Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VAA tier point run on AF/KL

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2020, 8:55 am
AL
Original Poster

Programs: VS Gold, BA Gold, United Platinum Premier, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Elite, Marriott Gold Elite
Question VAA tier point run on AF/KL

Hi all,

I am currently 30 TPs away from an FC Gold upgrade, with my earning year ending at the end of the month. Given the fact that I can now earn VAA TPs on AF/KL, I'm looking to do a quick tier point run before the end of the month. VAA have confirmed to me on the phone that I can book any AF/KL/VS/DL operated flight and still earn TPs if I provide my VAA FC number at the point of booking. So far, so good.

If you have route suggestions - preferably from MAN, but I'm open to any departure airport in the UK - then I'd be open to hearing them. I'm happy to fly to an airport to catch the next flight back. I'm less in this for a city break than just getting those tier points!

Any other tips for doing this also greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

A
Old Feb 16, 2020, 12:24 pm

I'm in a similar boat but need more tier points. I'm new to this but looking at the partner earning charts you just need to find the cheapest business class flight in booking class I,Z to earn 40 points one way (under 600 miles) or return economy flight in the correct booking class (600 miles & over) for 25 points per leg. Other threads state to book independently of any KLM or AF membership numbers or points can end up in the wrong account. There is also an offer which may work for you to reduce the cost https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/0...servation-fee/
.If someone could verify the above as I'm no expert.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 6:42 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I'm wondering...basically what everyone here is wondering: Will a J/C/D-booked round-trip ticket on AF from (say) CDG-ARN pull 400 TPs? That would be about...oh, EUR2.50-2.60/point at current prices for that bucket. Note that the I/Z fares on such a trip aren't substantially cheaper (but only get half of the TP earning).

The rub is that the website says "Virgin-marketed", so...well, you see the concern.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 10:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A Gold
Headforpoints have run an article today answering your questions:

https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/0...nd-air-france/
Old Feb 17, 2020, 4:44 am
AL
Original Poster

Programs: VS Gold, BA Gold, United Platinum Premier, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Elite, Marriott Gold Elite
I booked a tier point run LHR-CDG-AMS-LHR for Ł340 on KL this morning, all in U, which bags me 30 TPs, and therefore over the line for Gold for the next year. Thankfully, I get in to LHR the morning before and have some annual leave rolled over to use up!
Old Feb 18, 2020, 10:20 am

Anybody have any good routings starting in London, AMS or CDG for Tier point runs to Europe??

Some of these segments over 600 miles will apparently return 200 tier points each segment!, if in the right booking classes.

KLM website doesn’t seem to advise you of bookings class when making a reservation as far as I can tell.

This honeymoon period for earning Virgin Tier Points surely won’t last for long!! I’d like to get to gold ASAP and make use of upgrade vouchers to Upper Class (from virgin credit card), next year!
Old May 3, 2021, 2:13 am

Has anyone managed a 100 tier point run for a KLM/AF flight over 600 miles? Still not sure how "Virgin-marketed" flights limits the options?
Old May 4, 2021, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
A Virgin Marketed flight is one that they sell (either online or phone) with a VS flight number even if it's operated by AF/KL

Not all flights on the other airlines will be marketed by VS - especially stand alone ones - hence the limited options to get a 600 mile TP flight with a VS number

What you would need to do is find a flight ex AMS/CDG that is more than 600 miles long and then see if VS can sell you that flight (likely with an ex UK start point) under a VS flight number.
Old May 4, 2021, 3:43 pm

I can find flights on KLM using the Virgin website using points but not for cash. Example HUY - NCE for 22000 points plus Ł89 in Economy booking class O. Would this earn 10 tier points + 25 tier points for each leg? Or does it need to be a cash booking?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.