How to get to Bangkok from the US with miles

Old Aug 17, 19, 4:51 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Warren Buffet country
Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,167
How to get to Bangkok from the US with miles

I just put in SFO and LAX to Bangkok and search said no service; the drop down box lists Thailand so I assume there is some way to get there. We would like to spend some time at the Conrad Koh Samui next March - how do I book this?
kmandrew is offline  
Old Aug 17, 19, 5:43 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 14,079
Originally Posted by kmandrew View Post
I just put in SFO and LAX to Bangkok and search said no service; the drop down box lists Thailand so I assume there is some way to get there. We would like to spend some time at the Conrad Koh Samui next March - how do I book this?
Start by finding out which VS / VS ff partners fly to some where in the region. Could be many options for routes. You may need to pay cash for some segments

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samui_Airport

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=SFO-BKK...M&MS=wls&DU=mi

A very general guide. May not be accurate for multi leg awards and does not include all ffp's
https://www.awardhacker.com/#f=LAX&f...=0&c=y&s=2&p=1
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Aug 18, 19, 3:30 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Barcelona, London, on a plane
Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 7,084
Using Virgin miles? You need to search for award space on ANA or SQ and then call VS and hope that they also see the same award space.

You will have to fly to BKK or SIN and position to Samui separately.
craigthemif is offline  
Old Aug 18, 19, 7:32 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Warren Buffet country
Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,167
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
Using Virgin miles? You need to search for award space on ANA or SQ and then call VS and hope that they also see the same award space.

You will have to fly to BKK or SIN and position to Samui separately.
My first thought was to do the ANA 95k J from ORD to NRT. Then use AA to get to BKK stay a couple of days then take the ferry but it would run 30k pp or 120k AA miles - ouch.
Iíll, as you both suggested, look for a closer city that is bookable with miles and see how it comes out. I have around 220k Virgin miles to work with, does the ANA 100/95/90 R/T in J only work to Tokyo?
kmandrew is offline  
Old Aug 18, 19, 9:49 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Barcelona, London, on a plane
Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 7,084
Originally Posted by kmandrew View Post
My first thought was to do the ANA 95k J from ORD to NRT. Then use AA to get to BKK stay a couple of days then take the ferry but it would run 30k pp or 120k AA miles - ouch.
Iíll, as you both suggested, look for a closer city that is bookable with miles and see how it comes out. I have around 220k Virgin miles to work with, does the ANA 100/95/90 R/T in J only work to Tokyo?
You can fly onwards from Japan to anywhere in Asia that ANA flies, but that costs additional miles.
craigthemif is offline  
Old Aug 19, 19, 8:09 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Warren Buffet country
Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,167
I think I have this down, please feel free to correct.
I’ll need either 270k or 280k VS miles for 2 - 90/95k pp R/T to Japan then 45k to get to BKK.
i want to travel in February or March 2021 so start calling VS customer service in March of 2020.
I don’t think we will want a layover in Japan, is it possible to book this as one ticket?
kmandrew is offline  
Old Aug 20, 19, 5:14 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Barcelona, London, on a plane
Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 7,084
Originally Posted by kmandrew View Post
I think I have this down, please feel free to correct.
Iíll need either 270k or 280k VS miles for 2 - 90/95k pp R/T to Japan then 45k to get to BKK.
i want to travel in February or March 2021 so start calling VS customer service in March of 2020.
I donít think we will want a layover in Japan, is it possible to book this as one ticket?
Thailand is 65K return in J from Japan, but otherwise it looks about right. Yes you can book as one ticket, although you might need to consider a layover depending on award space and/or a NRT/HND transfer...
craigthemif is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread