Wiki Posts
Search

Points expiry

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2019, 3:14 am
Original Poster

Points expiry

Hi folks

My dear wife has 3000 Virgin miles about to expire. They were gained in some sign up bonus. Is there anything that can be done with them or is just not worth the effort? Transfer requires more as a minimum I think as does giving to charity [!]. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time

TG
Old Aug 16, 2019, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Any activity will reset the clock for another three years. A Tesco voucher conversion for example is quick and easy.

However, if you've had 3,000 miles sitting around for nearly three years, not added to the pile, and don't have a plan for topping up to a useful amount... you really might as well just let them expire or convert them into Hilton or IHG points.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 3:43 am

Installing the Shops Away toolbar gives you 250 miles if you go through the website.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 3:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Any activity will reset the clock for another three years. A Tesco voucher conversion for example is quick and easy.

However, if you've had 3,000 miles sitting around for nearly three years, not added to the pile, and don't have a plan for topping up to a useful amount... you really might as well just let them expire or convert them into Hilton or IHG points.
Yea, would convert to Hilton but there's a 10k minimum.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 3:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CosmicGirl
Installing the Shops Away toolbar gives you 250 miles if you go through the website.
The account is unlikely to be replenished. It was a sign up bonus for a card that is no longer in use. We collect main miles on the VA card. I think these are just going to disappear into cyberspace...
Old Aug 16, 2019, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
FWIW if you take the 1,000 free miles from Tesco every quarter, then you have a one-way flight in Economy within a couple of years... They might not arrive before the OP's miles expire though.

https://insideflyer.co.uk/2019/08/ne...re-free-miles/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.