FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-atlantic-airways-flying-club-506/)
-   -   Flying Club v KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-atlantic-airways-flying-club/1986519-flying-club-v-krisflyer.html)

Y29M Sep 9, 2019 1:57 am

Flying Club v KrisFlyer

Hi all,

I've got a couple of TATL trips booked later this year - one in Economy Delight/Comfort + with Virgin and Delta (MAN-ATL-AUS-ATL-MAN) and one in a combination of Economy/Premium Economy with Singapore Airlines (MAN-IAH-MAN). I was wondering how best to credit these to FF accounts to get the best value out of my miles; I'm likely to use Virgin more frequently than Singapore in the future, so at this point opening a Flying Club account and crediting the Singapore Airlines miles to this seems logical. I also don't want to miss out on the extra miles that an Economy Delight fare provides. Will I get full mileage credit for the Singapore Airlines Premium Economy fare on Virgin?

I've also got a few thousand Delta miles knocking around from a few years ago, but I don't think I can credit Singapore Airlines miles to my Skymiles account (unless I'm mistaken).

Apologies for all the questions, but most of my flying has been with BA/American, so I don't have much knowledge here.

Thanks in advance!

Theirin Sep 9, 2019 10:18 am

A Flying Club account would be a sensible option, especially since VS have some good value redemption on DL as well.

Do be aware however that Virgin have higher award fees on their own flights and some partners.

You can find the full earning list for Singapore here.

I've also pasted it below for easy reference.
Economy Class Y, B, E, - 100%
Economy ClassM, H, W - 75%
Premium Economy - S, P, T, R, L -100%
Business Class - J, C, D, Z, U - 125%
First Class / Suites - F, A - 150%

ETA: *Non qualifying classes O, I, Q, N, V, K, G, X

craigthemif Sep 9, 2019 10:25 am

First of all, it's worth checking out wheretocredit.com for an easy way of finding out which ffps offer which % of miles flown for your booked fare classes. It will show you your options.

However, since you are based in the UK, there are so many different ways of earning VS miles (Tesco, etc.) that you will find it far easier to top up for a reward via Flying Club. Unless you have a really good idea of what you are doing, that would be the straightforward option.

Krisflyer does allow UK Amex point conversions, but that's about it for ground-based earning. But many people love the programme because it's the only way to access premium cabin awards on SQ metal.

Y29M Sep 15, 2019 1:24 pm

Thanks both for your really helpful responses. I've gone with Flying Club (though this was simplified by also now having a couple of DL flights early next year).