Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

VS schedule change on LHR-DEL: Can I make a 10 minute LHR connection?

VS schedule change on LHR-DEL: Can I make a 10 minute LHR connection?

Old Jan 7, 20, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA Silver, AlaskaAir Gold, HHonors DIA, Accor Silver, Marriott Silver, IHG Plat, TK/UA/AA
Talking VS schedule change on LHR-DEL: Can I make a 10 minute LHR connection?

I've got a VS-ticketed, VS-booked ticket in Upper Class (Z).

Just flew DEL-LHR, then LHR-MSP.

Return is an odd one; MSP-BOS (overnight)- LHR-DEL. I think it's a weird DEL-BOS fare that allowed me a routing via MSP.

When booked, it was:
Friday MSP-BOS
Saturday BOS-LHR 8:05-19:55, connecting to:
Saturday LHR-DEL 21:20-11:15am, so I had about 90 min in LHR

Now that VS have added a second daily LHR-DEL flight (a late morning departure), they have oddly moved the DEL flight to 20:05, thereby giving me 10 min to connect at LHR. "You are at risk of missing a connecting flight." Ummm maybe? Also odd is that now the JFK and BOS morning flights can't possibly connect to this new timing.
Sorry for the long explanation, but....
How is VS with schedule changes?
I'm curious if they will let me connect via ATL/JFK etc, and if I don't have to go via BOS at all. As of now, if I'm forced to keep my first flight Friday night, I will now have about 24 hours in BOS instead of the original 12.
I think I will be, either way, arriving or departing at least 12 hours early/late, so it's quite a big schedule change.
Thoughts?
That said, I must say that my VS flight DEL-LHR was absolutely brilliant. Superb food, service, IFE, etc. Very happy.
Thanks!
Old Jan 7, 20, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
Put a reasonable alternative to them and see what you say.

A 10 minute connection is not goign to happen and they will catch it sooner rather than later.

As long as you start in MSP and end up in LHR and then DEL they should be amenable to changes as long as it's a pretty direct routing so MSP to another VS/DL TATL base so JFK or ATL for example.

Feed the flight numbers to the VS agent to make it easier for them.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 7, 20, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA Silver, AlaskaAir Gold, HHonors DIA, Accor Silver, Marriott Silver, IHG Plat, TK/UA/AA
Any opinions on here on connecting in IAD/BOS/JFK? Those seem to be the options that VS is giving me if I just put in a simple MSP-DEL. Unfortunately, these new DEL timings weirdly make impossible VS connections from the morning BOS/JFK flights, as well as any flight from ATL/BOS/JFK/IAD that arrives after 08:00. I wonder if the BOS/JFK flight times will be amended so those pax can connect to DEL?
Old Jan 9, 20, 6:37 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
If you route via JFK, you will get the new 350. i would see if they can route you that way. A bit of a short flight, but a very nice new cabin!
Old Jan 9, 20, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by divrdrew View Post
If you route via JFK, you will get the new 350. i would see if they can route you that way. A bit of a short flight, but a very nice new cabin!
Actually that's just what I was thinking, though in my 5 min of research I'm seeing several negative reviews of the Upper Class A350 seat.... should I ignore that?
Old Jan 9, 20, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Just off the phone with the friendly yet helpless VS agent.
"Since it's more than 14 days out, on a schedule change, you need to rebook into the same booking class... looking at your dates, this could be challenging...."
So, he went directly to a supervisor, and the ONLY option available in Upper Class (Z) is:
MSP-AMS DL (5 hour layover)
AMS-LHR KLM (6 hour layover)
LHR-DEL VS
Instead of 14 hours at BOS and a hotel (paid by me), now I would have long layovers that are too short for a hotel, making it into a very long journey. Also, I think that a VS-coded ticket on KLM metal will not get me any DL miles While that's a short flight, it isn't a good thing. Shouldn't a schedule change open up options for me, instead of make it more difficult?
There are some better connection options, including MSP-ATL/JFK/DTW- LHR-DEL, but those all are sold out in Z class.
For example, I originally asked for:
MSP-JFK (90 min layover)- LHR (90 min)- DEL. But not avail in Z.

I felt bad for the phone agent, he was very apologetic.
I refused the new option via AMS and told him to leave my booking as is for now.
He said I could get a refund (?) if I didn't like the options. nope!

How about they open a seat in Z on one flight-- I surely didn't initiate this issue.
Thoughts?
Old Jan 9, 20, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
Put a reasonable alternative to them and see what you say.

A 10 minute connection is not goign to happen and they will catch it sooner rather than later.

As long as you start in MSP and end up in LHR and then DEL they should be amenable to changes as long as it's a pretty direct routing so MSP to another VS/DL TATL base so JFK or ATL for example.

