Wiki Posts
Search

Can I move my Flying club miles to?....

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2020, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX, BA
Can I move my Flying club miles to?....

I accumulated many Flying Club miles a number of years ago, being Gold member for over 7 years. Since 2008, I have been with other airlines (corporate choice), but have regularly topped up from my Amex account to keep miles alive. I have occasionally flown Virgin as a humble Red, using miles over the last 5 years, but I still have over 400,000 miles in my account.

Although I hope VA survives the current problems, I am nervous of loosing them as they were to be for travel in my retirement. (Yes, strange pension pot!!).

Is it possible to use their value elsewhere, by moving them, even if their conversion rate is poor?

Thanks for any advice
Old Apr 4, 2020, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Hilton or IHG are the usual suspects.

Hilton = 1 mile -> 1.5 points
IHG = 1 mile --> 1 point

People have different valuations, but a Hilton conversion destroys roughly 40% of the value of your VS miles. IHG roughly 60%.

But of course your VS miles could become worthless in a liquidation scenario.

I'm not aware of any reasonable way to convert VS miles into miles from a different airline.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
You need to look at the partners pages on the VS website to see that options are available to 'spend' your miles that suit you and also maintain as much of their value as possible.

But aren#t VS miles held in a separate company jointly owned by VS and DL rather than by VS itself?
Old Apr 4, 2020, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by EMIC
I am nervous of loosing them as they were to be for travel in my retirement. (Yes, strange pension pot!!).
It is honestly a bad idea to hold on to any loyalty currency long term. The risk of loss and even more so devaluation over time is rather high. I am also sitting on a six figure balance of VS miles (VA is Virgin Australia) but that was only because I was earning points (across many programs) faster than I could burn them.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear

But aren#t VS miles held in a separate company jointly owned by VS and DL rather than by VS itself?
They are but it is not clear this effectively makes much difference. While as far as I know the figures are not available the assumption is this separate entity is probably only funded to account for the normal in and out flows of points and cash and is not funded to survive a run on the the VS point bank.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
And airline partnerships are usually reliant on netting off of miles and rewards - i.e. ANA members earning/redeeming on VS metal to offset VS members earning/redeeming on ANA metal - take away Virgin Atlantic and there's very little reason for those airline partnerships to last long.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL 360, UA 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador
Unless VS ceases to exist, I suspect the miles will stay. It's almost unprecedented for an airline to undergo bankruptcy, reemerge, and alienate their frequent travelers from the outset.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX, BA
Originally Posted by 36902BRF
It is honestly a bad idea to hold on to any loyalty currency long term. The risk of loss and even more so devaluation over time is rather high. I am also sitting on a six figure balance of VS miles (VA is Virgin Australia) but that was only because I was earning points (across many programs) faster than I could burn them.
My apologies - my account is with Virgin Atlantic - not V Australia
Old Aug 2, 2020, 9:49 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Any one have any recent experience for a VS miles --> Hilton transfer? I did one a few months back practically emptying my balance and seemed to work out fine (all accomplished via text!). But was going to liquidate out my Citi ThankYou Rewards points (not much else for me to use them for) so was going to do a CITI --> VS --> Hilton transfer. I assume that does give VS some incremental income in the process too.

Yes I do believe that VS FF program is owned by Virgin Group and Delta as a separate company officially.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 2:46 am

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by 36902BRF
I disagree. I have seven figure Avios...highly unlikely to go belly up..devaluation, maybe...but then, you can't just use them up to fly off to some long haul destination at the drop of a hat to use them up as most of us have commitments. Likewise, my KLM stash, similar scenario .
Major airlines I see as minimal risk and retirement use is a good option.
pazza2000 likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 5:31 am

Will be interesting to see how things play out with Virgin Atl. & Flying Club (Virgin Group) down the line! I knew they would power through the short term with a rescue package, however will be interesting see what the mid to long term looks like for them, they are definitely on softer ground than say BA
londonba2014 likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 6:26 am

Programs: LH *G (SEN), VS Silver, BA Silver, Goldpointplus Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor silver, *ACP
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
Any one have any recent experience for a VS miles --> Hilton transfer? I did one a few months back practically emptying my balance and seemed to work out fine (all accomplished via text!).
I did a VS to HH transfer via text (SMS) 25 days ago. In principle, I was happy with the VS text process (easy, friendly, not time consuming, and I've used it before for some other transactions).

However the final VS text said "it could take up to 30 days for HH to accept this transaction" and as of now (day 25) the points have not yet arrived in my HH account. On day 31, I will be getting in touch with HH and VS if the points haven't landed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.