Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Are VS currently paying out on agreed refunds ?

Are VS currently paying out on agreed refunds ?

Old Sep 24, 20, 4:11 pm

Received an email earlier inviting me to rebook instead of waiting for my refund - if I choose to rebook they are offering one of....a companion certificate for an award booking, a cabin upgrade or clubhouse access. I have 3 weeks to let them know if I want to rebook - by which time I will be at the 100 day mark since my cancelation.

So I guess my refund isn't coming anytime soon. Seems like another delaying tactic to me. I would do a chargeback, but have no desire to deal with Bank of America on that.
Old Sep 24, 20, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by so152so14 View Post
Received an email earlier inviting me to rebook instead of waiting for my refund - if I choose to rebook they are offering one of....a companion certificate for an award booking, a cabin upgrade or clubhouse access. I have 3 weeks to let them know if I want to rebook - by which time I will be at the 100 day mark since my cancelation.

So I guess my refund isn't coming anytime soon. Seems like another delaying tactic to me. I would do a chargeback, but have no desire to deal with Bank of America on that.
BofA is the worst I hear ya.
Old Sep 24, 20, 5:38 pm
Suspended

So file a complaint with the DOT?
Old Sep 26, 20, 4:34 am

Interesting, what type of ticket is being refunded that saw this offer?
Old Sep 26, 20, 6:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL

It should take 2-3 minutes to complete the online form for a chargeback. As you are due the refund and VS has acknowledged as much, it is close to a certainty that you will receive a relatively immediate temporary credit and that the credit will become permanent in short order because VS' merchant acquirer will not want to fool around with it.

Whether it is for a small or a large amount is immaterial. If it is important enough to post about here, you may have your refund in less than the time it takes to post.

Do bear in mind that you run the risk of running out the clock on a chargeback. For that reason, delaying a chargeback is always a poor idea. Both EC 261/2004 and US DOT rules require that a refund be initiated within 7 days of a request. There is no particular benefit to you in waiting past the 8th day.
Old Sep 27, 20, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by pazza2000 View Post
Interesting, what type of ticket is being refunded that saw this offer?
It was 2 PE/D1 Award Tickets - miles refunded but awaiting ~$1200 taxes and fees.

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
It should take 2-3 minutes to complete the online form for a chargeback. As you are due the refund and VS has acknowledged as much, it is close to a certainty that you will receive a relatively immediate temporary credit and that the credit will become permanent in short order because VS' merchant acquirer will not want to fool around with it.

Whether it is for a small or a large amount is immaterial. If it is important enough to post about here, you may have your refund in less than the time it takes to post.

Do bear in mind that you run the risk of running out the clock on a chargeback. For that reason, delaying a chargeback is always a poor idea. Both EC 261/2004 and US DOT rules require that a refund be initiated within 7 days of a request. There is no particular benefit to you in waiting past the 8th day.
OK - good to know. Will look into the chargeback - is too much money to play games with.
Old Sep 28, 20, 7:47 am

It was 2 PE/D1 Award Tickets - miles refunded but awaiting ~$1200 taxes and fees.
Interesting, I personally would maybe take them up on such an offer, optimistic they’ll survive. I have a similar reservation that’s been award cancelled however awaiting refund on the tax element, however it’s already in Upper Class on unsure what they could offer if I decided to hang on to it as a credit.
Old Sep 30, 20, 5:13 am

I would not be optimistic that VS survives. The recent rise in COVID cases mean that travel restrictions are unlikely to be eased anytime soon. So all they will do is take more bookings and not process refund. It's truly a disgrace.
pazza2000 likes this.
Old Sep 30, 20, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by tphuang View Post
I would not be optimistic that VS survives. The recent rise in COVID cases mean that travel restrictions are unlikely to be eased anytime soon. So all they will do is take more bookings and not process refund. It's truly a disgrace.
What alternative would you suggest?
Old Sep 30, 20, 7:19 pm

Here’s an update of 80 days to 60 days to get refund from an email I received today after I cancelled a partner award booking:
It is important to us that we provide clear expectations on the time it will take for you to receive your refund. We are committed to processing each refund at the earliest opportunity, but in some cases this may take up to a maximum of 60 days in total, from the date of this request (30 Sep 2020). In the case that this is a repeat request, we will look for the earliest date against Booking Reference Number XXXXXX rather than the date of this email. Please note, if your original refund request was made before August, it may take up to a maximum of 120 days to process.
I cancelled another trip back in February and that one did take close to 120 days for me to get the money back onto CC (received refund mid June).

Last edited by travelbugging; Sep 30, 20 at 7:24 pm
Old Oct 2, 20, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by gaz82 View Post
I booked three different flights via Netflights.com for my employees, for a business trip to MCO in April. All were flying out within a few days of each other. Requested refunds for all three flights on 7th April. One flight was refunded on 18th May but other two have not yet been refunded.

I'm struggling to understand Virgin's process for refunds, are they just picking and choosing bookings at random?? It's obviously not in chronological order from either the refund request or travel date!
Just an update to this, I finally received refunds for the two outstanding flights today, 179 days after the request was submitted!
Old Oct 3, 20, 1:37 am

What is the current time line (if given) for a flight cancelled now to be refunded?
Old Oct 3, 20, 10:40 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA Silver, AlaskaAir, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by pazza2000 View Post
What is the current time line (if given) for a flight cancelled now to be refunded?
Well, I put in for a refund on May 25th, have heard not a word from Virgin yet.... and I know I'm not the longest waiting!
Old Oct 3, 20, 8:49 pm
Suspended

So it seems like cash refunds are taking a pretty much indefinite amount of time. How long are points refunds taking?
Old Oct 4, 20, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by arjaok View Post
So it seems like cash refunds are taking a pretty much indefinite amount of time. How long are points refunds taking?
Regarding cash refunds, Virgin Atlantic have made a promise to pay all refund requests made up to the end of August by the end of October:

I quote:

"But speaking on BBC Radio 5 Live's Wake Up to Money programme on Monday, Virgin Atlantic boss Shai Weiss promised that refund requests would be handled faster. He promised:
  • Outstanding refund requests will be cleared by the end of October.
  • Refunds requested by the end of September will be paid within 60 days.
  • Refunds requested in October will be paid within 30 days.
He added that in November Virgin expects to go back to offering refunds within seven to 14 days."

Let's see...
kyushuman likes this.

Search this Thread