Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Remember when Flying VS in J was a cut above other J products?

Old Sep 11, 20, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP

When Virgin first began, their business product was truly distinguished from that which most other airlines offered.

There was the bar. There were the manicures and massages. There was a unique ambience. The menus were oversized and truly extensive.

as Virgin goes through and emerges from bankruptcy, how do you think they will reinvent themselves to be ahead of the game again?
Old Sep 11, 20, 2:44 pm

Programs: Chase UR, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, CCarlson Gold, VirginAtl Silver
I haven't been on a Virgin flight since they started using those awful airplanes SFO-LHR, where the UC seats don't recline very much. I find that I miss Virgin a lot and I think it's the crew. They are just delightful and make me happy boarding their plane. The bar and the massage table never really got on my radar in the first place.
Old Sep 15, 20, 3:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Nobody pays 100 extra for Upper Class because they can get a massage or drink at a bar. VS will do what it can, but it will never again be "ahead of the game".
Old Sep 16, 20, 5:22 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
My guess is that they'll put together a decent menu for the Clubhouses that survive (massages might make a comeback at JFK and LHR; at the very least, the spa seems likely to survive once the dust settled). It won't be as nice as it was before, I'm guessing, but it'll still be something.

(Still kicking myself for not forcing a flight through JFK back in March.)
Old Sep 18, 20, 10:23 am

Programs: OW Emerald/AA EXP, DL Plat, SPG Plat,
Just flew them roundtrip LHR - LAX, Upper Class. Was reminded that it's the crews that are a cut above the competition. I'd take that over 11 hours of attitude on another airline any day. The crews were, as they always have been, amazing.

Yes, it was VERY different under COVID restrictions, but the people remain the same. As long as Virgin can keep treating them well as can, and as long as they keep loving their jobs, that puts them ahead of whatever the competition is up to.
Old Sep 20, 20, 9:37 pm

Programs: CX, BA
Frequent flyer in early 2000's, twice a month HKG-LHR returns, LHR-DEL 8 times a year, plus US and SA frequently.

Yes, the staff used to make the difference. Clubhouse would come second in my priority, massages (only ever had one in flight, through choice) and in flight bars - zero interest.

I say the staff 'used' to make the difference, as in my experience on the HKG-LHR flights, the attentive in flight service deteriorated rapidly once the route was extended to SYD. Whereas before, the staff had 3 or so days in HKG, on return from SYD, they only had one night in HKG, and would still continue their parties from 'down under'.

I am by no means a demanding customer, however, flying so frequently on a particular route, you notice when the service level drops consistently. It was at this point, I change most of my Asia flights to a non UK competitor.
Qatar Airways likes this.
Old Oct 2, 20, 4:24 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by skye1 View Post
Just flew them roundtrip LHR - LAX, Upper Class. Was reminded that it's the crews that are a cut above the competition. I'd take that over 11 hours of attitude on another airline any day. The crews were, as they always have been, amazing.

Yes, it was VERY different under COVID restrictions, but the people remain the same. As long as Virgin can keep treating them well as can, and as long as they keep loving their jobs, that puts them ahead of whatever the competition is up to.
I am taking VS LAX/LHR next week. Anything notable with covid changes?
Old Oct 5, 20, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
I personally think VS lost its edge years ago. The hard product on most planes is terrible and even the few fitted with the Upper Class Suites aren't really that impressive. As they say, the devil is in the details and the Upper Class amenity kits look like they came from a garbage can, no matter how desperate VS tries to spin them as environment-friendly.
Old Oct 5, 20, 3:00 pm

I think the Middle East airlines with their various suites have taken the lead over all European and American Airlines
Old Oct 6, 20, 4:09 am

Programs: DL Plat, AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Diamond (Aspire)
I flew Virgin for the first time in many years this weekend (MIA-LHR) - and I don't think I would like to fly that airline under normal (non covid) circumstances. There were 3 pax in Upper Class - so I could have the seat next to me converted to a bed (they actually already had done that before boarding) and I was able to use the two neighboring seats for storage. But on a full flight, those seats must be awful. There is next to no space for anything - I was really surprised how useless that hard product is - I would pick BA or AA on that route any time, especially the night flight. I can see the FAs being a tad better then on BA - and quite a bit over AA - but if the goal is to be comfortable in a seat that reclines, has space for water and some items - both beat VS by far.
Old Oct 10, 20, 2:15 pm

Vs have had some great moments in their history.Pretty good at the marketing gimmicks.
not everyones cup of tea, yet definitely upped the game and made some waves.
They created that element of excitement and "new". Actually it was all just a refresh in many ways with a sprinkling of Glam and rockstar in the mix.
fun whilst it lasted.

not such a magical Tail now.

Introduction of the Freedom menu

Athens route menu

Carfield and Greenpen like this.
Old Oct 14, 20, 11:43 am

Programs: BA VS
The amentiy kit has NEVER been of concern to me on any carrier. VS had the advantage of being the first to break the barrier and introduce serious changes with UC, my first with them was in 1984 LGW-EWR. It is to their credit that everyone followed them, including BA. However, as time went on, pax stared expecting everything for less money. So they had to start squeezing and so did most other carriers. The only reason my last trip (Feb 20) was on BA was because VS were using the 787 to JNB and no return from CPT. When they put the A350 onto JNB I shall try them again. However, they plan to put the 787 on the CPT route, so I shall have to either return via JNB or use BA. The 787 is no longer my choice due to the non-windows.

The world wants to pay less money and, after Covid, I expect the world will want to pay even less.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: