Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

VS joining Asia JV with China Eastern and AF-KL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2019, 6:57 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond; VS Gold; Uber Diamond

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300942631.html

In addition to the pending TATL JV between VS, DL, AF, and KL, it looks like VS will be forming a separate Europe-Asia JV composed of VS, KL, AF, and China Eastern.

Seems to be an indirect way of furthering DL's grip on VS, and VS inching ever closer to SkyTeam.

Will be interesting to see what earn/redeem options this opens up for FlyingClub.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 2:41 am

I saw this news, unfortunately I can't say that I'm too excited - at the moment China isn't an attractive destination for me, and more SkyTeam or ex-Sky Team partners isn't really a big positive.

If it has to be SkyTeam partners, Korean Air might be nice, but otherwise I don't see it as particularly a big positive.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 1:25 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond; VS Gold; Uber Diamond
Originally Posted by Theirin
I saw this news, unfortunately I can't say that I'm too excited - at the moment China isn't an attractive destination for me, and more SkyTeam or ex-Sky Team partners isn't really a big positive.

If it has to be SkyTeam partners, Korean Air might be nice, but otherwise I don't see it as particularly a big positive.
I agree with your sentiments entirely.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by Theirin

For me, the big advantage is not necessarily flying ST to China, but THROUGH China. Great connections to other locations at a reasonable price in J. Frequently over 50% off the competing airlines.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by divrdrew
For me, the big advantage is not necessarily flying ST to China, but THROUGH China. Great connections to other locations at a reasonable price in J. Frequently over 50% off the competing airlines.
There are reasons why it's so much cheaper though. Yes, it's subsidized by the government, but service and on-board product are unreliable on most of the Chinese airlines judging by reviews.

Plus, transiting through China brings just the same potential risks as going to China, given how they're not above using foreign visitors for political leverage.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 4:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
We did a China Southern flight last year JFK-SIN and it was amazing. Food and service both outstanding, lounge in Guangzhou airport was nice, and stopover on way back was fun. Great experience all around. Not as good as J on QR or F in LH, but way better than any of the US carriers. I agree with your comment though on consistency...based on reviews I've read, many have not had the same experience as we did.

Last edited by divrdrew; Nov 7, 2019 at 5:35 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.