Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Flybe absorbtion/access to LHR VS flights from MAN

Old Sep 2, 2019, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.

Has anyone seen any updates on the Flybe integration into VS operations, its seems to have gone quiet since the approval?

Secondly, what's the best way of accessing VS LH departing LHR when originating at Manchester.... I tried to Plumb in Manchester to Delhi and got Manchester, Newquay, Heathrow, Delhi.... Err, no thanks. Obviously I can take a BA flight MAN/LHR but can that be single ticket to protect connections or am I better just getting the train!?

I'm capitalising on a status match challenge from VS to my BA Exec Gold as may totally switch allegiance next year. I mainly do LH to India or US, the latter being easy from MAN with VS and codeshares and a bunch of euro SH which I'm hoping is where the Flybe piece fits.

Am I dreaming or is there potential here for a resurection of the Little Red wet leased offering that ran MAN/LHR.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
There is the potential for Virgin to screw it up as much as they did Little Red. That said they are part of a consortium so maybe there is a glimmer of hope.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
News seems very slow in coming as to what the actual plan is.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 3:56 pm

Agreed - I flew with FlyBe recently and I would have liked to have earnt some FC miles now that I can't earn Avios.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by tuonopepper
Has anyone seen any updates on the Flybe integration into VS operations, its seems to have gone quiet since the approval?

Secondly, what's the best way of accessing VS LH departing LHR when originating at Manchester.... I tried to Plumb in Manchester to Delhi and got Manchester, Newquay, Heathrow, Delhi.... Err, no thanks. Obviously I can take a BA flight MAN/LHR but can that be single ticket to protect connections or am I better just getting the train!? Yed that can be a single ticket but you may have to use e.g. expedia to buy it rather than the VS website but IIRC VS phone agents can do it even it the website cant

I'm capitalising on a status match challenge from VS to my BA Exec Gold as may totally switch allegiance next year. I mainly do LH to India or US, the latter being easy from MAN with VS and codeshares and a bunch of euro SH which I'm hoping is where the Flybe piece fits.

Am I dreaming or is there potential here for a resurection of the Little Red wet leased offering that ran MAN/LHR. If it happens it would be a flybe flight not like the EI wet lease that Little Red had but if VS could rejig the current flybe slots at LHR then yes MAN-LHR could happen. IIRC the current summer flybee Gurnsey service is using a leased VS slot but I'm not sure of the timings and how it would fit with other VS/DL flights. Indeed other VS changes could already have gobbled up that slot already. But one problem is the T2/T3 transfer issue and HAL would have to agree to reinstate the airside transfer bus that eliminated the need to reclear security at T3.
tuonopepper likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
You need to remember that Virgin only got the keys a few weeks ago. Whilst the deal was announced months and months ago, it needed Governmental approvals. During this process, Flybe staff were not even permitted to officially meet Virgin staff, yet alone start handing over any information.

Things are happening behind the scenes though.
Theirin and tuonopepper like this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 1:45 am

I just don't want the NH partnership to go.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: BD AB CO
Originally Posted by Theirin
I just don't want the NH partnership to go.
Raffles mentioned in a comment on HFP today that Virgin Atlantic WILL be joining Skyteam. My first thought was to get some more NH F flights booked! It would be a tragedy to lose that redemption. Skyteam is a pretty sad collection of airlines, with a few exceptions.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by andymac66
Raffles mentioned in a comment on HFP today that Virgin Atlantic WILL be joining Skyteam. My first thought was to get some more NH F flights booked! It would be a tragedy to lose that redemption. Skyteam is a pretty sad collection of airlines, with a few exceptions.
Agreed! I'm trying to get one booked for next year. It would be nice to have some more redemption options, but where SkyTeam is concerned there are probably other than Delta/AF/KLM who will be covered by the JV, there are more SkyTeam airlines that I'd go out of my way to avoid than those I'd go out of my way to fly.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
can you post a link to the HFP post / comment where Rob says that says VS are joining skyteam please or quote what Rob wrote.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
can you post a link to the HFP post / comment where Rob says that says VS are joining skyteam please or quote what Rob wrote.
  2. LewisB says:
    18 September 2019 at 07:45
    VS need to allow people to upgrade from the free card to the Rewards+ card. I would quite happily upgrade right now but I simply cant unless I cancel and go without for 6 months. You could do this before, you could technically have both. I dont even factor in the 241 as I dont even plan on boarding a Virgin plane. Saving for the KLM integration.

• Rob says:
      18 September 2019 at 08:19
      I have discussed with them. Agree it is weird.

Virgin will be in Skyteam very soon so no problem using the miles. World exclusive there!

Old Sep 19, 2019, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
The link is here -

https://www.headforpoints.com/2019/0...ge-1/#comments
Old Sep 19, 2019, 2:47 pm

VS joining SkyTeam, meanwhile Delta essentially declaring it a failure.

From Delta CEO Ed Bastian -

"One of the things that has not been successful in the airline world are the alliances. We, self-critical, SkyTeam alliance I don’t think we’ve brought a lot of great value to customers, I don’t think we’ve brought a lot of great value to our member airlines. And we’re going at this thing in a very different approach." (Referring to direct investments in airlines such as VS.)

Doesn't exactly inspire confidence that Virgin is embarking on a bright new future!
Silver Fox likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.