Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Possible to claim miles for booking someone else’s flight?

Old Jul 21, 2019, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

I’ve booked an upper class reward return and my friend wants to join (in economy). I tried booking a normal economy delight return but it wouldn’t accept my flying club number. Is there any way at all to book for him and claim the miles? He has no interest in using them so it’ll be a total waste. He could have flown with any other airline so it’s annoying to see the miles go to waste. There seems to be an option to transfer miles but you have to pay to do so!
Old Jul 21, 2019, 5:02 pm

No, you can't claim miles for someone else's flight.

If your friend doesn't want to use them, in addition to gifting/transferring them he could also convert them into Hilton Honors or IHG reward points. I think Marriott was also an option but they're not currently listed on the Flying Club site as a conversion partner.

If none of those options suit he could create a Delta (or other VS partner) account and earn miles in that program.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 5:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Or let them go which is what happens to well over 50% of them !
Old Jul 22, 2019, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Just the fact that your friend knows that you are travelling in Upper Class thanks to miles, and STILL doesn't want to bother...

The price for sharing miles is still reasonable. My partner has an account for picking up free miles from the likes of Tesco, toolbar, etc. Eventually if I need them I'll pay to move them over, as it's cheaper than buying directly much of the time.

So set up an account for your friend, track it in AwardWallet, and then eventually he will earn more miles or you can pay to move them over if it makes sense.
irishguy28 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.