Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Earning Miles

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2020, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Question Earning Miles

What is the quickest way for miles to be credited to your account? I have miles due to expire in a few weeks and would like to keep them. I’ve tried shops away and Virgin wines but account still not credited.
Thanks for any advice.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 6:34 am

Hi Scottie,

Given that you just need some activity on the account, perhaps purchasing some miles via virgin will count and stop your others expiring? Should be instantaneous, although that Ł15 per 1,000 miles at the moment (plus a Ł15 admin charge per transaction, irrespective of amount purchased), this might not be the most economical, but quickest and safest method??

Depends how how many are due to expire I guess. Purchasing 1k miles for Ł30 (inc admin fee) might be a bit steep if you only have 10,000 due to expire. But if you have 300,000 it might seem reasonable.

alternatively, a Tesco clubcard Points transfer might also be fairly quick?? Cheers
Old Jan 4, 2020, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Don’t rely on shops away or virgin wines crediting your account quickly especially if your miles are about to expire.

the only instant way is to buy miles but it’s your assessment if that is good value for you.

If yiu have no use for them then look at which partners yiu can transfer them out too but that might not be good value either.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Tesco miles arrive overnight, if you have vouchers. Otherwise I can't think of a partner that is super fast and reliable.

If you have access to a family member's orphaned miles, you can transfer them to your account. Normally really dumb, but cheaper than simply buying miles.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scottie920
What is the quickest way for miles to be credited to your account? I have miles due to expire in a few weeks and would like to keep them. I’ve tried shops away and Virgin wines but account still not credited.
Thanks for any advice.
Options for Expiring Miles
Old Jan 30, 2020, 11:43 am

Programs: BA VS
Not about expiring Miles but Shops Away: It looks as if they have cut back the number of shopping partners and now really only travel partners? In the past I've used Currys through Shops Away but cannot now see them.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Paxing
Not about expiring Miles but Shops Away: It looks as if they have cut back the number of shopping partners and now really only travel partners? In the past I've used Currys through Shops Away but cannot now see them.
not sure how to post a picture in a link here, but can confirm curry’s still there. Haven’t noticed any cutbacks.

Seems to be 1 mile /Ł at the moment. Are you logged in when checking? Perhaps it’s an account specific issue if you’ve really benefited from certain partners in the past?

just speculating!
Old Jan 30, 2020, 12:05 pm

Yes, all logged in and hunted many sub menus. Found travel partners. I used them a year or so ago and (as others have complained) took more than six months and prompting to get points through.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 12:08 pm

There we go! Figured it out. Screen shot from a few minutes ago... not that it helps you, sorry! Maybe worth messaging Shops away/Flying Club
Old Jan 30, 2020, 12:16 pm

Yep, that was the page I was looking for! Ah well too late now. But thanks for looking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.