Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Virgin Airmiles - What is best to do in present situation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 30, 2020, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: craigthemif
Flying Club is NOT owned by Virgin Atlantic the airline.

Flying Club is owned 51% by the Virgin Group (i.e. Sir Richard Branson's holding company) and 49% by Delta Airlines.

VS going into administration does NOT automatically mean the end of Flying Club!
Print Wikipost

Virgin Airmiles - What is best to do in present situation?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2020, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by lkar
Has the transfer actually gone through yet?

Who knows how the agreement between VS and Hilton works but at some point VS is going to be asked to write a check for the Hilton points and I suspect that once it gets to the attention of whomever is controlling the purse strings over there that we might see VS reluctant to do so. They don't seem in position to be letting cash go out the door at the moment. Probably won't affect in process transfers but you have to believe that this possibility may not exist much longer.
It is also entirely possible that points transferred to Hilton get clawed-back if Hilton isn't paid. We have no idea when VS pays for the points but it could be months later for all we know. Not saying that is going to happen but we don't know.

Last edited by 36902BRF; Apr 28, 2020 at 7:05 pm
Old Apr 28, 2020, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by BostonGuy
I booked award travel on Delta metal last night with Flying Club points, and have a confirmed flight on Delta.com. Would they really not honor that?
It is certainly more than possible it won't be honored. Delta is more likely than other partners through to honor it in my book. I put close to zero chance on NH honoring and not a lot higher on AF/KLM.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by mbmd
Trying to ride it out. Made the last of my bookings and have 0 pts left in my account (DL trans atlantic J and ANA F). I encourage everyone to do that or cash out via Hilton. If they go into administratorship, there's a 0% chance unused points survive (or their chart gets severely slashed). There's always the chance partners will honor the bookings though, albeit a small one.
The VS program is separate for the airline so it doesn't necessarily automatically fail if the airline does. If I recall there was some regret on the part of BMI folks who blew their points balances on less than optimal *A partner awards after BA took over the program since their points could have potentially been better used. I am not saying you are wrong, I am just saying we are all guessing as to what is the best outcome here.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 3:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by 36902BRF
It is also entirely possible that points transferred to Hilton get clawed-back if Hilton isn't paid. We have no idea when VS pays for the points but it could be months later for all we know. Not saying that is going to happen but we don't know.

I would be surprised if Hilton did this. They have an agreement with Virgin and I really don't see them saying "oh yeah we let you transfer your VS miles to Hilton points but VS didn't pay us so we are taking your points away". I would personally not see this as a risk.

That said, since someone said it took 21 days for the transfer to complete. If VS went belly up before the points hit your HH account, then I could definitely imagine HH saying "tough luck".
Jma12 and mbmd like this.

Last edited by Enigma368; Apr 29, 2020 at 3:22 pm
Old Apr 30, 2020, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Enigma368

That said, since someone said it took 21 days for the transfer to complete. If VS went belly up before the points hit your HH account, then I could definitely imagine HH saying "tough luck".
I don't know how many times I have to say this, so I put it in a wiki.

VS does NOT own Flying Club. If VS goes belly up then Flying Club can easily survive as a standalone entity.

Feel free to continue speculating, but it's about time that people started abbreviating Flying Club with something other than VS...
Old Apr 30, 2020, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
I don't know how many times I have to say this, so I put it in a wiki.

VS does NOT own Flying Club. If VS goes belly up then Flying Club can easily survive as a standalone entity.

Feel free to continue speculating, but it's about time that people started abbreviating Flying Club with something other than VS...
This leads to another dilemma: is it safer to have your miles tied up in a partner booking, or to leave them in your account?
Let's say you have an NH ticket booked with FC miles and issued by VS (932 stock). If VS were to go under but FC survive, are you then left in a situation where your ticket becomes void (932 no longer accepted), even though the financial burden of the ticket lies with FC, so NH could still charge them for the flight?

I understand that it's possible for FC to survive if VS don't, but how could they issue award tickets without a mother airline? Technically, DL could step in if they are willing and able to, but it seems unlikely they would partner up with *A members (i.e. half of FC's current partners). If they were to kill the *A contracts then, effectively, FC would be reduced to DL, AF, and KL.

For the record, I don't wish for any of this to happen. For the time being we have decided to weather the storm and stick with VS/FC.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CosmicGirl
This leads to another dilemma: is it safer to have your miles tied up in a partner booking, or to leave them in your account?
Let's say you have an NH ticket booked with FC miles and issued by VS (932 stock). If VS were to go under but FC survive, are you then left in a situation where your ticket becomes void (932 no longer accepted), even though the financial burden of the ticket lies with FC, so NH could still charge them for the flight?

I understand that it's possible for FC to survive if VS don't, but how could they issue award tickets without a mother airline? Technically, DL could step in if they are willing and able to, but it seems unlikely they would partner up with *A members (i.e. half of FC's current partners). If they were to kill the *A contracts then, effectively, FC would be reduced to DL, AF, and KL.

For the record, I don't wish for any of this to happen. For the time being we have decided to weather the storm and stick with VS/FC.
Jet Privileges still exists, even though Jet Airways collapsed last year...

If FC survives, and has the money to pay for partner awards - after all, it could still have the Amex contract in the US and almost certainly the Virgin Money one in the UK bringing in $$ / ££ - then your booked flights ought to be safe. Partnership agreements could indeed be torn up without a mother airline, but I'm not aware of any future award travel being cancelled when partnership agreements are cancelled or expire.

And finally, in an extreme scenario a DL or AF or even BA could come in and pay bankruptcy administrators $1 for a profitable loyalty programme full of customer data. You might end up with a mileage currency and partner options you may not necessarily want, but it shouldn't be worthless...
CosmicGirl likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 6:21 am

If FC survives, and has the money to pay for partner awards - after all, it could still have the Amex contract in the US
I assume you mean Bank of America (if talking about co-branded card)?
Old Apr 30, 2020, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 36902BRF
I assume you mean Bank of America (if talking about co-branded card)?
Quite possibly... I don't really track who issues which co-branded credit card in the US, although I imagine you can convert Amex MR points to VS miles in the US as you can in the UK.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 8:38 am

Quite possibly... I don't really track who issues which co-branded credit card in the US, although I imagine you can convert Amex MR points to VS miles in the US as you can in the UK.
BoA owns the co-brand relationship. Chase/Amex/Citi/Diners Club all transfer to Flying Club in US.
Old May 1, 2020, 6:01 am

Programs: BAEC
Has anyone transferred their points across to Eurostar recently; thinking about cashing out my FC balance to e-vouchers with them.
Old May 2, 2020, 8:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL 360, UA 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by londonba2014
Has anyone transferred their points across to Eurostar recently; thinking about cashing out my FC balance to e-vouchers with them.
why accumulate points only to waste them?
Jerkstore likes this.
Old May 3, 2020, 2:24 am

Programs: Confirmed
The reported non-availability of Delta One and ANA looks like a bad sign to me.
Old May 3, 2020, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by A321neo
why accumulate points only to waste them?
Why accumulate points only to never spend them? And then potentially have them disappear into thin air?

It's easy enough to debate what will happen with VS and Flying Club and be generally positive about it, but it's not a bad idea to reset your expectations of the value of a VS mile. The ANA sweetspot is going away sooner or later, and many Brits have zero interest in DL rewards.

Or you can choose some genuinely risk-free cash-saving options such as Eurostar vouchers or hotel points...
Old May 3, 2020, 12:52 pm

Brits have zero interest in DL rewards.
Oh, I dunno. DeltaOne out of Amsterdam look pretty interesting. The A350 & A339 look decent enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.