Virgin Atlantic - Update on LHR-LAS route

Old Sep 19, 20, 4:24 am
Original Poster

Virgin Atlantic - Update on LHR-LAS route

Hi All
Haven't posted since the BA strikes of 2019 - thinking nothing could have been more stressful than that!

Booked a flight direct with VA - LHR-LAS in February, and due to fly 11 November. VA website states that the resumption of the Vegas route would be reinstated in September, but still nothing. I'm kind of in a quandary as what to do. Even if the flight does resume, and the borders miraculously reopen, we would have to quarantine 14 days either side so it doesn't seem worth all that aggravation for a 6 day trip. So I have a few questions:

How much lead time will VA get to confirm if a flight is cancelled?
Will VA contact me if the flight is cancelled, and when would I likely hear from them?
Where do I stand if the flight isn't cancelled but the borders remain closed to UK travellers - will VA contact me to advise of my options?

I had a flight booked with BA for LHR-JFK in August, and they contacted me at the end of May to offer a voucher. VA seem a little slower on the uptake.

I'm happy to take a voucher rather than a refund and hopefully go next summer.

Anyone else in the same boat? I'd be interested to know what others are doing who are in limbo like me!

Thanks

Nicola
Old Sep 19, 20, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Hard to give you any advise because VS is in trouble and they are just trying to minimize their losses, so who knows when they will resume flying to LAS.
Old Sep 19, 20, 5:40 pm
Suspended

There are a lot of assumption here...my thoughts are;

"If" the borders reopen and Europeans are allowed back into the US, you will be rerouted via LAX and then VA will put you on a codeshare with Delta to Vegas. I will be amazed if VA operate a direct London to Vegas route anytime soon.

If the borders remain closed, VA will cancel your flight and offer you either a voucher or refund. That's what they did with my Mum when she was due to come out in March.

I wouldn't worry at all about a 14 day quarantine. No one will enforce it here. I think technically that rule is in place here, yet we have people from California, Utah etc coming...no one is checking them. Hotels, restaurants etc are all desperate for business, so the powers that be will put a stop to any quarantine.

How the world looks today may look very different come November. Anything and everything might happen. Don't cancel your VA booking, and don't take a voucher if they offer you one. I know you are saying that you will want to fly next year, but it is questionable if VA will be around then, and you don't want to be stuck with a useless voucher.

If you haven't booked any hotels, there are some amazing deals to be had. If you have, double check the price against what you have now, you might save a ton.

Lastly, if you do make it out here, please support local owned restaurants off the strip. We as a city are hurting right now.

Hope this helps.
Old Sep 19, 20, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SgtRyan View Post

Lastly, if you do make it out here, please support local owned restaurants off the strip. We as a city are hurting right now.

Hope this helps.
Yes, big thumbs up on this!
Air Houston likes this.
Old Sep 20, 20, 4:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fly747first View Post
Hard to give you any advise because VS is in trouble and they are just trying to minimize their losses, so who knows when they will resume flying to LAS.
LAS has long been one of VS' best-performing routes.

The problem of course is that the planes are supposed to be full of Brits going to Vegas for a holiday, something that simply isn't going to happen in November 2020, even if the US entry restrictions are lifted.

For the OP, take a refund once the flight is cancelled. Don't count on a VS voucher being worth anything to you in 2021 or beyond...
Old Sep 20, 20, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
If VS cancel the flight you can have a refund.

If they don't and you chose not to travel the most you can hope for is a voucher.

VS will contact you if/when they do cancel the flight but only if you booked direct. If you booked via a TA then they are responsible and you will need to deal with the TA.

You need to be proactive in this as well and not just rely on the airline telling you things.

So check your booking on a regular basis and keep an eye on the VS website for their latest policies.
Often1 likes this.
Old Sep 20, 20, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
If VS cancel the flight you can have a refund.

If they don't and you chose not to travel the most you can hope for is a voucher.

VS will contact you if/when they do cancel the flight but only if you booked direct. If you booked via a TA then they are responsible and you will need to deal with the TA.

You need to be proactive in this as well and not just rely on the airline telling you things.

So check your booking on a regular basis and keep an eye on the VS website for their latest policies.
Agree with this, but will note again that the likelihood that the US will be open for Schengen ++ travel in November 2020 is extremely low. In OPís case I would not expect to be travelling, whatever the situation with the flight in question is.
Often1 likes this.
Old Sep 20, 20, 2:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Covid infections in Nevada are skyrocketing. Just in the past week: new cases +17.8%, deaths +22.2%, hospitalizations 14.7% and the number of people being tested dropped by 8.7% (so the real numbers may be larger). Unless to are headed to LAS for an essential reason which cannot possibly be handled by video and, if you must, you take extraordinary precautions, I would not even bother looking at what the entry rules are to the US or quarantine on return to the UK.

