Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Virgin Airmiles - What is best to do in present situation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 30, 2020, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: craigthemif
Flying Club is NOT owned by Virgin Atlantic the airline.

Flying Club is owned 51% by the Virgin Group (i.e. Sir Richard Branson's holding company) and 49% by Delta Airlines.

VS going into administration does NOT automatically mean the end of Flying Club!
Print Wikipost

Virgin Airmiles - What is best to do in present situation?

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2020, 5:07 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Why accumulate points only to never spend them? And then potentially have them disappear into thin air?

It's easy enough to debate what will happen with VS and Flying Club and be generally positive about it, but it's not a bad idea to reset your expectations of the value of a VS mile. The ANA sweetspot is going away sooner or later, and many Brits have zero interest in DL rewards.

Or you can choose some genuinely risk-free cash-saving options such as Eurostar vouchers or hotel points...
Well said - was hoping to use them on an UC upgrade to NYC; but conscious that the FC miles are very likely to be devalued in a new world. If I’ve got the points solely through a credit card; then they’re free anyhow..
Old May 3, 2020, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Jet Privileges still exists, even though Jet Airways collapsed last year...
I had a decent amount of JP miles and when Jet Airways went bust the FF program stuck around. Same as Flying club it wasn't owned by Jet Airways. Still some decent redemptions through it.
craigthemif likes this.
Old May 4, 2020, 7:22 pm

Tried to cancel my flight in late December 2020 via text message. Sent me a note that I need to wait until 48 hours before my flight to make a change because they are "too" busy.
Old May 6, 2020, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by Flyer_11
Tried to cancel my flight in late December 2020 via text message. Sent me a note that I need to wait until 48 hours before my flight to make a change because they are "too" busy.
I’d try phoning them; long wait but were very helpful in cancelling a booking- refund not due for 100 days as per.
Old May 8, 2020, 5:56 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by londonba2014
Well said - was hoping to use them on an UC upgrade to NYC; but conscious that the FC miles are very likely to be devalued in a new world. If I’ve got the points solely through a credit card; then they’re free anyhow..
But you could have got yourself a cash back credit card and earned money, or indeed an Avios, IHG or some other scheme credit card. Points are not really free when there was an alternate strategy.
Old May 8, 2020, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dougzz
But you could have got yourself a cash back credit card and earned money, or indeed an Avios, IHG or some other scheme credit card. Points are not really free when there was an alternate strategy.

Shhhh... Even though you're completely correct, this whole miles and points hobby is now fully dependent on the travel companies receiving revenue from selling miles/points but cardholders treating the miles as "free" and spending them on sub-optimal rewards...
Old May 8, 2020, 5:31 pm

Shhhh... Even though you're completely correct, this whole miles and points hobby is now fully dependent on the travel companies receiving revenue from selling miles/points but cardholders treating the miles as "free" and spending them on sub-optimal rewards...
Funny..
Old May 8, 2020, 6:40 pm

Funny..
Funny but spot on. In the US I can easily get a no-fee 2% cashback card (in fact I have one). This means at a minimum I need to value whatever I am getting in awards per dollar above 2 US cents. Thus any "free" CC awards I get, come at the opportunity cost of 2 cents.
Old May 9, 2020, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Funny..
Apologies if you thought that was a personal attack. In the context of FC, you are quite right to get rid of the miles as best you can, instead of remaining anchored to a certain value or opportunity cost...

But when people treat miles as "free", they tend to misuse them or simply let them expire. When people treat their miles as having a particular value, then they are much more likely to use them well.

Originally Posted by 36902BRF
Funny but spot on. In the US I can easily get a no-fee 2% cashback card (in fact I have one). This means at a minimum I need to value whatever I am getting in awards per dollar above 2 US cents. Thus any "free" CC awards I get, come at the opportunity cost of 2 cents.
Sign-up bonuses aside, almost everybody should be on a 2% cashback card if they can get it. Even if you accumulate miles to spend on long haul J or F, many people would still be better off with the cashback in their bank account to take advantage of fare sales, etc. or to just fly in Y and pay for a really nice hotel (where you'll spend far more hours than the flight will take).

Sadly, the UK doesn't have 2% cashback cards...
ankomonkey likes this.
Old May 9, 2020, 8:51 am

Interesting HfP article here - about VS and FC. https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/0...uptcy-process/
Old May 9, 2020, 8:57 am

Sign-up bonuses aside, almost everybody should be on a 2% cashback card if they can get it. Even if you accumulate miles to spend on long haul J or F, many people would still be better off with the cashback in their bank account to take advantage of fare sales, etc. or to just fly in Y and pay for a really nice hotel (where you'll spend far more hours than the flight will take).
You're telling me all those bloggers making their income off of affiliate links on credit cards are lying to me?
RAPC likes this.
Old May 9, 2020, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
You're telling me all those bloggers making their income off of affiliate links on credit cards are lying to me?
LOL. Of course you are compensated with a sign-up bonus. But the big lie is of course that you'll easily be able to spend that sign-up bonus getting to Europe or Asia in F. Everybody from blogger to bank to airline tells the same lie...

AFAIK no affiliate marketer earns based on how much $ you actually spend on a card...
Old May 9, 2020, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
There is no free Visa or Mastercard currently available paying more than 0.25% cashback in the UK, assuming you want cash and not a voucher. The free Virgin card at 0.75 miles per £1 is 3 times as generous based on 1p per mile ......
kitbag1984 likes this.
Old May 10, 2020, 5:18 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Weighing up whether I should:

1) Leave my 120k in VS and wait / hope that it survives
2) Use them to book ANA F NRT-JFK for sometime in 2021
3) Transfer to Hilton
Old May 10, 2020, 6:43 am

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Isochronous
Weighing up whether I should:

1) Leave my 120k in VS and wait / hope that it survives
2) Use them to book ANA F NRT-JFK for sometime in 2021
3) Transfer to Hilton
Or use can redeem for DL flight for the future. They will likely to be valid, as DL owns 49% of FC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.