Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

New miles earning limit on the UK VS Mastercard

Old Dec 12, 19, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)

I have just had an e-mail which cheerily announces that as of 7 January:-

"We are writing to advise you of a change we are making to the Virgin Atlantic Reward and Reward+ Credit Card Terms and Conditions. The change is shown below and will apply from the 7th of January 2020.

The miles you can earn each month will be capped based on spending an equivalent of your credit limit each month. For example, if your credit limit is 5,000 the first 5,000 of spending in the statement cycle will be eligible for miles. If you make multiple payments and spend more than 5,000 in the month, the spending eligible for miles will be capped at 5,000."

I am wondering whether this is a general limitation, or whether I am one of a number who have been singled out ,as I have been making a lot of large HMRC payments through my Curve and Paypal Business debit cards which are both linked to my VS credit card.

Or is this a more general restriction ? It probably does not really matter that much, as HMRC seem to have now blocked the Paypal card and Curve is limiting use of their card on the HMRC website from January.

It seems that all good things must pass
Old Dec 12, 19, 12:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Gold, Virgin Trains Traveller, Her Majesties Secret Service.
If this is indeed the case, that sucks. I want miles for every pound spent. The fact i've paid the bill early to free up more spend is irrelevant.
Old Dec 13, 19, 9:13 am

Nothing received here yet, but will probably just hasten my switch to BA Amex if it does. I've no particular loyalty to Virgin, my spend goes where it ultimately works best for me. So if it works better with BA...
Old Dec 13, 19, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Scott Pilgrim View Post
Nothing received here yet, but will probably just hasten my switch to BA Amex if it does. I've no particular loyalty to Virgin, my spend goes where it ultimately works best for me. So if it works better with BA...
That's fine for merchants who accept Amex at least, but there's not really another non-Amex alternative that comes close to the VS card.
johnny5a and Scott Pilgrim like this.
Old Dec 13, 19, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Theirin View Post
That's fine for merchants who accept Amex at least, but there's not really another non-Amex alternative that comes close to the VS card.
Yup, I've had the BA and other Amex cards in the past and appreciate coverage isn't quite as wide as MasterCard. Much as I'm happy flying Virgin when I can, travel plans over the next few years are better suited to the BA network so in that respect the BA card, even with the Amex limitations, is probably the better choice.
Old Dec 13, 19, 5:29 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Eurostar Carte Blanche, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
It seems there are three scenarios.. One is the email above, second is a version of the email above but it says something along the lines of 'does not affect your card' and finally some people have received no email at all.

Sadly I'm one who has the limit imposed. Quite devastating!
Old Dec 14, 19, 2:19 am

Its on headforpoints this morning. Applies to all I'm afraid.
Scott Pilgrim likes this.
Old Dec 14, 19, 5:37 am

While it's unfortunate for us, it is fair enough I suppose. It's certainly not been (so far) against the rules by any means, but it is a little bit against the spirit, especially for a smaller credit card issuer
Old Dec 14, 19, 11:57 am

Programs: BA Silver, Eurostar Carte Blanche, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by rapidex View Post
Its on headforpoints this morning. Applies to all I'm afraid.
Not true. As I say, there is a version of the email which describes the change then specifically informs you that your card is not affected the change.
Old Dec 14, 19, 11:59 am

For what it's worth, I haven't had an email either way, so who knows what that means
Old Dec 15, 19, 4:21 pm

Haven’t had the email here, and tend to receive their email. Have been clearing the balance mid statement regularly. Wonder if it will apply to me...
Old Dec 16, 19, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
Despite what our article said (which is based on what Virgin told me) it seems that some people have been excluded. One guy I know who puts through 100k per month has been spared. He is a VS Gold, however - it is possible that there is some link to status here.
Old Dec 16, 19, 5:25 am

Programs: One World, Delta
Change to miles collection with credit card

Just received an email to say virgin credit card will cap my miles collection ability to my monthly credit limit even if I payoff each week and reuse. Their example is, if I have a 10k limit I can only connect 10k work of miles in a month, even if I pay 10k off each week and reuse. Being able to spend 40k on my card each month by paying off 10k each week has really boosted my miles balance and I'm feeling cheated that 30k will no longer be able to collect miles. Is this the case for everyone? Why are they now changing the rules ?
Old Dec 16, 19, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
Originally Posted by Shaun Ferguson View Post
Just received an email to say virgin credit card will cap my miles collection ability to my monthly credit limit even if I payoff each week and reuse. Their example is, if I have a 10k limit I can only connect 10k work of miles in a month, even if I pay 10k off each week and reuse. Being able to spend 40k on my card each month by paying off 10k each week has really boosted my miles balance and I'm feeling cheated that 30k will no longer be able to collect miles. Is this the case for everyone? Why are they now changing the rules ?
Let's see ....

Virgin Money gets 0.3p per 1 you spend in interchange fees

Virgin Money pays 1.5 per 1 to Virgin Atlantic to buy you 1.5 Flying Club miles

Rough calculation based on your spend - 160 card fee + 1440 on 480k of spend interchange = 1600 'in' vs 7200 paid 'out' to VS for your miles (reduced to 5,760 if you assume a best case scenario of 0.8p per mile cost to Virgin Money)

Nope, no idea why they've done it.
Old Dec 16, 19, 10:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Gold, Virgin Trains Traveller, Her Majesties Secret Service.
Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
Let's see ....

Virgin Money gets 0.3p per 1 you spend in interchange fees

Virgin Money pays 1.5 per 1 to Virgin Atlantic to buy you 1.5 Flying Club miles

Rough calculation based on your spend - 160 card fee + 1440 on 480k of spend interchange = 1600 'in' vs 7200 paid 'out' to VS for your miles (reduced to 5,760 if you assume a best case scenario of 0.8p per mile cost to Virgin Money)

Nope, no idea why they've done it.
I see your point Raffles, but frankly that is their problem.

Surely they worked all this out prior to offering the card... oh wait, they're a bank, so probably not

Search this Thread
Search Engine: