Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wifi costs on 787 fleet

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2019, 3:21 am
Original Poster

Wifi costs on 787 fleet

Does anyone know VS's current wifi prices on the 787 fleet for LHR-HKG? Flying out economy, return premium, both on reward bookings.

Flying next week on VS for the first time in many years. I recall there being two tiers previously, but don't remember the costs.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Million Miler. Hilton Diamond
LHR to SEA was
Chat and Surf 12.99 GBP for light internet and texting use but limited to150mb
WiFi Max 29.99 GBP for internet use but limited to 500mb

Be aware that background apps that you are not aware of will suck up your data limit in a matter of minutes. Make sure your apps are not auto updated. These data limits are unrealistic for an international trip.
BruceyBonus likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Xcelus
LHR to SEA was
Chat and Surf 12.99 GBP for light internet and texting use but limited to150mb
WiFi Max 29.99 GBP for internet use but limited to 500mb

Be aware that background apps that you are not aware of will suck up your data limit in a matter of minutes. Make sure your apps are not auto updated. These data limits are unrealistic for an international trip.
Unrealistic but still a huge improvement - last year the cap for Max on the 787 was 150mb!

Surprisingly ANA has/had the same limit on their 777s as of March this year, it's just not enough.
BruceyBonus likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Theirin
Unrealistic but still a huge improvement - last year the cap for Max on the 787 was 150mb!
Indeed. Last time I flew on Virgin Atlantic, there were two options: 50mb and 150mb. One of my colleagues travelling with me got through about 3x payments in the first quarter of a LHR-LAX flight.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 1:16 pm

There is a positive though - the update 787 WiFi works with Boingo, so if you have the VS + credit card (the £165 one) you can just keep reconnecting for free every time you hit the data cap.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 3:56 pm

Never realized that... how do you log in via Boingo?
Old Nov 24, 2019, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by B-HQC
Never realized that... how do you log in via Boingo?
It's one of the options on the portal when you go to the activation page. Instead of choosing a plan there's an option to log in with either TMobile or Boingo, and then you just log in with the account linked to your mastercard.

I can't remember exactly as I've only been on the 787 with VS twice this year.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 1:15 am

Programs: Amex Cent and all that comes with it
Agreed. 500Mb is 'chocolate teapot' territory. I recall when VS first launched onboard connectivity to The Internet, I was able to stream Netflix to my heart's content.

The Boingo free access sounds good. Will try it on my upcoming flight and report back.

Last edited by mradey; Nov 26, 2019 at 1:20 am
Old Dec 6, 2019, 10:53 am
Original Poster

There were three options on my flight:
20MB, speed limited to 24kbps £2.99
150MB, speed limited to 350kbps £12.99
500MB, didn't note the speed limit £29.99

Last time I used the service (in 2017) it was provided by T-Mobile, now the provider is Panasonic Avionics, so it looks like the plans and speed limits have changed. Slightly amused by the cheapest option being half the speed of dial-up internet. Presumably just intended for those wishing to send an email or two, I'd question whether modern messaging apps would timeout with that sort of speed.

With regards to Boingo, you have to pay a supplement (in addition to the subscription) to get in-flight wifi (on any airline with roaming agreements with Boingo).
Old Dec 6, 2019, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by BruceyBonus
There were three options on my flight:

With regards to Boingo, you have to pay a supplement (in addition to the subscription) to get in-flight wifi (on any airline with roaming agreements with Boingo).
I'm not sure if that's a recent change then - I definitely was not charged on any of the occasions I logged in with Boingo.

Perhaps it's related to having Boingo from the Virgin Atlantic Mastercard? - I don't pay a subscription for Boingo as it comes free as a perk with the credit card.

ETA: When I tried to use Boingo on AA it didn't work, but it worked fine with VS.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Theirin
Perhaps it's related to having Boingo from the Virgin Atlantic Mastercard? - I don't pay a subscription for Boingo as it comes free as a perk with the credit card.
Yes, I believe that is the case. All other Boingo subscribers have to pay extra.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 8:16 am

I would hope that Virgin for the time being at least mimics DL/KLM/AF and does free messaging: https://paxex.aero/virgin-atlantic-free-wifi/
Old May 31, 2022, 9:00 am

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist

I know this is an old thread, but I couldn't find the info anywhere. Here's the wifi cost for the 787-9 on an SFO-LHR flight.

Needless to say, I didn't buy.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 8:28 am
formerl motty

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, VS Gold, Hertz Pres. Circ, Avis Pres Plus, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dordal

I know this is an old thread, but I couldn't find the info anywhere. Here's the wifi cost for the 787-9 on an SFO-LHR flight.

Needless to say, I didn't buy.
United Airlines also made texting free. United also charges about $25 for unlimited data on a EWR-TLV 12 hour flight. The data caps and higher costs simply make Virgin's wifi a losing proposition.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.