Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Operational upgrade - does it help to be early at the gate?

Operational upgrade - does it help to be early at the gate?

Old Dec 3, 19, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Question Operational upgrade - does it help to be early at the gate?

So I got my first ever operational upgrade (on any airline), Economy to PE. I am only a moderately frequent flyer and just about to qualify for Silver.

Funny thing was, I tried to upgrade with miles before check-in and was refused because the flight was full. Resigned myself to LHR-LAS in Economy. Happened to notice when the gate opened and was first at the gate. "Your seat has been re-assigned" and I got a bulkhead seat in PE.

I believe the flight was overbooked as we were invited to volunteer for a bump when checking in online. Of course I would like to know why I was selected and how to give myself the best chance next time. Does it help to be early at the gate or was that a coincidence?

Tim
Old Dec 3, 19, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
It has absolutly nothing to do with you being first at the gate.

VS has an algorithm to determine whom it op-ups and it includes things like status, previous flight history and the fare bucket your current ticket is in.

You can't make an op-up happen, It just happens when VS have overbooked. Next time they need to op-up it will more than likely be some one else they want to entice into paying for a higher cabin by giving them a free look
Old Dec 3, 19, 1:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Gold, Virgin Trains Traveller, Her Majesties Secret Service.
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post

VS has an algorithm to determine whom it op-ups and it includes things like status, previous flight history and the fare bucket your current ticket is in.
I agree with everything else you've said, but the algorithm part I dispute. It's a very manual process that requires human intervention. Status, Fare Bucket, BCN, Single traveller are all factors in the picking process, that I do know. I am fairly sure that BCN and Fare Bucket are the main two trump factors in the process.

That being said, if you have been selected you will know when you get to the gate as you will get a magic beep, although this also happens with standard seat moves. If you're using a mobile boarding pass, you'll see the change reflected there before you get to the gate if you keep refreshing it.
Old Dec 3, 19, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks both. What's BCN in this context?

Tim
Old Yesterday, 3:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Gold, Virgin Trains Traveller, Her Majesties Secret Service.
Originally Posted by onlyconnect View Post
Thanks both. What's BCN in this context?
Boarding Control Number. Essentially it's the number you checked in as, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 167th etc. It's on the bottom right of the boarding pass and it'll say something like LHR001 for the first person to check in at LHR. Known also as Sequence number on other booking systems.
onlyconnect likes this.
Old Yesterday, 4:20 am

Programs: VS Gold
Originally Posted by CommanderB View Post
That being said, if you have been selected you will know when you get to the gate as you will get a magic beep, although this also happens with standard seat moves. If you're using a mobile boarding pass, you'll see the change reflected there before you get to the gate if you keep refreshing it.
I actually had my first ever op-up on Friday last week doing LHR-BOS. Was originally booked in Economy Delight on a V fare. Using a mobile boarding pass I noticed as I approached the gate it suddenly became unavailable. Asked at the desk and the lady scuttled away and brought back a printed boarding pass in Premium! Good times.
(Note, I was a single traveller, gold status. Might have helped!)
Old Yesterday, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by SlimpyJones View Post
I actually had my first ever op-up on Friday last week doing LHR-BOS. Was originally booked in Economy Delight on a V fare. Using a mobile boarding pass I noticed as I approached the gate it suddenly became unavailable. Asked at the desk and the lady scuttled away and brought back a printed boarding pass in Premium! Good times.
(Note, I was a single traveller, gold status. Might have helped!)
Welcome to the club, Slimpy. A worthy member if I'd ever known one
SlimpyJones likes this.

Search this Thread