How much better do you sleep in U/C vs Premium?

Old Jun 30, 19, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM + Reserve Card
How much better do you sleep in U/C vs Premium?

Have a bunch of SFO-LHR trips coming, just booked my first in Premium. I typically sleep on my side, and when flying UA Polaris SFO-CDG last Europe trip I slept maybe 2-3 hours. Wondering how much better people sleep in U/C.
Old Jun 30, 19, 11:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
What do you mean by "Premium"? Premium Economy?

You want us to compare an economy seat with a bit extra legroom, recline and width to a flat bed?
Old Jun 30, 19, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM + Reserve Card
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
What do you mean by "Premium"? Premium Economy?

You want us to compare an economy seat with a bit extra legroom, recline and width to a flat bed?
38" pitch/21" width premium seats on the 789s. Yes, the dimension differences are obvious, asking about actual experiences.
Old Jun 30, 19, 11:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PotomacApproach View Post
38" pitch/21" width premium seats on the 789s. Yes, the dimension differences are obvious, asking about actual experiences.
Actual experience is I sleep in a flat bed and don't sleep when upright...

They aren't comparable experiences. A fairly common perspective would be that PE is survivable on a daytime flight, but UC is the only way to go for an overnight when you need to sleep.
Old Jul 1, 19, 1:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match

They aren't comparable experiences. A fairly common perspective would be that PE is survivable on a daytime flight, but UC is the only way to go for an overnight when you need to sleep.
Completely agree. I took two Upper flights and one PE flight over the space of a month last year. I slept pretty well on both Upper flights but not at all on the PE flight, despite it being 12 hours in length and taking off at 10pm in the timezone my body had been in for the previous 2 weeks. I've flown business with a flat bed on around 6 different carriers, and I have to say I've found the VS Upper bed on Dreamliner gives me the best sleep. Obviously, YMMV.
Old Jul 1, 19, 2:37 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Gold, Virgin Trains Traveller, Her Majesties Secret Service.

I am in 100% agreement with craigthemif here.

I've taken dozens of overnight VS flights in both Upper & Premium. I'll almost always sleep in Upper, but never Premium. My strategy for Premium is to stay awake for the entire flight and force myself back into the timezone I am travelling to - not for the faint of hearted, but it works.
itsaboutthejourney likes this.
Old Jul 1, 19, 12:03 pm

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
I agree with commander b.
I Sleep in a sleeping position.
Not when upright
ElmhurstNick likes this.
Old Jul 1, 19, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PotomacApproach View Post
Plenty of people sleep fine in coach.
I am not one of them. I need to be flat-tish (angled flat actually works fine for me).
There will be lots of experiences and opinions, I'm not really sure what you're hoping to get out of this. And I'm totally confused by the inclusion of your Polaris experience. If you could "only" sleep 2-3 hours there, I don't know why Virgin Upper Class would be any different, and obviously premium economy will be a lot less comfortable than either. But for some people it doesn't matter.
Old Jul 3, 19, 1:38 am

Frankly, I sleep about the same in either. I expect to sleep better in a lie flat, but never seem to be able to. Typically 4-5 hours is about the max I can get for either Premium Economy or a lie flat.
Old Jul 3, 19, 7:19 am

Programs: HH Diamond,Virgin Gold, Hyatt Platinum
We are happy with Premium Economy on a daytime flight and find the seats very comfortable with good recline.
However we find Premium very uncomfortable for sleeping and much prefer to be lying flat so try and choose u/c for night flights if we can.
i would say I don't rate u/c for daytime flights much as the seat recline is pretty poor in my opinion
looking forward to the new A350s though which should be a much better experience in u/c
Old Jul 5, 19, 2:23 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond.
Upper class EVERY time if you can afford it.
Old Jul 5, 19, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Upper class EVERY time if you can afford it.
I think you'll find that a healthy percentage of FTers can "afford" to fly UC. Whether this is money well spent is an entirely different matter that each person decides for themselves...
Old Jul 7, 19, 2:03 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Ambassador, Silvercar
Agree 100% on Upper Class

Last edited by cmginc; Jul 7, 19 at 2:03 pm Reason: More info
Old Jul 10, 19, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Plat, BA Silver, WN A-, AA LT Gold, IHG S/KIC, NCR EC
I've not yet flown UC on VS, but I can usually sleep 60% of a Translatlantic flight in J in either direction.

On VS PE, I can't sleep if there is somebody next to me, I'm too worried about tossing about and hitting them in the face with my elbow. If nobody is sitting next to me, I can usually sleep 90 minutes at a time two or three times.
Old Jul 11, 19, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA, DL Silver, AS, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Within the last year I've flown two red-eyes in UC (BOS-LHR, LHR-DXB) and one in PE (LAX-LHR). From just a sleep perspective I honestly can't say I've slept longer in UC. For me, Ambien is an equalizer. I can say I feel a little more physically comfortable when I awake in UC.

Search this Thread