Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

50% off reward redemptions (Ended 30 Nov 2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2020, 5:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)

For those who aren't avid readers of the various blogs who have already posted about the sale this morning, then read on.

50% off all reward redemptions is now live.

Originally Posted by VS Website

Book a Reward Flight and save 50%

With Virgin Points taking you twice as far, it's time to get your holiday plans back in motion.

Simply book to travel before 20 October 2021 and pay with Virgin Points to save 50%.

Offer ends 30 November 2020.

Cabin Normal price Save 50% price
Economy Classic 25,000 12,500
Premium 45,000 22,500
Upper Class 95,000 47,500
Annoyingly, I had booked some flights last week with a companion voucher for LHR-PVG / HKG-LHR in Upper next summer, so had to cancel these today to re-book under the new 50% off pricing. The positive was that I could now book these as two one ways, which has saved me over Ł400 in fees even after taking a Ł90 hit to cancel. Hong Kong to LHR booked as a one way, priced in HKD strips out all of the YQ.

Redemptions are pricing up online with the discount. If you do need to call to make any bookings, then expect a bit of a wait as the call centre is unsurprisingly busy.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 1:18 pm

The dates I am looking for are unavailable for next year. Am I right in assuming that I can book any old dates (that are off peak) now and change to the ones I want, paying a change fee but no additional miles once/if they become available? (The dates I want are within the promo period but just in early oct so seats not released as yet).
Old Nov 23, 2020, 2:09 pm

Per Head for Points writeup that is not possible (at least not while retaining sale pricing): https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/1...-friday-deals/

You should note that if you need to change the date of your flight, it will reprice at the full Points cost and you would need to pay extra.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 2:42 pm

Thanks. But I’m not sure if that’s correct. Does not say anything about it in the offer terms. Will call them and post the answer
Old Nov 24, 2020, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by ba bob
Thanks. But I’m not sure if that’s correct. Does not say anything about it in the offer terms. Will call them and post the answer
I’m afraid that is correct re. repricing, unless a change is forced upon by say a schedule change for example.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by ba bob
I was told it is possible under the COVID policy by the agent on the phone when I booked my flights. However she also told me that credit card vouchers couldn’t be used, when they could. (Worked out better for me anyway without using them)

I think the agents are only just getting back up to speed with making new reservations from speaking to a couple of them in the past week. So my only call out is that their advice isn’t hugely consistent at the moment, so just keep that in mind.
Old Nov 25, 2020, 9:05 am

Programs: ALL Accor Platinum
Hello, I'm completely new to VA - but was lured in by the discounted upper class tickets to South Africa.

In the award chart I notice it has this line: "An Upper Class purchased ticket, will get you 50% discount an (sic) Upper Class Reward Flight." Have I understood this correctly - having bought an upper class ticket I will, as well as the miles, receive a 50% voucher off an upper class flight redemption as well?

I've googled this sentence and searched blogs but can't find anything which references this - as it would seem a very generous offer if true.

Many thanks - Mike
Old Nov 26, 2020, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by Mike_P
Hello, I'm completely new to VA - but was lured in by the discounted upper class tickets to South Africa.

In the award chart I notice it has this line: "An Upper Class purchased ticket, will get you 50% discount an (sic) Upper Class Reward Flight." Have I understood this correctly - having bought an upper class ticket I will, as well as the miles, receive a 50% voucher off an upper class flight redemption as well?

I've googled this sentence and searched blogs but can't find anything which references this - as it would seem a very generous offer if true.

Many thanks - Mike
I see the confusion, a poor choice of wording! As far as I understand, you won’t receive a voucher. It refers to purchasing an Upper Class reward flight, at 50% off
Old Dec 16, 2020, 2:39 am

Programs: ALL Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by pazza2000
I see the confusion, a poor choice of wording! As far as I understand, you won’t receive a voucher. It refers to purchasing an Upper Class reward flight, at 50% off
A belated thank you!
Old Dec 16, 2020, 7:59 am

Programs: BAEC
Anyone else take the fact that VS are having yet another sale; just three weeks after the black friday deal ended as a sign that cash flow issues have to got to be really bad!?
pazza2000 and cauchy like this.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 10:58 am

It does seem a little premature, at the same time they are going ahead with changes and initiatives that suggest otherwise
londonba2014 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 2:20 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, Flying Blue
Actually, I'm not too concerned; If you take a look at this page from Money Saving Expert, Martin Lewis, he predicts Christmas sales based on what we've seen in previous years, to the exact day, and Virgin has always had one at this time this year - usually following pretty good Black Friday deals from memory.
----------------------------------
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/de...-December-2020

'Virgin Atlantic winter sale, until 2 Feb'
WHEN IT STARTED
2019: Tue 17 Dec
2018: Wed 19 Dec
2017: Thu 14 Dec
2016: Thu 22 Dec

Did it hapen?
It's on!
kitbag1984 and Tofino87 like this.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
I booked one of these 50% of tickets for my family and VS have now cancelled the flight. He doesn't need the tickets can I do a name change and transfer them over to myself? The website states one free name change allowed or is that for paid tickets?
Old Jan 12, 2021, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by onlysuites
I booked one of these 50% of tickets for my family and VS have now cancelled the flight. He doesn't need the tickets can I do a name change and transfer them over to myself? The website states one free name change allowed or is that for paid tickets?
Did you find an answer to this? Interested to hear it if so.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pazza2000
Did you find an answer to this? Interested to hear it if so.
Nope. Let me know if you do though.
pazza2000 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.