Check status regularly and if it is cancelled or significantly changed, take a refund and then rebook when you are ready to travel. If the service does operate, cancel shortly before departure (flights are still cancelled for weather and mechanical) and take a credit. You are no worse off for waiting.

But, unless there is a 100% effective vaccine before your travel date (and you have been vaccinated), I would not parse the travel rules.
Old Sep 20, 20, 3:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post

But, unless there is a 100% effective vaccine before your travel date (and you have been vaccinated), I would not parse the travel rules.
There are more than enough "anti mask" and eventual "anti vaccine" people in both the US and UK to fill a daily 747.

Although I wholeheartedly agree that it's not the time to travel to Vegas and many other places, for many people it's only about what they allowed to do, rather than what they should be doing.
Old Sep 20, 20, 6:42 pm
Suspended

Covid infections in Nevada are skyrocketing. Just in the past week: new cases +17.8%, deaths +22.2%, hospitalizations 14.7% and the number of people being tested dropped by 8.7% (so the real numbers may be larger). Unless to are headed to LAS for an essential reason which cannot possibly be handled by video and, if you must, you take extraordinary precautions, I would not even bother looking at what the entry rules are to the US or quarantine on return to the UK.

Check status regularly and if it is cancelled or significantly changed, take a refund and then rebook when you are ready to travel. If the service does operate, cancel shortly before departure (flights are still cancelled for weather and mechanical) and take a credit. You are no worse off for waiting.

Skyrocketing? Who told you that? Clark County have opened bars as of today (Sunday 20th Sept). This is the first time in weeks, and due to the numbers going down. LINK

Further, we have a friend who is a Doc here working at a local hospital, and another who is a nurse. Both are reporting significant less numbers of Covid. Also, both work at different hospitals in the area. So I'm not sure where you are getting information that cases are "skyrocketing".
Old Sep 20, 20, 8:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by SgtRyan View Post
Skyrocketing? Who told you that? Clark County have opened bars as of today (Sunday 20th Sept). This is the first time in weeks, and due to the numbers going down. LINK

Further, we have a friend who is a Doc here working at a local hospital, and another who is a nurse. Both are reporting significant less numbers of Covid. Also, both work at different hospitals in the area. So I'm not sure where you are getting information that cases are "skyrocketing".
If you've got statistics to back that up, not what some bar tender or one doc told you, that would be helpful. My quoted statistics are provided by Johns Hopkins which produces this report daily for all 56 states and territories and it is what public health officials are relying on. Check out the website yourself and you will see exactly how dire the situation is.

Doesn't mean that it won't change by November, hopefully for the better. But, I certainly would not fly into that unless it were really, really important.
Old Sep 20, 20, 10:18 pm
Suspended

If you've got statistics to back that up, not what some bar tender or one doc told you, that would be helpful. My quoted statistics are provided by Johns Hopkins which produces this report daily for all 56 states and territories and it is what public health officials are relying on. Check out the website yourself and you will see exactly how dire the situation is.

Doesn't mean that it won't change by November, hopefully for the better. But, I certainly would not fly into that unless it were really, really important.
Bar tender? Making comments like that just makes you look like a right mug. Just an FYI...

Anyhow, if you go to the Southern Nevada Health district website, along with the Govnors website you will see data which shows that the daily infection rate along with death rate has been coming down since July. I could be wrong, but I suspect based on this, along with the Govnor speaking with health officials across the State who have probably told him the same thing is the reason that bars in Clark county are now reopened. Hardly "skyrocketing" as you claim.
Old Sep 21, 20, 12:50 am

Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
Covid infections in Nevada are skyrocketing.
In Clark County, positive test rate is decreasing and new infections and hospitalizations are way down. But sure, fearmonger away.
Old Oct 8, 20, 7:25 am

As I can't post links to other websites yet...Google Las Vegas covid dashboard, you will see that cases peaked in July and have been going down ever since.

We are now plateauing at just below 300 new cases per day.
A321neo likes this.
Old Oct 14, 20, 6:25 pm

Programs: BA Silver but hotels.com Gold :)
On the 14 days caseload per 100,000 basis (as per C-W-S daily stats across Europe in the Coronavirus & travel forum), for Clark County I have:
Currently: 253
Mid Sept: 163
Mid Aug: 484

Up and down. Case numbers still pretty high but I'd be happy to go if travel to USA was permitted, enough open to enjoy the trip and surroundings. But also good reports of compliance with mitigation rules by most of the locals and businesses.
Then again, Arizona might shade it for variety at the moment.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: