Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A350 UC tray table space - any fix yet?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2019, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
A350 UC tray table space - any fix yet?

Reading reviews online, it seems the tray table is uncomfortably near to the passenger, with no way to move it further away. For a larger person, would this be an issue?
Old Sep 13, 2019, 11:40 am

From the reviews I've read I think it could be in one position, but I've also read that you can move it to the side, just not back and forth, although according to Gilbert at GSTP they're changing these out, so it might not be a problem for long -

"If there’s an initial gripe to be had with the new upper class suite, it would simply be the proximity of the large tray table to the body. It swivels nicely allowing you space to eat on the side, but if you’re on a laptop and working away, you may need to do a few crunches or crash diet to ensure enough space if you’re reclined in the slightest. As I write this, I feel a need to hit a gym, fast. Fortunately, it sounds like these are being swapped out, quickly on new deliveries."
Old Sep 16, 2019, 6:48 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
"Swapped out on new deliveries." implies that the aircraft already delivered will keep the old tray table. Let's hope that gets swapped out as well.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 8:41 am

Reading between the lines it seems unlikely that VS would create an inconsistent product on their flagship planes, so I'm assuming this will be rectified on the current one too!
Old Sep 29, 2019, 9:53 am

Retrofit to current planes is in October. Looks like went with a split table design but a bit hard to imagine with the description provided.

https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2019/0...e-in-business/
Old Sep 30, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: SQ TPPS/*G, Starlux Explorer, (Almost Lifetime) Hyatt Globalist
On VS137/G-VPOP now seated in 1A. The tray table is fine in this seat (compared to other seats). For reference I am 6'3 / 190cm but fairly slim. The other item I would highlight about 1A is that the moveable armrest can be lowered to a level lower than other seats allowing you to exit easily while using the tray table.

As a regular on SQ, what I can say is that the inflight service is lacking attention to detail. But perhaps this is an unfair comparison.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by bpk6h
On VS137/G-VPOP now seated in 1A. The tray table is fine in this seat (compared to other seats). For reference I am 6'3 / 190cm but fairly slim. The other item I would highlight about 1A is that the moveable armrest can be lowered to a level lower than other seats allowing you to exit easily while using the tray table.

As a regular on SQ, what I can say is that the inflight service is lacking attention to detail. But perhaps this is an unfair comparison.
That will be my seat in 2 days

I think that's probably fair - VS definitely go for more of a laid back approach that you would expect on SQ or NH, or even BA. I quite like their approach though.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 10:38 am

I don't want to appear picky or sound self-important but I was a bit surprised when the cheese tray arrived and there was nothing left. Apologies were served in addition to just one last piece of Stilton and nothing left of the other cheeses. I had passed on the dessert earlier but was told I had to wait 25-30min for the cheese service to come around only to receive the final crumb. Nothing too dissimilar though compared to the other choices of UA, AA, and BA. All in all it's a good seat and as an SQ flier with a *G choice would take it over the UA Polaris which I have done on both the 787-10 and refurbished 767 high-J.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 10:41 am

Wow, that's bad, not what I've usually experienced with VS. Hopefully they improve over the rest of the flight!
Old Sep 30, 2019, 10:53 am

Theirin...safe travels! The A350 is a fantastic plane...and unlike SQ's -900s, these have that rarity of a window in the lav! I'll be on SQ21 in a few days...more time on the A350 and a chance to check out the Clubhouse at EWR - a first for me.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 3:45 pm

Programs: BA Silver

I was on the same flight in 9K. I am neither 6' 3", nor fairly slim - more 5' 6" and quite portly I have to say that the tray table is MASSIVE! I've attached a photo for reference - it's way bigger than the IFE screen (table on left, IFE screen on right), which is already a fair size. With the table down in its 'base' position, it just barely touched my stomach. When swivelled round to be in front of me, it was jammed up against my tummy. I wouldn't say it was uncomfortable, but it was a bit of an annoyance.

The good news is there's ample scope for reducing the size of the table to address this problem - I have no idea why it was made so big to begin with.

I agree with the SQ comparison, having done a few trips in Asia recently - although the new Virgin seat did remind me of the SQ business seat, including the little cubby hole that your feet slot into...

Old Sep 30, 2019, 4:19 pm

Here's the table in 1A. I think there is significantly more 'belly' room in this seat compared to the other seats.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 5:28 pm

Programs: BA Silver

Here's the table in 1A. I think there is significantly more 'belly' room in this seat compared to the other seats.
Am now seated in 1A for my return and can confirm there is about 1-2 inches additional space between me and the tray. For the waistband-challenged this is definitely the preferred seat :-)
Old Oct 11, 2019, 2:39 pm

On VS137/G-VPOP now seated in 1A
Having done both 1A and 4K, it felt nice and "snug" for sleeping in 4K and had no issues with working in either, so would pick 1 for day and 2+ for nights personally (and have just done so for my JFK trip)

Not had a chance to travel with a colleague in UC yet, so not tried the middle seats - the older layout was not inducive to shared working unless you sat on their footstool, facing the same way I imagine will be better.

Any thanks to the other posters, I now know there is a window in the toilet (yet to need to use it) - also wasn't aware that it's a rare thing now !
Old Nov 10, 2019, 7:12 am

Does anyone know if they finally retrofitted the new table?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.