Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Virgin Atlantic COVID-19 Cancellations and related issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin Atlantic COVID-19 Cancellations and related issues

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2020, 3:11 pm

I have business class tickets on Virgin Atlantic departing end of June and returning mid-July. We are supposed to go on a cruise and although it has not yet been cancelled yet I have a feeling it will be cancelled. I am pretty sure the flights may be cancelled too. If the flights are cancelled I would prefer to get a refund of the money spent and points redeposited in account. Is this possible or must you use the point and dollars spent on a future booking? And must you rebook something by a certain date if they are not giving refunds? The flight LAX-LHR was 155,000 points plus $1250 cash and the return flight LHR-LAX was 155,000 points plus $1,100. I really don't want to use the points and money for another trip to London. Can I use them for a future trip to Tokyo for business or first class tickets on one of the partner airlines? I am planning on going to Tokyo in April, 2021 and could use the points and money for those flights I plan to book. I see that they partner with ANA and Delta, both having non-stop flights.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 7:34 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by LosAngelesCarol
I have business class tickets on Virgin Atlantic departing end of June and returning mid-July. We are supposed to go on a cruise and although it has not yet been cancelled yet I have a feeling it will be cancelled. I am pretty sure the flights may be cancelled too. If the flights are cancelled I would prefer to get a refund of the money spent and points redeposited in account. Is this possible or must you use the point and dollars spent on a future booking? And must you rebook something by a certain date if they are not giving refunds? The flight LAX-LHR was 155,000 points plus $1250 cash and the return flight LHR-LAX was 155,000 points plus $1,100. I really don't want to use the points and money for another trip to London. Can I use them for a future trip to Tokyo for business or first class tickets on one of the partner airlines? I am planning on going to Tokyo in April, 2021 and could use the points and money for those flights I plan to book. I see that they partner with ANA and Delta, both having non-stop flights.
If the flights are cancelled, you can cancel for a refund of miles and money. I'd recommend reading this thread about how VS is delaying refunds. Are VS currently paying out on agreed refunds ?

Yes, you can use the miles for something else, assuming VS still exists at the time of your new trip. The booking window for April 2021 is opening soon although you might not find a lot of award space during cherry blossom season. There's an entire thread about booking ANA, but the short version is to looked for space on united.com then call VS to book. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virg...ub-points.html
Old May 5, 2020, 8:43 am

Programs: mileage plus
i have upcoming travel on VS1/VS2 LHR-EWR in August. booked through air france under AF6750/51, but the route is now permanently terminated. any ideas for how to approach this and what my options are?
Old May 6, 2020, 6:15 am

I contacted VS regarding a refund for a cancelled flight and they've offered mileage incentives to keep the ticket open and rebook later (no change fee or fare difference needed if it's the same route). Any idea how many miles they're offering?

Really if I can get >10k miles I'll keep the ticket open, the option to rebook later this year is good and I didn't pay a ton for the ticket.
Old May 8, 2020, 3:03 am

Does a schedule change allow you a free cancellation? Have the return portion of a flight in September departure time has been slightly adjusted (advised to contact if unsuitable). Was booked with miles and keen to get back as much as I can vs rescheduling it, however I suspect as the outbound has already been flown, I will only get the chance to rebook or a little tax back only?
Old May 10, 2020, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
I contacted VS regarding a refund for a cancelled flight and they've offered mileage incentives to keep the ticket open and rebook later (no change fee or fare difference needed if it's the same route). Any idea how many miles they're offering?

Really if I can get >10k miles I'll keep the ticket open, the option to rebook later this year is good and I didn't pay a ton for the ticket.
I'm willing to do that because I have flights picked out already. I just can't get them to respond.
Old May 10, 2020, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by qofmiwok
I'm willing to do that because I have flights picked out already. I just can't get them to respond.
I haven't either, they sent the original you could get a mileage incentive response on Twitter and then nothing. I tried texting them as well with no response. Thinking about just doing a chargeback soon.
Old May 10, 2020, 2:12 pm

My ticket is on miles, but because they have my fuel surcharge money, and might not pay that out if they go bankrupt, I'd like to get that applied to new Delta One flights for September. Anybody know if you can use that form on their website for rescheduling with miles tickets? But the $ credit will be short so would they call me for the difference?

Just think about the number of calls they could avoid if they just laid these options out better on their website.
Old May 11, 2020, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by pazza2000
Does a schedule change allow you a free cancellation? Have the return portion of a flight in September departure time has been slightly adjusted (advised to contact if unsuitable). Was booked with miles and keen to get back as much as I can vs rescheduling it, however I suspect as the outbound has already been flown, I will only get the chance to rebook or a little tax back only?
Any idea? Tried to call to see my options (will be cancelling regardless), however gave up after a while on hold!
Old May 11, 2020, 2:53 pm

I had texted VS back on Thursday and they finally responded today saying they could "put in a refund request" for me but advised it's currently taking in excess of three months to "process" the refund. I said something about that being a lot longer than the 7 days the DOT gives for a refund and then it all went quiet. Guess a charge back is the best solution.
Old May 12, 2020, 1:08 pm

Interesting. I've been trying for days to book different flights, but they are miles tickets so the money involved is only for the surcharge. When we do finally finalize the change, hopefully those surcharges won't take as long to refund since it's only a few hundred $.
Old May 12, 2020, 1:46 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Interesting. I've been trying for days to book different flights, but they are miles tickets so the money involved is only for the surcharge. When we do finally finalize the change, hopefully those surcharges won't take as long to refund since it's only a few hundred $.
It's not the value of the refunds, but the volume to be processed that is driving much of the delays. I certainly wouldn't count on any refund to be any quicker on a redemption than on a full cash fare.
Old May 12, 2020, 1:55 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by RAPC
It's not the value of the refunds, but the volume to be processed that is driving much of the delays. I certainly wouldn't count on any refund to be any quicker on a redemption than on a full cash fare.
I agree with RAPC. I had two tickets booked with miles on Delta, so my only cash outlay was $5.60 per person. It took just over a month from cancelling my ticket on the phone until I received an email that they were processing my refund.
Old May 12, 2020, 2:08 pm

Have a flight IN A WEEK that was cancelled I don't know how long ago.
I never got an email from VA or Delta on the cancellation, though did get an email of a schedule change from Delta in mid-March.

I've been texting with VA for a couple weeks, and emailed them last week, and have seen no progress; not even a non-automated response.

This is brutal compared to the amazing experience cancelling a trip with Alaska, and with getting a full refund on our Airbnb reservation.
Old May 12, 2020, 3:39 pm

I am confused as to what I need to do. I had SFO-LHR RT (non-award) tickets departing 29 May, returning 08 June. I just checked Virgin website yesterday, and my outbound is completely gone from the booking, leaving me with a useless return flight on 08 June. Am I to assume VS canceled my flight, and will eventually cancel my inbound flight? Do I call them? Am I eligible for refund? Or will they only offer me re-booking with no change fee?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.