Connecting via LHR on FlyBE/VS

Old Sep 6, 19, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Connecting via LHR on FlyBE/VS

Looking for some wisdom from the collective.

Just booked an UC return, EDI-LHR-DEL for a business trip in November. Decided to go VS so as to take advantage of the Status match offer to my BA Gold.

It's all single ticket with the FlyBE EDI-LHR segments on VS flight numbers, connection is roughly 3.5 hrs at LHR.

Couple of questions:-

1). Will be travelling HBO, given the small bins on the Q400 do they do valet bags for collection at the steps at LHR or try to force you to check in the bag? I'm pretty sure I've had the bag I'll be using on the FlyBe Embraer before not sure about the Q400.
2). LHR web suggest air-side connection between T2 and T3 however, given the connection time is it better going landside and using the Virgin UC wing in T3?
3). Seat recommendations for the 787 in UC gratefully received.
4). I'm likely to not need the final sector from LHR back to EDI, I assume there's no issue, being HBO just being a no show as it's the last sector. I have no issue letting them know on the day so they aren't hanging around or looking for me. I've done this on BA no issue many times but first flight with VS in many years.

Finally any other pointers to fully enjoy the experience?

TIA
Old Sep 9, 19, 2:43 am

Programs: VS Gold
I've never done this connection before but I'll try to offer some pointers:

1) I'm afraid I have no idea here.

2) I personally would not bother with this, if I was in your shoes I would prefer connect airside to have more time in the Clubhouse rather than mucking about switching terminals. The wing is a nice experience but I would not sacifice Clubhouse time for it :-)

3) You'll prefer the A-side most likely as it faces the back of the middle row, you are not looking at anyone that way. Avoid seat 7 as it has no window, unless that is your preference.

4) I don't imagine it will be an issue. I would have suggested just booking EDI-LHR-DEL-LHR but since you've booked already there's probably no chance of changing it unless you've booked fully flex.

Hope that helps a bit!
Old Sep 9, 19, 4:49 am

Programs: VS Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat
Re 1st point - spoke to CS about this very point given that Flybe are notorious for hand bag charges. If its on one ticket, they said they would note it on booking so no extra charges were made. Would be worth dropping them a note to try and get something in writing to ensure no issues at gate. I've seen many issues with hand luggage size that didn't seem very large but wouldn't physically fit into the small bins on the Q400

Hopefully the system will get better with the full integration

David
Old Sep 10, 19, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SlimpyJones View Post
I've never done this connection before but I'll try to offer some pointers:

1) I'm afraid I have no idea here.

2) I personally would not bother with this, if I was in your shoes I would prefer connect airside to have more time in the Clubhouse rather than mucking about switching terminals. The wing is a nice experience but I would not sacifice Clubhouse time for it :-)

3) You'll prefer the A-side most likely as it faces the back of the middle row, you are not looking at anyone that way. Avoid seat 7 as it has no window, unless that is your preference.

4) I don't imagine it will be an issue. I would have suggested just booking EDI-LHR-DEL-LHR but since you've booked already there's probably no chance of changing it unless you've booked fully flex.

Hope that helps a bit!
Thanks.

Think airside on point 2 is the way fwd, will look at the seats again also based on your comments.

I would drop the EDI but our Corp travel agent requires in the air time of 10 hrs or more for the Business class option, DEL/LHR is 9.5 typically....
Old Sep 10, 19, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DavidUK View Post
Re 1st point - spoke to CS about this very point given that Flybe are notorious for hand bag charges. If its on one ticket, they said they would note it on booking so no extra charges were made. Would be worth dropping them a note to try and get something in writing to ensure no issues at gate. I've seen many issues with hand luggage size that didn't seem very large but wouldn't physically fit into the small bins on the Q400

Hopefully the system will get better with the full integration

David
OK thanks, I'll ping VS a Direct message on twitter and see what comes back.
Old Sep 11, 19, 12:27 am
Original Poster

Well VS tell me it "should" be the VS hand baggage allowance and I "should" be able to take it on board the Flybe flight, they didn't seem to get the concept of the tiny overhead bins.... They did give me the Flybe PNR so I've pinged Flybe.

I guess I'll limit what I take and use the smaller of my carry on bags. Interestingly, even with the Flybe PNR and access to my booking I can't select a seat on the Flybe sectors, also VS tell me there's no lounge access at EDI.

Updated after speaking to FlyBe..

Despite it being their aircraft and having their booking ref they tell me they can't assign seats as its a VS flight number so VS will have to do it - VS don't have access to do it.

Flybe also think it "Should" be the VS hand baggage allowance but again can't seem to tell me what will happen if it doesn't fit in their baggage guage or the overheads.

No major issues really but let's hope this gets a lot slicker as Connect Airways gets going..

Last edited by tuonopepper; Sep 11, 19 at 12:49 am
Old Sep 11, 19, 3:04 am

Programs: VS Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat
I know its early days, but it needs to get a lot slicker. There's a thread on twitter this morning about a Flybe employee walking up and down the boarding line with a credit card machine in his hand.

The whole connecting thing excites me, being a few miles from Edinburgh airport and having to rely on the unreliable BA - cant wait for the full integration.

(I might challenge the lounge access side of things but if you've priority pass, that'll get you into the 2 of them)

David
Old Sep 11, 19, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DavidUK View Post
I know its early days, but it needs to get a lot slicker. There's a thread on twitter this morning about a Flybe employee walking up and down the boarding line with a credit card machine in his hand.

The whole connecting thing excites me, being a few miles from Edinburgh airport and having to rely on the unreliable BA - cant wait for the full integration.

(I might challenge the lounge access side of things but if you've priority pass, that'll get you into the 2 of them)

David
I've seen Flybe do that at AMS but to be fair their baggage limits are plastered all over the website so people booking a simple Flybe sector have no real excuse, of course connecting to VS is a whole new board game the gate staff are goi g to have to adapt to, preferably quickly, I assume things will be clearer when it's Connect Airways...

I'm close to MAN so the partnership also excites me, but actually more from a SH perspective as I can use FlyBe, KLM, SAS etc and avoid LHR while still getting Into a single reward scheme, from what I can see you need less TPs for gold on VS than BA and the TPs per flight are better than BA even on partner SH.

Lounge access is no big deal I guess, I have Lounge key so can usually get in somewhere, lol. I guess the other aspects will be gasttrac, seat selection etc on FkyBe, SAS etc
Old Sep 11, 19, 10:55 am

It also very much depends on the crew when it comes to baggage. I was on a flybe flight a few weeks ago and a woman behind me had one of those massive hiking backpacks that was not even close to fitting the size restrictions, but along with a crew member and another passenger they managed to squash it into one of the bins, so it worked out okay.
Old Sep 11, 19, 12:51 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Piggybacking on this thread with a similar question.

I'm flying EDI-LHR-JFK, with FlyBe and then VS. The flight connection time is only 1hr 15 mins - I land at 1035, then depart at 1150. Is this enough time to make a T2-T3 airside connection?

I normally fly BA, and would have no concerns doing this with both flights in T5, but I'm not at all familiar with T2&3. I'm flying UC on the LHR-JFK leg, so I should have priority security if that's at all relevant.
Old Sep 11, 19, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
I can't rememner off hand the T2-T3 MCT but this tool will tell you if you are OK if you enter your arriving and departing flight

https://www.heathrow.com/flight-connections

But VS wouldn't have sold the ticket if it didn't meet the MCT or are prepared to take the risk of having to rebooking you if your flybe flight is delayed.

But remember that every day of the year tends of thousands of people do meet the MCT times otherwise they would increase them!.
Old Sep 12, 19, 12:06 am

There are also many JFK departures throughout the day, so unless you are taking the last flight (VS25), you'll be accommodated on the next flight.

Shame you only have a short connection, you won't have much time to sample the Clubhouse.
Old Sep 12, 19, 5:22 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by SlimpyJones View Post
Shame you only have a short connection, you won't have much time to sample the Clubhouse.
Yes, but the later JFK flights are 1,500 more expensive in UC, which seemed a bit on the high side for a couple of hours in the lounge
Old Sep 12, 19, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by Twoflower View Post
Yes, but the later JFK flights are 1,500 more expensive in UC, which seemed a bit on the high side for a couple of hours in the lounge
Haha, fair point!!
Old Sep 12, 19, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Twoflower View Post
Piggybacking on this thread with a similar question.

I'm flying EDI-LHR-JFK, with FlyBe and then VS. The flight connection time is only 1hr 15 mins - I land at 1035, then depart at 1150. Is this enough time to make a T2-T3 airside connection?

I normally fly BA, and would have no concerns doing this with both flights in T5, but I'm not at all familiar with T2&3. I'm flying UC on the LHR-JFK leg, so I should have priority security if that's at all relevant.
I'd say that's tight.

Like you, until his flight I've flown BA connecting through LHR. I'd take 1hr 15 at a push for T5 but even that gives little scope for arrival delays...I've done BA T5 to T3 and wouldn't do a 1hr 15 connection on that, too risky unless there was a later flight out as a backup plan.

I deliberately booked the flight that gives me the 3hr+ connection at LHR, if I get through more quickly I'm sure the Clubhouse will help while away the hours.

Didn't notice if it mentioned when you're flying, im not until he mid of November but happy to report bag on the connection if its before your trip.

Search this Thread