Can I use miles for someone else?

Old May 6, 2020, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Can I use miles for someone else?

Just like the title says, can I use my miles to buy tickets for someone else? (in my case 2 people)

I know I can do it on Delta but not sure about virgin atlantic.

I don't have any miles in my account yet so I can't try.

If it works, I would be transferring chase/amex points
Old May 6, 2020, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by dhlee528
Just like the title says, can I use my miles to buy tickets for someone else? (in my case 2 people)

I know I can do it on Delta but not sure about virgin atlantic.

I don't have any miles in my account yet so I can't try.

If it works, I would be transferring chase/amex points
Yes you can but I think you are crazy sorry to say if you are considering transferring points to Virgin (VS) at this time. They are on thinner ice than a lot of other airlines. I think there is a decent chance they survive but I wouldn't be transferring points to them at this time.
jsn55 likes this.
Old May 6, 2020, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 36902BRF
Yes you can but I think you are crazy sorry to say if you are considering transferring points to Virgin (VS) at this time. They are on thinner ice than a lot of other airlines. I think there is a decent chance they survive but I wouldn't be transferring points to them at this time.
Thanks for quick reply.

Is it still bad idea if I'm using miles to get ticket on delta domestic flight?
Old May 6, 2020, 8:40 pm

Thanks for quick reply.

The flying carrier (Delta) is not paid by the ticketing carrier (Virgin) until the tickets are flown. Obviously if Virgin has ceased to be then Delta isn't likely to get paid so the tickets are effectively null and void. Now the real situation is a little more nuanced since Delta owns 49% of Virgin and some percent of the separate Virgin Flying Club program so there is a chance that Delta would honor the award tickets but it is not guaranteed by any stretch. I assume you have looked at transferring the points to either Delta or Flying Blue and booking that way and those are higher cost points-wise? You might want to consider paying more in points as an insurance policy.
Jma12 likes this.
Old May 7, 2020, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
It's also something that will be flagged as fraud. (not saying you are committing one, but you'd have to deal with the hassle of proving it)

FF accounts that have zero activity, then receive miles from a credit card conversion, then book reward flights for somebody other than the member...

Along with everything else that is going on with VS, this isn't a good idea.
jsn55 likes this.
Old May 7, 2020, 7:20 am

Programs: DL, BA, AA Plat Pro, MLIfe Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Thanks for quick reply.

I'm not sure if you are in need of miles/points from both Chase and Amex to make the purchase but you can transfer your Amex MR's directly to your Delata SkyMiles account and secure an award ticket that way. If you need rewards from both accounts deposited into Virgin FF account to make the transaction then feel free to disregard my suggestion.
Old May 7, 2020, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Thanks for suggestions, I'll look into other ones as well.

transferring to Delta might be last option, they charge a lot so buying with cash might be better or use Chase portal.
Old May 7, 2020, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Thanks for suggestions, I'll look into other ones as well.

transferring to Delta might be last option, they charge a lot so buying with cash might be better or use Chase portal.
If Delta is "charging a lot", the award flights are unlikely to be available via Flying Club.
Old May 7, 2020, 12:44 pm

Programs: No airline status whatsoever, Chase URs, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
I have booked award tix for my husband with my miles, and vice versa. We have the same last name and mailing address. If it's not in the FC rules on the website, I'd contact them via social media. As much as I love Virgin, I'd not be booking anything with them for another month or two.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.