Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Virgin Atlantic adds ability to earn Tier Points on award flights

Old Aug 20, 20, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ, DL, AC, AS, AA, BA, Marriott, Hilton, IHG, Hyatt

https://thepointsguy.com/news/virgin-tier-points-award-flights-status-extension/

Are there any other airline program that allows earning status on award flights? I'm not aware of any. Could this be a revolutionary decision that will change the industry post-COVID?
Old Aug 20, 20, 7:45 am

All the improvements to flying club rolled out today are really innovative. Its a shame traffic won't pick up for a good while due to Covid.
Old Aug 20, 20, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thepi View Post
All the improvements to flying club rolled out today are really innovative. Its a shame traffic won't pick up for a good while due to Covid.
I've always wanted award travel to count toward status. Hopefully other airlines are paying attention!
Jma12 and Air Houston like this.
Old Aug 20, 20, 3:02 pm

Programs: AC25K, AS MVP, WS Silver, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, DL,BA,KE
status

I wonder the same applies to Skypeso redeeming for VS flight.
NOLAnwGOLD likes this.
Old Aug 20, 20, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jma12 View Post
I doubt it.
Old Aug 20, 20, 5:23 pm

I wonder how this would combine with the changes announced to voucher usage from the credit card too. If I upgrade a premium ticket to upper, I assume this becomes an upper redemption earning the associated higher level of tier points? Very good deal if so, pay for a PE ticket and get a tier point earning upper flight...
Tofino87 likes this.
Old Aug 20, 20, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by alextheengineer View Post
I wonder how this would combine with the changes announced to voucher usage from the credit card too. If I upgrade a premium ticket to upper, I assume this becomes an upper redemption earning the associated higher level of tier points? Very good deal if so, pay for a PE ticket and get a tier point earning upper flight...
exactly what I’ve been wondering!
Jma12 likes this.
Old Aug 21, 20, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
Originally Posted by Jma12 View Post
Of course not! If Delta wanted to be led by Virgin Atlantic in terms of frequent flyer programme developments, then they would have adopted other Virgin policies by now, or even folded their own SkyMiles programme into Flying Club.
Old Aug 21, 20, 2:32 am

Programs: BD BA CO
Does the credit card upgrade voucher have to be used on a simple point to point ticket or could it be used for something like LAX-LHR-DEL (with a long “stopover” in LHR)?
Tofino87 and Jma12 like this.
Old Aug 21, 20, 4:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by alextheengineer View Post
Originally Posted by Tofino87 View Post
exactly what I’ve been wondering!
Interesting... it probably depends on whether the upgrades also use "G" class - which is now listed as TP earning - or whether there is a separate fare code for upgrades (which isn't). I can't recall...
Old Aug 21, 20, 10:33 am

The changes to the vouchers is interesting. I have two US based BOA VS cards both of which have received 25k in spend annually for the past several years which means I should have several vouchers. I see zero mention anywhere in FC account of these (my activity just shows activity related redeemable points (CC spend, shopping portal spend) and tier points). I put in a text to FC to see if they see the vouchers. Never paid them any mind before since they were effectively useless to me prior to this. And I know I cleared the $25k spend hurdle because my 15k points also earned for crossing that threshold clearly show up in my statements.

Per the BoA terms:
Notification of the Enhanced Anniversary Award Benefit will be on your Flying Club statement four to six weeks after reaching the $25,000 spend threshold. The Enhanced Anniversary Award Benefit must be redeemed within two years of issue.
Old Aug 22, 20, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by andymac66 View Post
Does the credit card upgrade voucher have to be used on a simple point to point ticket or could it be used for something like LAX-LHR-DEL (with a long “stopover” in LHR)?
that would be even more incredible value.

my own best guess would be that they’ll say that it’s 4 legs. And that a MasterCard voucher is either for a non-stop return or two non-stop one-ways, realistically.

would love to be proven wrong!!
Old Aug 22, 20, 12:28 am
Original Poster

I would love it if BA copies this.
Jma12 likes this.
Old Aug 23, 20, 12:50 pm

Programs: Gold 5*
I am RED Tier with flying club, and i get the free companion flight offer (or free upgrade)..
With the lower status, u could only use the free companion voucher for economey class (and then use more miles if u wanted to uprade to PE)...
However, reading yesterday, it now says you can use the voucher for econ & PE for the buy1get1free ! to me, thats a good thing!
Old Aug 23, 20, 4:25 pm

Programs: AC25K, AS MVP, WS Silver, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, DL,BA,KE
Originally Posted by andymac66 View Post
Why stop at DEL when you can go to PVG or HKG

Search this Thread
Search Engine: