High UC Fares

Old Oct 23, 19, 8:43 am
Original Poster

High UC Fares

Hi All

Anyone shed any light on why UC fares are so high in September 2020?

Looking for LHR-SEA and its coming up at 4500 for a return flight 3-14 September?

Seems astronomical to say BA is 1600 in Club and a similar period in August is around 1700 with Virgin?

Unsure why they would be so high?

Thanks
Old Oct 23, 19, 9:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
The only people who book a paid flight 11 months in advance have very specific, inflexible reasons to do so. (weddings, graduations, sporting events, conferences, etc.) Therefore some airlines don't release availability in lower fare buckets right away. Eventually VS fares should come down...
WheelsUpGal likes this.
Old Oct 24, 19, 12:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Gold, Virgin Trains Traveller, Her Majesties Secret Service.
I concur with craigthemif, wait about 2/3 weeks and see if the price changes. VS load the expensive buckets first and then release the cheaper ones a bit later, for the reason already specified.
Old Oct 25, 19, 1:50 am
Original Poster

Thanks both. It's annoying as I wanted to book a Companion reward and both flights had UC reward seats but these have since gone.

Hopefully prices will fall and some more reward seats will become available.
Old Oct 25, 19, 2:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IWood View Post
Thanks both. It's annoying as I wanted to book a Companion reward and both flights had UC reward seats but these have since gone.
You cannot book a companion reward on the cheapest Z class Upper Class anyhow.

Every time I've looked at it - paying a more expensive UC fare PLUS the taxes/surcharges on the companion reward is more expensive than buying 2 Z class tickets in the first place.
Old Oct 25, 19, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Interesting!

It may be a better idea to buy the small amount of miles I need to be able to afford the full 1 UC reward seat and then purchase the other seat as a Z class cash seat then and not bother with the companion reward at all.
Old Oct 25, 19, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by IWood View Post
Interesting!

It may be a better idea to buy the small amount of miles I need to be able to afford the full 1 UC reward seat and then purchase the other seat as a Z class cash seat then and not bother with the companion reward at all.
Especially if you have a good Buy Miles bonus at the moment!
Old Oct 25, 19, 8:11 am

I found that the prices almost halved to Miami if I went onto Air France and selected CDG-MIA via LHR. The price was significantly less than LHR-MIA, although obviously you would need positioning flights.

Might be worth a look.

BA (oddly enough from CDG) proved cheaper still so I'm going with them instead.
Old Oct 25, 19, 10:09 am

Programs: VS Gold
Alas, that does involve flying BA...
Old Oct 25, 19, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by SlimpyJones View Post
Alas, that does involve flying BA...
My thoughts exactly!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: