Merge 2 one ways in to a return

Old Mar 14, 20, 2:45 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 154
Merge 2 one ways in to a return

Tried searching the forum and various online resources and canít find the answer to this.

Ive got a one way redemption from LAS to MAN and reward seats have opened up for MAN to LAS, if I book the seat as a separate booking, can I call VS at a later date and merge the 2 bookings to save on the taxes? Iím sure itís possible but canít find where I previously read it.

Donít want to wait and lose the seat but donít want to call VS right now - theyíve got enough on their plates!
travellingjake is offline  
Old Mar 14, 20, 3:47 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Barcelona, London, on a plane
Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 8,734
You can't merge two PNRs into one later.

VS might be able to cancel the return and immediately re-book you as a return ticket if award space is still there or they can hold onto it through the cancellation process. They more likely than not will charge you the change fee.
travellingjake likes this.
craigthemif is offline  
Old Mar 14, 20, 4:50 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 154
Wink

Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
You can't merge two PNRs into one later.

VS might be able to cancel the return and immediately re-book you as a return ticket if award space is still there or they can hold onto it through the cancellation process. They more likely than not will charge you the change fee.
Thanks. Maybe Iím thinking of the BA 241. Might as well cancel the one way and just rebook as a return. Award availability wide open for some reason
travellingjake is offline  
Old Mar 14, 20, 4:52 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, SW Florida, and Toronto
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Posts: 28,816
You cannot merge two separate bookings into one.
LondonElite is offline  
Old Mar 14, 20, 8:03 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: London, Sth Africa or LAS
Programs: BA Silver but hotels.com Gold :)
Posts: 1,770
Interesting, useful to know. BAEC can do this when booking the second (return) leg for avios bookings.
I would therefore imagine its a VFC limitation.
littlefish is offline  
Old Mar 14, 20, 8:36 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 242
Originally Posted by littlefish View Post
Interesting, useful to know. BAEC can do this when booking the second (return) leg for avios bookings.
I would therefore imagine its a VFC limitation.
I think the difference is between booking the outbound and then calling up and converting it into a return/open jaw when you book the second flight, vs booking two separate one way tickets and then asking to merge them into one ticket.

As far as I know, if you book two separate flights with BA they also don't allow you to then combine then after the fact, although as you say if you book the outbound you can convert it into a return when you book the second leg (as do VS).
Theirin is offline  
Old Mar 15, 20, 3:53 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: London, Sth Africa or LAS
Programs: BA Silver but hotels.com Gold :)
Posts: 1,770
https://www.headforpoints.com/2019/1...ys-in-advance/
Here is a source confirming BAEC can do this. Whether they still do today, whether they will in all cases, is another matter ... but it can be done.
littlefish is offline  
Old Mar 15, 20, 5:15 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Barcelona, London, on a plane
Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 8,734
Originally Posted by littlefish View Post
https://www.headforpoints.com/2019/1...ys-in-advance/
Here is a source confirming BAEC can do this. Whether they still do today, whether they will in all cases, is another matter ... but it can be done.
Except the HfP article is all about how the OP's desired outcome CAN'T be done...
craigthemif is offline  
Old Jul 6, 20, 6:36 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Posts: 11,695
Originally Posted by travellingjake View Post
Tried searching the forum and various online resources and canít find the answer to this.

Ive got a one way redemption from LAS to MAN and reward seats have opened up for MAN to LAS, if I book the seat as a separate booking, can I call VS at a later date and merge the 2 bookings to save on the taxes? Iím sure itís possible but canít find where I previously read it.

Donít want to wait and lose the seat but donít want to call VS right now - theyíve got enough on their plates!

Did you manage to get this done? I booked my UK-US last week and want to book my return soon but the taxes coming back from the USA on a one way ticket are much more.
onlysuites is offline  
Old Jul 8, 20, 2:25 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 154
Originally Posted by onlysuites View Post
Did you manage to get this done? I booked my UK-US last week and want to book my return soon but the taxes coming back from the USA on a one way ticket are much more.
No, I had to rebook a return and cancel the one way.
travellingjake is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: