Virgin Atlantic to Delta in Las Vegas

Old Jul 19, 19, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Virgin Atlantic to Delta in Las Vegas

I am looking at a Skymiles flight from TLV-SAN and cheapest option for a Business Class seat is Virgin Atlantic Upper Class TLV-LHR-LAS for 85,000 Skymiles then I can book a cheap paid flight home to Orange County CA airport 3 hours after the Virgin Atlantic flight lands. There is not a late enough flight home on Delta to San Diego but could book on Southwest. Is it an easy connection between Virgin and Delta or Southwest in Las Vegas? On 2 separate tickets will Virgin check my bags thru on the Delta flight? Would there be convenient lounge access for 2+ hours?
Thanks
Old Jul 20, 19, 3:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Because you have to clear US customs, you always have to pick up your luggage and check it back in again.

3 hours won't be enough time. I can't recall if there is Global Entry at LAS, but there have been very long queues at passport control every time I've arrived internationally.

I believe you also would need to change terminals for Southwest (bus).

Your best bet is to spend a night in LAS.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Jul 20, 19, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
What you wrote is a bit confusing.

If your flight from LAS to SAN is on Southwest then no VS won't tag your bags through so yes you'd have to pick them up after customs at LAS and take them to check-in with Southwest.

If it is on DL then they will more than likely tag it through (but still have to colelct at LAS but be able to use any post customs bag drop facility)

Not sure about lounge access - would depend on your status with DL and VS and cabin class - that's even if there is time!
Old Jul 20, 19, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
The Virgin flight arrives in Las Vegas at 5:40 PM. The last Delta flight leaves at 8:45 PM, while the last Southwest flight leaves at 9:55 PM. I figured it would be easier to transfer to Delta than Southwest but if the 3 hours would not leave enough time may have to do Southwest.
Old Jul 20, 19, 5:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If it's a single ticket, surely 3:05 is enough for I-D MCT. Try to put the DL flight on the same ticket. You could even put an earlier DL flight the next day onto the same ticket since international connections can be up to 24 hours, but the hotel would be at your own expense.

If you were arriving on AF/KLM, DL would protect you across separate tickets and also give lounge access, but VS is complicated because they're a bilateral partner with DL but not a SkyTeam member, so the rules are somewhat different and you cannot go by the SkyTeam rules at all. (For instance coach travel on an international itinerary requires DM/PM status for lounge access, not just GM.)

Mty guess is that there's a detailed thread on the rules in either the DL or VS forum. Most DL lounge access rules are "same day" flight criterion, so you can use the lounge upon (international business class) arrival even if you don't have another flight, provided that airport security permits you to get to the door of the lounge, but again the VS/DL partnership is making me uncertain. [I suspect that lounge dragons won't know for sure either, so you could just show your TATL business class boarding pass and see what happens.]
Old Jul 20, 19, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

What I may do is book the Delta flight and as a backup book the later Southwest flight with points and cancel the southwest flight if I make the Delta flight. The Delta flight is only $58 so no big deal if I lose it.

Tonight 1 seat opened on a TLV-LHR-JFJK-SAN flight so I grabbed that and hope another seat opens in 24 hours.
Old Jul 21, 19, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
3 hours won't be enough time.
I seriously doubt this. If 3 hours are not enough for all the formalities, then does it really mean you need half a day?
Old Jul 21, 19, 3:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by garykung View Post
I seriously doubt this. If 3 hours are not enough for all the formalities, then does it really mean you need half a day?
You never have "3 hours". You have until the cut-off deadline for check-in for the next flight. So 2 hours and change.

I can assure you that I've queued at LAS passport control for 75-90 minutes. All it takes is two big planes to arrive at the same time.

Add potential delays, changing terminal, etc...
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jul 21, 19, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
You have until the cut-off deadline for check-in for the next flight. So 2 hours and change.
I do believe many airlines offer OLCI. But baggage can be another story.

I can assure you that I've queued at LAS passport control for 75-90 minutes. All it takes is two big planes to arrive at the same time.
I don't doubt this waiting time, as an understaffed airport can have this happen.

But assuming this is true, I don't believe it would be appropriate to choose LAS as the entry point. Also - if I was the OP, I would simply terminate my trip @ LAS, rest in Las Vegas for the rest of the day, and drive to Orange County next day. It is not that far. There are even long distance buses.
Old Jul 22, 19, 3:16 am

Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (flying BR/UA), WoH♦, HH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
First off, Orange County (John Wayne) airport is SNA, not SAN (which is San Diego airport).

The primary issue is whether VS will interline baggage to DL on separate tickets - can someone who knows VS policy please comment on that? DL's official policy is to interline to VS on separate tickets since they are partners, but I don't know the reverse.

If VS interlines baggage to DL on separate tickets, then all OP has to do is pick up checked bags at LAS, clear customs, and drop them off at the bag drop. OP can then clear security at T3 and proceed to the DL flight in Concourse D. Three hours is plenty of time.

If VS doesn't interline, it's a huge hassle because OP will be kicked out of customs at T3 and have to lug bags to T1 (where DL does ground handling) and it is very inconvenient to change terminals at LAS. There is a long distance between terminals, and the shuttle is slow and runs inconsistently. OP would be forced to do this if taking WN, as WN also does ground handling at T1 and it is not possible to interline with WN. DL's checked baggage cutoff for domestic flights is 45 minutes so this is still a very make-able scenario, but adding at least ~20mins for the terminal transfer really narrows the margin of error.

I can't recall if there is Global Entry at LAS, but there have been very long queues at passport control every time I've arrived internationally.
LAS has Global Entry. A full list of US airports with Global Entry can be found here: https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-t...ntry/locations

I have GE and it has never taken me more than few minutes to clear immigration/customs at LAS.

Originally Posted by garykung View Post
Also - if I was the OP, I would simply terminate my trip @ LAS, rest in Las Vegas for the rest of the day, and drive to Orange County next day. It is not that far. There are even long distance buses.
It's a 4 hour drive even with absolutely no traffic. Also, a one-way rental from LAS to SNA will likely be $100+, then add gas. It's much less convenient and economical than a $58 flight IMO.
Old Jul 24, 19, 11:41 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: DL Diamond; VS Gold; Uber Diamond
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
What you wrote is a bit confusing.

If your flight from LAS to SAN is on Southwest then no VS won't tag your bags through so yes you'd have to pick them up after customs at LAS and take them to check-in with Southwest.

If it is on DL then they will more than likely tag it through (but still have to colelct at LAS but be able to use any post customs bag drop facility)

Not sure about lounge access - would depend on your status with DL and VS and cabin class - that's even if there is time!
re: lounge access. There are basically no real lounges at LAS anyway. There’s “The Club at LAS” but it’s basically a small replete from the (not so bad) terminal with highly mediocre food. Lounge is the last thing I’d consider when planning a transit through LAS. (If you can access the Centurion Lounge, that’s a bit better...)
Old Aug 3, 19, 9:24 pm

I can't recall if there is Global Entry at LAS, but there have been very long queues at passport control every time I've arrived internationally.
There is GA at LAS, although it can be difficult to get past all the queuing arrivees to get to the correct "channel" on occasions - just head down the left-hand-side of everyone until you see the signs
Old Aug 22, 19, 3:36 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hhonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
We arrived yesterday #155 , LHR to LAS. We were in the economy cabin. The flight landed at 2:49 PM ahead of the scheduled time of 3:25 PM. We used Global Entry, there was no one else using the kiosks, not all were operational. We had carry on only and were on the other side in minutes from exiting the plane. Being cautious we had booked our southwest connection to PHX for a 7:45 PM departure, so our wait was long. There is a tram that we used to access C gates for our SW flight. It was very easy. We could have easily taken the earlier 5:25 PM flight to PHX, but we felt it was too close.

Search this Thread