Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

First time Virgin Atlantic flyer... upcoming flight repeatedly cancelled

Old Nov 20, 19, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond; National EE

Were scheduled on an upcoming LHR-ATL on the 346. For the past 4 days, this flight has been cancelled and replaced with a DL flight number in the 9000s and operated on a DL 772.

Should we have any concerns? I assume the capacity of the respective planes is similar so the chance of us being IDBed is negligible.

Are the 346s heading for retirement? Mechanical issues?
Old Nov 20, 19, 1:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Gold, Virgin Trains Traveller, Her Majesties Secret Service.
The 346's are heading for retirement, it keeps being pushed back and is now circa Summer 2020.

VS have a number of fleet issues at the moment, and they're juggling around capacity, which is why the ATL flights have moved to DL operated instead.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much. If ATL isn't your final destination, you might want to speak to VS about a re-route if possible.
Old Nov 22, 19, 5:43 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL Gold Medallion, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by CommanderB View Post
The 346's are heading for retirement, it keeps being pushed back and is now circa Summer 2020.

VS have a number of fleet issues at the moment, and they're juggling around capacity, which is why the ATL flights have moved to DL operated instead.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much. If ATL isn't your final destination, you might want to speak to VS about a re-route if possible.
Interesting, I got caught by this on Sunday and was curious what happened. Has this been an issue for awhile or have they run into some unexpected maintenance issues with the 346's?
Old Nov 22, 19, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by jm0933 View Post
Interesting, I got caught by this on Sunday and was curious what happened. Has this been an issue for awhile or have they run into some unexpected maintenance issues with the 346's?
They were supposed to have been retired by now but they've been extended, I believe primarily due to 787 engine issues.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: