in, but hindsight is 20/20.
It's strange that they have a different chart for the JV routes with DL, I am thinking this has to be VS' idea to devalue the chart. Although the JV routes looks decent with miles, but the YQ/APD kills it. I guess it's a lose lose situation. Glad I only have 5k VS miles at this point.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bds123123
Have a huge stash of VS points from COVID cancelation, fortunately got booked at the old rate but also a pretty decent chance int'l travel won't be open yet. Not sure what the hell to do if we're not able to go.
I feel bad for ya.
Visconti likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 9:28 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Was on a call earlier to sort a new redemption on VS later this year. Spoke to one of the experienced agents who I have worked with a few times in the past and she mentioned that it was a Delta directive and that it took VS by surprise as well, as they have had to scramble out some hasty updates internally to let agents know.

feel sorry for anyone internationally who has been badly stung by this as the lack of notice was brutal.
BillyBaht, A321neo and Jma12 like this.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 11:13 am

Not unexpected, although you would have thought there would have been a little warning given!
lsquare and Tofino87 like this.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL 360, UA 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador
Might as well call it Delta Atlantic now....
lsquare and Jma12 like this.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 5:21 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by A321neo
Might as well call it Delta Atlantic now....
Or Big Daddy Delta...
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 11:01 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Bummer, those were good deals and I wound up with 100k or so redeposited from covid cancellations. We had some nice rides on DL metal to Asia from SEA, often finding 5 seats in DeltaOne for the whole family. Nothing to really book now anyway as DL is not flying much to Asia. I guess I will have to move some more AMEX miles over and find some ANA F/J awards for my wife and me ;-)
Old Jan 3, 2021, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
all a bit of a co ck up apparently in the messaging / explanation

https://www.headforpoints.com/2021/0...-not-going-up/

Changes don't / won't apply to TATL flights operating under the joint venture of a point to point nature but will for eg a DL fligh to Asia or Australiasia
joachimm likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.