Feed the flight numbers to the VS agent to make it easier for them.
I was pretty stunned at how powerless the agent was. Absolutely unable to find anything in my booking class, 6+ months out, on multiple days, and all they could come up with was the above routing.
Old Jan 10, 20, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by kyushuman View Post
Actually that's just what I was thinking, though in my 5 min of research I'm seeing several negative reviews of the Upper Class A350 seat.... should I ignore that?
The only real issue is the tray table and lack of storage. If the table will be a problem for you, go for 1A/K, if not, you should be fine.

I loved the new seat, even if it isn't perfect, it's so comfortable and private - I was in 1A though.
Old Jan 10, 20, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
I was pretty stunned at how powerless the agent was. Absolutely unable to find anything in my booking class, 6+ months out, on multiple days, and all they could come up with was the above routing.
I think that's definitly a case of hang up and call again and get a supervisor involved.

Booking class should not come into it. This is a reroute caused by their actions not because you changed your mind.
Old Jan 10, 20, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Well, here are the rules that I googled -- these are published to Travel Agent GDS, and it's just what the phone rep was saying (even though I booked directly through VS). Total rubbish rules that some higher-up at VS created, since this is an INVOL schedule change. I wonder what I would be given if I didn't say anything and eventually get contacted by VS about this. Maybe I should just wait?

"To re-accommodate a customer on a new flight, the original ticketed class of service must be available for the new desired flight(s). If the original ticketed class of service is not available for the new desired flight(s), you must contact Virgin Atlantic Sales Support.  dates can be a day on either side of the original travel date PNR must be documented with the following OSI entry:  SI VS INVOL SCHEDULE CHANGE VS XXX/DATE  SI VS REISSUE FOC Please reissue tickets to include “INVOL SCHEDULE CHANGE VS XXX ” in the endorsement box and where supported precede the fare calculation with an “I-“ VIRGIN ATLANTIC Travel Agents and Consultants – Global Schedule Change Policy Global Sales V2.
Original Booking Class not available Cont’d Inside 14 days of Departure To re-accommodate a customer on a new flight, the original ticketed class of service must be available for the new desired flight(s)  dates can be a day on either side of the original travel date in the same class of service  If original class is not available on the original travel date, rebook using the lowest class within original cabin PNR must be documented with the following OSI entry:  SI VS INVOL SCHEDULE CHANGE VS XXX/DATE  SI VS REISSUE FOC Please reissue tickets to include “INVOL SCHEDULE CHANGE VS XXX ” in the endorsement box and where supported precede the fare calculation with an “I-“
10 December 2018 PAGE 6 "
Old Jan 13, 20, 3:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Well 10 mins is obviously an illegal connnection for LHR so they have to find you something.

In my experience going with 1 or 5 options in mi D ready to put to then is the best approach, as opposed to asking them to do something on their own initiative
Old Jan 13, 20, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tuonopepper View Post
Well 10 mins is obviously an illegal connnection for LHR so they have to find you something.

In my experience going with 1 or 5 options in mi D ready to put to then is the best approach, as opposed to asking them to do something on their own initiative
I was ready with MSP-JFK-LHR-DEL, or via BOS etc-- all came back with "computer says no" -- "Z Class isn't available".
Even asking a supervisor they came up with the AMS/LHR connections from MSP, which might be ok if there weren't 6 hours in AMS and 5 hours in LHR!
One issue I'm realizing is that there needs to be VS codeshares on Delta metal available in Z class from MSP to XXX (BOS/JFK/AMS/ATL etc) to a connecting city.
I'm also now seeing Z class with an 07:00 departure, then 9 hours in JFK. Ugh.
Old Jan 13, 20, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
I was ready with MSP-JFK-LHR-DEL, or via BOS etc-- all came back with "computer says no" -- "Z Class isn't available".
Even asking a supervisor they came up with the AMS/LHR connections from MSP, which might be ok if there weren't 6 hours in AMS and 5 hours in LHR!
One issue I'm realizing is that there needs to be VS codeshares on Delta metal available in Z class from MSP to XXX (BOS/JFK/AMS/ATL etc) to a connecting city.
I'm also now seeing Z class with an 07:00 departure, then 9 hours in JFK. Ugh.
they should be able to override that on their own metal. Is MSP-JFK available?
Old Jan 13, 20, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
they should be able to override that on their own metal. Is MSP-JFK available?
Great question. I realized above that might be the reason, so I will call back and ask.
Old Jan 13, 20, 5:50 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
Let us know how it goes. As for the 350, definitely ignore the negative reviews. The seats are lovely. A bit narrow, but not as narrow as the older seats on the 330 / 787 / etc. The tray table is still a bit of a pain, but not a big deal. I was able to use the little shelves to store my ipad, cables, etc. Some small storage on the floor that they seem to ignore. Seats, crew ,IFE, etc, were all outstanding on the 350 out, crew not so much on the return. Definitely hooked me on VS!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: