Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Opinions wanted - VS or QR for January 2021 flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2020, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Hi all. I posted a similar on the BA forum and the general consensus was QR over BA but now VS are in the picture I’m looking for further advice.

Im looking at flying J to JNB in Jan. QR are currently offering DUB-DOH-JNB on 788 & 359 for about €1850 rtn. That’s the lowest QR have been ex DUB in a very long time. On similar dates ex OSL they’re about €1350. Add in the DUB-OSL hop with bags and it’s about €1550. The advantage ex DUB is I can add in car hire to make it a package and just put down €150 deposit pp

For similar dates BA DUB-LHR-JNB in J are about €2400. Again I can add car hire to make it a package and just put down a deposit.

Now VS have added ex DUB fares for about €2150.

So, is the longer flight time with QR worth it for their service over BA or VS? Connections in DOH are about 90mins, about 2.5-3 hrs in LHR. I’m edging away from the OSL option, it seems like a hassle too much, extra self connect etc.

As a ref, I’m BA Gold and will almost certainly requalify either way so TP don’t matter. Never flown QR but flown J with AC, SQ, BA, AA, UA, VS so a bit of variety.

Thanks guys
Old Apr 19, 2020, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
VS will not be alive in January 2021. The only sure thing is (rich) government owned and supported airlines such as QR.

I'm not even sure that any country in the world will be open to receiving foreign tourists in January 2021.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 2:51 pm

I am certainly somewhat less pessimistic than craigthemif and we have no idea what the future holds but VS is clearly the most at risk to fail between, VS, BA (IAG) and QR. If it were me my primary driver would be on making a reservation that was refundable and held the least risk of complications. At this point I am only booking speculative points bookings with low fees for this reason.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 3:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
My opinion is that the thread title be much more specific.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by craigthemif
I'm not even sure that any country in the world will be open to receiving foreign tourists in January 2021.
Of course they will. Most will be open later this summer. Once countries have passed the first peak the next step will be to put systems in place to allow business and economies to function again. This might include temperature checks, mandatory face masks, testing or a combination of all these but international travel will resume. Whether there is demand is another thing entirely but countries don’t keep borders closed for extended periods.
Jma12 likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jp-mco
Of course they will. Most will be open later this summer. Once countries have passed the first peak the next step will be to put systems in place to allow business and economies to function again. This might include temperature checks, mandatory face masks, testing or a combination of all these but international travel will resume. Whether there is demand is another thing entirely but countries don’t keep borders closed for extended periods.
Until there is a vaccine, only the most desperate of countries will want tourists arriving... bringing the coronavirus with them.

Testing would be nice, but since very few countries can even come close to testing their own health care workers, much less the wider citizenry, how are they supposed to test every tourist arrival?

It's fine to be optimistic if you want. but booking travel right now is just a recipe for having your money locked up indefinitely as "vouchers" (or worse...)
Old Apr 20, 2020, 1:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jp-mco
Very unlikely that there is anything resembling normal travel later this summer. Talk of a vaccine is a red herring, and even if routes are open expect severely restricted infrastructure and self-funded quarantine at a minimum.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Very unlikely that there is anything resembling normal travel later this summer. Talk of a vaccine is a red herring, and even if routes are open expect severely restricted infrastructure and self-funded quarantine at a minimum.
I don't believe I said it would be "normal travel" - you said that. What I said was that borders would be open and international travel would be able to resume. I then went on to point out that there may not be the demand for it but I'm pretty certain borders will be open.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 2:10 am
Suspended

Sure, borders will gradually reopen, but it's not clear to me whether this will be for tourist purposes. In order for travel to happen you need a lot more than than an open border. You need hotels, restaurants, local infrastructure to work. I suspect that semi-essential business travel, supported by contracts/agreements will slowly get going first, though possibly with the threat of quarantine. What is not going to happen by July is a family of four from the UK spending a week in Disneyland.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 2:11 am
Suspended

Op, whatever you do, make sure you book direct with the airline and pay with a credit card. Do not use a debit card.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 2:13 am
Suspended

Back on topic, there is no way I would give money to an airline which may not be around in six months time, only so they could hold it as a cash position for flights that might not be operated at all.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 2:21 am

Until there is a vaccine, only the most desperate of countries will want tourists arriving... bringing the coronavirus with them.

Testing would be nice, but since very few countries can even come close to testing their own health care workers, much less the wider citizenry, how are they supposed to test every tourist arrival?

It's fine to be optimistic if you want. but booking travel right now is just a recipe for having your money locked up indefinitely as "vouchers" (or worse...)
It's not about being optimistic - it's about being realistic. There are so many countries that rely on travel for tourism and industry to survive. Yes, we know that CV-19 disproportionately affects the elderly and those with underlying health conditions but in terms of everyone else it's a relatively mild disease. If these countries want their economies to survive they will find a way.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What is not going to happen by July is a family of four from the UK spending a week in Disneyland.
Although I don't want to stray too far into politics, I dare say that Florida is crazy enough to have Disneyworld open in July....

Which then leads that notional UK family to the unfortunate position of having paid for a trip that might be operational but really ought not to take.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 2:48 am
Suspended

Although I don't want to stray too far into politics, I dare say that Florida is crazy enough to have Disneyworld open in July....

Which then leads that notional UK family to the unfortunate position of having paid for a trip that might be operational but really ought not to take.
Yes, that is true. FloridaMorons are out in full force on the (re-opened) beaches.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 2:48 am

What is not going to happen by July is a family of four from the UK spending a week in Disneyland.
I'll send you a DM :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.