Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

I have been struggling to use my Flying Club Miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2019, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Location: Birmingham, AL (weekdays) and Atlanta, GA (weekends)
Programs: DL Platinum Medallion

I got the 25% bonus via Membership Rewards and have 204K miles.

Flights I would ideally use them for:

Business class to South Africa from anywhere in US.
Economy class to Europe from BHM or ATL without crazy fuel charges.
Business class to Australia or New Zealand from anywhere in US.
Well-priced domestic award travel.

I can fly from Birmingham, Alabama or Atlanta, Georgia. Beyond that I need a positioning flight.

It's no secret that the website is wonky but after investing a good bit of time, I'm getting frustrated.

I also travel to South America but it seems VS doesn't.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 10:16 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Seems you leapt before you looked on this one. 25% bonuses are nice and there are strong points to the VS redemption chart but it has a lot of limitations compare to a traditional alliance airline FF program.

US to Africa you'll be depending on AF & KLM a lot with SA, DL & KQ on a much more limited basis. Do 1-way searches via the native airline programs to saver/low level awards for segments first building a routing and then seeing if VS can book that availability.

Premium redemptions to NZ & Australia are a big want for a lot of people but you have lots of options. DL, VA & NZ are all partners so do the same kinds of searches

US to South America you're restricted to DL awards.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

I have about 700K on Delta, so transferring 160K MRs to Virgin Atlantic was admittedly a calculated risk, but I didn't bet the whole farm. It seemed worth a try based on friends' comments.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BostonGuy
I have about 700K on Delta, so transferring 160K MRs to Virgin Atlantic was admittedly a calculated risk, but I didn't bet the whole farm. It seemed worth a try based on friends' comments.
That's not a very good friend.

Forget about Africa. Forget about Australia. You are more likely to find a unicorn than get there in J with VS miles.

There are some ways to get to Europe on DL without surcharges, but you need to forget about ATL or BHM and position separately to places like DTW, etc. that have direct flights to Europe on DL with saver award space. I've never seen anything out of ATL because people living there are hub captive and DL doesn't seem to need to fill planes.

The best use of 200+K VS miles is to decide that you want to visit Japan in ANA J or F, but again requiring positioning...
Old Aug 18, 2019, 3:29 am
Original Poster

That's hugely helpful. Really appreciate it. I'll look into Japan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.